ECN Forum
Posted By: Bill Addiss Nostalgia Forum? - 08/03/02 04:57 AM
What do you guys think of a "Nostalgia" Forum area? Joe T has offered to help "dig up" some interesting stuff for us and would be a Moderator there as well.

I've wanted to do something along these lines for a long time, I think it would be an interesting place and maybe we could also investigate some of the 'extinct' code rules and practices of days gone by.

What do you think?
Any suggestions for a Name/Title?

[Linked Image]

Bill
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Nostalgia Forum? - 08/03/02 05:14 AM
"Sentimental Journey"

"E-History"

or simply "Nostalgia" would work too!

(Just brain storming here...)

Great idea!
Posted By: sparky Re: Nostalgia Forum? - 08/03/02 10:39 AM
I'd say it would be an interesting addition here, not only in the 'nostagic' sense, but in the aspect of NEC history and evolution.

Many have participated in many on-line chats were older codes are dug up,(i've back to the 56', missing some..) some sort of continuity and/or connection is established.

Besides, there's been some ( as Virg would say) 'heavies' that visit, and have lived the evolution to present day, thier insight and experience is then granted exclusive forum, an eloquent passing of the torch as ever would be...
Posted By: Rabbit Re: Nostalgia Forum? - 08/03/02 01:00 PM
Harumph, Harumph Phenominal idea! [Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Nostalgia Forum? - 08/03/02 04:53 PM
It certainly gets my vote too!

I love looking at and discussing old equipment, the development of systems, practices, etc.
Posted By: master66 Re: Nostalgia Forum? - 08/04/02 04:52 AM
I too think that it's a great idea.

I have two old code books in an oak/glass case near my desk just because I think they are interesting ( '56 & '59).
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Nostalgia Forum? - 08/04/02 06:19 AM
Maybe a bit off topic, but one example of what crazy people can do is: www.fancollectors.org/
Posted By: circuit man Re: Nostalgia Forum? - 08/04/02 03:48 PM
hey this would be a great idea.we could really see & hear about a lot of old time stuff. [Linked Image]
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Nostalgia Forum? - 08/04/02 08:28 PM
What can we do to help contribute?

I'll send pix of old stuff as I come across them... Anything else I can do?
Posted By: pauluk Re: Nostalgia Forum? - 08/04/02 08:37 PM
I've just taken some more pics of old switchgear and fittings. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Nostalgia Forum? - 08/04/02 08:46 PM
How about old advertisements, interesting Newspaper articles, safety campaign literature etc.?

Send all your old Lionel train stuff direct to me.

(just kidding [Linked Image] )

Bill
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Nostalgia Forum? - 08/04/02 09:50 PM
How about ....

"A Switch in Time"

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Nostalgia Forum? - 08/04/02 09:51 PM
OK I've said it before, but... I've got to make a road trip to Point Pleasant, WV and get pictures of the load centers in the Lowe Motor Inn.

Beautiful varnished Oak, brass and copper parts, works of art! With fuse wire, and a glass cover, just gorgeous!

Anyone live near there?
Posted By: aldav53 Re: Nostalgia Forum? - 08/07/02 05:32 AM
I like the Idea, a lot of yesteryear things to talk about. How things have improved! I maybe deverting some, but wonder how many of you used to be Ham Radio Operators?
Posted By: dlabrenz Re: Nostalgia Forum? - 08/07/02 06:43 PM
I like the idea of a forum like that. I collect old code books and the like. It is interesting to see where we have been and where we are going.

By the way still am a ham radio operator.
Posted By: mamills Re: Nostalgia Forum? - 08/07/02 07:49 PM
If y'all have read some of my posts, you know I'm nuts about vintage electrical equipment - switches and boxes, fuse boxes, safety switches, old style circuit breakers, etc., and am always looking for something to add to my collection (much to the dismay of my wife [Linked Image] ). I am also interested in the workmanship of knob and tube wiring and it's attendant devices. I wholeheartedly agree with dlabrenz; it's fascinating to see where this craft has been and where it's going [Linked Image]

"A Switch in Time" sounds good.

Thanks to all of you.

Mike (mamills)
© ECN Electrical Forums