ECN Forum
Posted By: sparky Job Tunes - 03/31/02 02:30 AM
I've always favored some tunes on the job, i see alot of those dewalt radio/chargers have gained popularity lately.
Then there are the crews......
country crews.....
metal crews...
and one dude that goes by the 'rock & roll painter'.....(oldies..)

anywho.....i seem to be getting a fairly diverse diet
how's yours?
[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 03-30-2002).]
Posted By: BrianSparky Re: Job Tunes - 03/31/02 03:01 PM
Depending on the work site, you can get the full measure of musical tastes. Personally I hate listening to heavy metal, it just gets me into a angry mood, you just want to bang some heads! I even prefer Mexican pop music (which I can't understand) over that... but you just have to politely ask them to turn down the metal a little. Once in a while I'll take my turn to blow them away and crank up some Beethoven or Wagner!!!
Posted By: smurf Re: Job Tunes - 03/31/02 04:58 PM
I folks. I just joined. I'm a retired industrial electrician from Ark. I went into electrical contracting and a/c business in 1986. I just found this site and it looks good. Maybe I'll have something from time to time to contribute. But right now on this subject, I have a customer in whose shop they play heavy metal real loud. It gets on nerves so bad I found myself trying to work faster to get out of there, do you reckon that's the whole reason? Any way I'll be around.
Posted By: sparky Re: Job Tunes - 03/31/02 07:15 PM
welcome smurf,
ya i'm not a big metal fan either, I asked the GC jokingly if he saw spikes growin' outta my head.....

he just said 'If It's too loud yer too old"

guess that's why they make ear protection?
[Linked Image]
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Job Tunes - 03/31/02 10:12 PM
Got my truck radio presets on four "local" NPR stations, an oldies R&R, and a classic rock station. I spend most of my time listening to one of the four NPR stations that play jazz, bluegrass, and other "pure" music as well as All Things Considered, Mountain Stage, and Prairie Home Companion.

Yes, sometimes I work real late...

The DeWalt radio seems like a good idea, but for $120, I could buy three stereos from Walmart that have CD and cassette players too, just wrap some EMT around them for a "roll bar".
[Linked Image]
Posted By: sparky Re: Job Tunes - 04/01/02 12:41 AM
yeah,
and break off the perfectly good antenna for a piece of copper wire......
Posted By: wolfdog Re: Job Tunes - 04/01/02 03:23 AM
Hey Smurf, I like the nickname. Where did you get it? Welcome dude.
Posted By: smurf Re: Job Tunes - 04/01/02 04:19 AM
Hey Wolfie,I got it from a cool fellow on another website. Guess who?

[This message has been edited by smurf (edited 03-31-2002).]
Posted By: 3rd degree Burns Re: Job Tunes - 04/01/02 04:19 AM
Well....I have always hated loud heavy metal and I don't like this so called hip-hop....but as a concession I guess I'll keep letting the helpers and apprentices listen to whatever they want to... as loud as they want to.... as long as they want to....since it is probably one of their few perks. Oddly enough, when we leave the jobsite, we leave the radio blasting and the lights on (TXU switchyard in the riverbottoms-who cares?)and one day recently, neither helper showed up. Ten hours later, at the end of the day, I remarked to the other journeyman, "David...you realized we've been listening to that crap all day long and we had a choice? I guess we became immune to it and sorta "tuned it out", not even really noticing it anymore......Burns
Posted By: sparky Re: Job Tunes - 04/01/02 10:26 AM
allota trades show up with tapes &/or CD's, which is usually better than anything mainstream. I haul a CD/tape/Fm box around.

~once in a while theres a few karoke deals goin' on, last time was in a large basement, kinda got the 'reverb' effect....
[Linked Image]
(proof of dayjobs needed)
Posted By: Redsy Re: Job Tunes - 04/01/02 12:15 PM
The good ole' Grateful Dead.
Posted By: spkjpr Re: Job Tunes - 04/02/02 01:39 AM
Country all the way. Last job had to compromise though, the site was full of guys who liked the old rock and roll stuff, but I also lcan listen to it. No heavy metal on my jobs!!!!
Posted By: electure Re: Job Tunes - 04/02/02 12:45 PM
When I get to stop in one spot long enough to plug in a radio, it's blues, old '60 & '70's rock, classical, or Zappa, all on CD.
Jobs often seem to be a form of "radio war", with the Metalmen vs the Mariachis. Also, station KROQ plays the same songs over and over every day [Linked Image] (and Colbane of Nirvana lied...he did have a gun)
If DeWalt would grant me one wish, it would be a resistor ahead of the speakers on their radios.
The hip-hop guys that leave their multi-zillion watt car stereos on all day carry jumper cables, as they can't go home without a jump.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Job Tunes - 04/03/02 07:08 PM
I would prob. get fired if I was listening to music while on the clock
Posted By: Trainwire Re: Job Tunes - 04/03/02 07:19 PM
What's fun, is to get there first, and tune in the local "christian rock" station,real loud, then watch the other's faces when they finally figure out what they have been listening to. [Linked Image] The music ain't bad, and its better than rap. Any body ever see the SNL skit about the gangsta barbershop quartet?
trainwire
Posted By: ElectricAL Re: Job Tunes - 04/04/02 02:53 PM
I don't know what it is, but the older I get, the more I listen to the news, opinion shows and talk shows. I've taken to a small Walkman, AM/FM radio only, and one earphone (I have the luxury of a 24 hour NPR news/talk station). I can go all day with most noise/music environments as just a back drop for what interests me.

When I need a break from the talk I'll steer the job site tunes (if possible) with CD's or tapes: Irish & French folk, Tibetan Monk chants, Polish wedding music, Zappa, Raggae, Hindu Ragas, American Indian drumming, Blues. . . [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: electure Re: Job Tunes - 04/05/02 12:32 AM
I failed to mention... the radio in the Van is tuned to the most recent traffic updates, and Rush (not the band). [Linked Image]
Posted By: The Watt Doctor Re: Job Tunes - 04/05/02 02:51 AM
I'll listen to anything but rap. I'll even listen to the Back Stink...I mean Back Street Boys, and Nstink...I mean Nsync. If the Astros are playing, we usually tune in. We don't have a problem with radios on job sites because anyone who causes trouble gets their radio "meggered" while they're at lunch, or the cord gets cut.....somehow.... [Linked Image]
Would I really do something like that?
I wouldn't, but I know guys who would.

Radiological Regards,
Doc
Posted By: sparky Re: Job Tunes - 04/05/02 10:51 AM
I listen to the Blues when i do my billing...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: gpowellpec Re: Job Tunes - 04/05/02 06:55 PM
I've never been one to want the distraction of music when I was working. After riding around in an old work van without a radio I realized I did not need or really get anything out of the distraction while driving either. It's probably been 3 or more years since I have listened to music or news while driving. After the trip is over I have noticed more scenery, mused more about more important issues, and been much more alert to traffic without being stressed. Since last October I have made a 3000 mile trip, five 2300 mile trips and several shorter ones, all without the distraction of radio or babbling passenger.

I do like to listen to Willie and Waylon if I don't have anything to do or anything on my mind.
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Job Tunes - 04/11/02 04:14 AM
KPIG audio stream on the 'net--100% (Retired) 700MB CD-MP3s of the same for travel.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Job Tunes - 04/23/02 08:59 PM
I hate modern pop, it all just sounds like the same noise to me, though fortunately I don't get stuck with it too often.

My tastes? Any old popular music 1940s-1960s, light jazz, country. No decent radio stations left here though, so it's tapes most of the time.
© ECN Electrical Forums