The Electrical Contractor Network

ECN Electrical Forum
Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Books, Tools and Test Equipment for Electrical and Construction Trades

Register Now!

Register Now!

We want your input!


2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Recent Posts
Sprinklered equipment 26-008
by bigpapa
Yesterday at 04:24 PM
On Delay Relay with Auto Reset
by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
Wow, that was close!
by jraef
11/28/16 07:06 PM
Earthquake in New Zeeland
11/27/16 11:25 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by Tjia1981
11/27/16 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 15
HotLine1 10
Trumpy 8
Texas_Ranger 8
sparkyinak 7
Who's Online
0 registered (), 106 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#83044 - 01/04/03 07:11 AM Outbuildings
ga.sparky56 Offline

Registered: 11/24/02
Posts: 582
Loc: young harris georgia usa
I'm a little hazy about 250.32. When you run a feeders to a 1oo amp panel for a barn or whatever from the panel in the house. Do I stil have to drive a ground rod at the barn even though I have run 2 hot,neutral and ground and seperate neu. and ground in the 100a panel? I have had ahj's tell me yes and no on the ground rod. Russell

2014 / 2011 NEC & Related Books and Study Guides
#83045 - 01/04/03 07:41 AM Re: Outbuildings
resqcapt19 Offline

Registered: 11/10/00
Posts: 2209
Loc: IL
all second buildings that are fed by a feeder require that a grounding electrode be installed at the second building. See 250.32(A).

#83046 - 01/04/03 09:45 AM Re: Outbuildings
Tom Offline

Registered: 01/01/01
Posts: 1069
Loc: Shinnston, WV USA
Actually, you'll probably need 2 ground rods to be in compliance. Unless you've got one of those high dollar testers & live in an area where you can actually get 25 ohms or less with one rod.
Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.

#83047 - 01/04/03 12:13 PM Re: Outbuildings
ga.sparky56 Offline

Registered: 11/24/02
Posts: 582
Loc: young harris georgia usa
Thanks guys. I suspected that. We don't have ahj in this or next county over. The ones I have dealt with are not consistent about yes or no.Now I know.Definitly 2 ground rods.

#83048 - 01/05/03 03:12 AM Re: Outbuildings
Scott35 Offline

Broom Pusher and

Registered: 10/19/00
Posts: 2724
Loc: Anaheim, CA. USA
Just wanted to make sure you were clear to this requirement, and attempt to add a bit to the other posts (which are very much to the point!).

Any "Remote" structure (A structure which is independent, or physically separate from another structure) is required to have it's own local Grounding Electrode System (AKA "GES" at ECN... how about those TLAs??? 'Three Letter Acronyms'...).

For a simple GES, driven rods work fine. Other types of Electrode Systems include encased electrodes, plates, combinations of encased electrodes and driven rods, underground metallic water pipes (yuck!), deep earth rods, water wells with metallic tubing extending deep into the water table (great deep earth electrode!) and such.
I like the idea of combining UFER electrodes with a water well for a nice GES!, but that's another story,,,ahhhm,,, thread!

If the building is made of exposed metal, or if there's a considerable amount of exposed metal which may become energized, bond this to the local GES.
Local GES refers to the GES for that building.

Bond the GES for the remote building to the GES / GEC for the service which feeds it.

For a "Subfeeder" which includes an Equipment Grounding Conductor, bond the EGC to the remote building's GES, to the Subpanel / Subfeeder conduit (if metallic), and land it to the location where the Grounded Conductor and all the EGCs + GEC bond together at the main service.

As to a Subfeeder run without an EGC, this is kind of a "No-Brainer"

Scott s.e.t.
Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!

#83049 - 01/05/03 07:14 AM Re: Outbuildings
ga.sparky56 Offline

Registered: 11/24/02
Posts: 582
Loc: young harris georgia usa
Thanks Scott, All the municipal water systems here are pvc as are most well casings. An uffer is usually the best choice for us. Thanks for the help everyone!


ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals