ECN Forum
Posted By: BigB Fiberglass fish tapes - 03/30/07 02:25 AM
Has anyone tried the fiberglass fish tapes? I was looking at a Greenlee one. It looks like they would push through PVC easier than the steel ones.

Do they splinter? I know my fiberglass fish rods get tiny splinters when they get scraped. Every so often I have to spray them with clear laquer to keep the splinters out of my hands.
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: Fiberglass fish tapes - 03/30/07 03:44 AM
I've used the sticks, not the tapes.
Posted By: macmikeman Re: Fiberglass fish tapes - 03/30/07 03:44 AM
I have an Ideal one that is superb. Not sure if it is actually made of fiberglass or plastic, but it slides thru pipe better than the steel ones do.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Fiberglass fish tapes - 03/30/07 07:19 PM
I have a nice yellow one that's 30 feet long. It's great as long as you are going straight with it. You can't "bend a leg" in it like you can with a steel tape, so I stick with steel ones for routine fishing. The fiberglass one is really nice if you are, say, fishing across a ceiling since it stays flat instead of possibly coiling like steel tapes can do. Remember that fiberglass tapes are a bit stiffer, so working with 1/2 or 3/4" pipe might be tougher since these tapes don't bend into a tight radius. I have had mine for about ten years; no splinters or anything like that. I have lost one of the end eyes, so have to just tape the cable onto it.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Fiberglass fish tapes - 03/30/07 07:50 PM
I have an Ideal one that I fished out of the dumpster at the supply house. Somebody didn't like it. Had a kink at the end so I just cut a couple of feet off. This is the plastic flexible one and it goes through pipe great. Don't expect to fish walls and ceilings with it though.

For ceilings especially I have the fiberglass rods. They do shed splinters after awhile. I'll have to try the lacquer treatment, else wear gloves.

-Hal
Posted By: JCooper Re: Fiberglass fish tapes - 03/31/07 06:52 PM
I have a fiberglass one and it is awesome, it is the only way to go when fishing greenfield, I have gotten the fiber snake through a few underground runs where the 1/8" steel wouldn't go. I have had it for about five years and no splinters as of yet. The only complaint was the price, I think it was around $130
Posted By: Elviscat Re: Fiberglass fish tapes - 03/31/07 08:24 PM
yeah, they're good for a lot of things, fishing unknown, abandon conduit runs is nice, *steel hooks on edge of abandon conduit* "Will, go up in the attic (contaning many rat corpses) and find where it got hooked"

they do have a problem with the leaders coming off, I believe Ideal replaces the leaders free of charge for a year or so?

-Will
Posted By: Airborne-Ed Re: Fiberglass fish tapes - 03/31/07 11:09 PM
I have a Ideal that I use at work that I like and feel safer with it. Ed
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Fiberglass fish tapes - 04/01/07 06:03 AM
Ed is the first guy with a compelling answer. I have to say, sometimes I have a little pucker going on when I am fishing with a steel tape. (and I never see K&T)
Posted By: DougW Re: Fiberglass fish tapes - 04/03/07 02:45 AM
I've got a nylon one (forget who it's made by) and I love it for pulling in conduit with energized conductors.
Posted By: ausador Re: Fiberglass fish tapes - 04/03/07 02:53 AM
My only complaint about fiberglass tapes is that (in my experience) it is almost impossible to force them thru 1/2" and 3/4" runs with more than about 240 degrees of bend.

For very short runs even with multiple bends they seem to work, but longer runs?....no way. frown
Posted By: BigB Re: Fiberglass fish tapes - 04/03/07 04:03 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I got the Greenlee. It didn't work too good on 1/2" pvc. After about 70 feet it won't push past fittings. I went back to the steel. I guess I'll try the fiber one on some emt.
Posted By: frank Re: Fiberglass fish tapes - 04/05/07 04:21 AM
We use them for fishing in to live branch panels and pipe with wire is already installed.
Anywhere a steel fish would nick or twist around existing wires in a pipe is where a fiber fish comes out.You can also get new heads drill out the broken one and epoxy it back on.
© ECN Electrical Forums