ECN Forum
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Outbuildings - 01/04/03 03:11 PM
I'm a little hazy about 250.32. When you run a feeders to a 1oo amp panel for a barn or whatever from the panel in the house. Do I stil have to drive a ground rod at the barn even though I have run 2 hot,neutral and ground and seperate neu. and ground in the 100a panel? I have had ahj's tell me yes and no on the ground rod. Russell
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Outbuildings - 01/04/03 03:41 PM
all second buildings that are fed by a feeder require that a grounding electrode be installed at the second building. See 250.32(A).
Don
Posted By: Tom Re: Outbuildings - 01/04/03 05:45 PM
Actually, you'll probably need 2 ground rods to be in compliance. Unless you've got one of those high dollar testers & live in an area where you can actually get 25 ohms or less with one rod.
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: Outbuildings - 01/04/03 08:13 PM
Thanks guys. I suspected that. We don't have ahj in this or next county over. The ones I have dealt with are not consistent about yes or no.Now I know.Definitly 2 ground rods.
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Outbuildings - 01/05/03 11:12 AM
Just wanted to make sure you were clear to this requirement, and attempt to add a bit to the other posts (which are very much to the point!).

Any "Remote" structure (A structure which is independent, or physically separate from another structure) is required to have it's own local Grounding Electrode System (AKA "GES" at ECN... how about those TLAs??? 'Three Letter Acronyms'...).

For a simple GES, driven rods work fine. Other types of Electrode Systems include encased electrodes, plates, combinations of encased electrodes and driven rods, underground metallic water pipes (yuck!), deep earth rods, water wells with metallic tubing extending deep into the water table (great deep earth electrode!) and such.
I like the idea of combining UFER electrodes with a water well for a nice GES!, but that's another story,,,ahhhm,,, thread!

If the building is made of exposed metal, or if there's a considerable amount of exposed metal which may become energized, bond this to the local GES.
Local GES refers to the GES for that building.

Bond the GES for the remote building to the GES / GEC for the service which feeds it.

For a "Subfeeder" which includes an Equipment Grounding Conductor, bond the EGC to the remote building's GES, to the Subpanel / Subfeeder conduit (if metallic), and land it to the location where the Grounded Conductor and all the EGCs + GEC bond together at the main service.

As to a Subfeeder run without an EGC, this is kind of a "No-Brainer" [Linked Image]

Scott s.e.t.
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: Outbuildings - 01/05/03 03:14 PM
Thanks Scott, All the municipal water systems here are pvc as are most well casings. An uffer is usually the best choice for us. Thanks for the help everyone!
© ECN Electrical Forums