Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Recent Posts
Industrail Control Panel bonding per 409.108
by sparkyinak
Yesterday at 03:17 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by aussie240
12/07/16 02:39 AM
Photo Upload Tutorial
by DanK
12/06/16 11:35 PM
Sprinklered equipment 26-008
by bigpapa
12/02/16 04:24 PM
On Delay Relay with Auto Reset
by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 9
sparkyinak 8
Texas_Ranger 8
Trumpy 6
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#41238 - 08/19/04 11:19 PM Exceptional light fixture
e57 Offline

Loc: S.F.,CA USA
Rough'ed a bath a while back, got called for finish with customer provided lighting. The customer wanted excact placement of some vanity lighting. (All of which landed on stud work... So 3 3/0 pancakes.) So today, I go and get the lights out of the box, and said to myself, "Wow, that's a small canopy? How does that mount? That can't be legal. It mounts to a 1 gang box?"

Built for the exeption, at 5 1/2 lbs!

Quote:
314.27 Outlet Boxes.
(A) Boxes at Luminaire (Lighting Fixture) Outlets. Boxes used at luminaire (lighting fixture) or lampholder outlets shall be designed for the purpose. At every outlet used exclusively for lighting, the box shall be designed or installed so that a luminaire (lighting fixture) may be attached.
Exception: A wall-mounted luminaire (fixture) weighing not more than 3 kg (6 lb) shall be permitted to be supported on other boxes or plaster rings that are secured to other boxes, provided the luminaire (fixture) or its supporting yoke is secured to the box with no fewer than two No. 6 or larger screws.

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#41239 - 08/20/04 04:50 AM Re: Exceptional light fixture
earlydean Offline

Loc: Griswold, CT, USA
And AFTER you had cut in the pancakes!
I hate it when I do that.

#41240 - 08/20/04 03:55 PM Re: Exceptional light fixture
BigB Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ USA
I am seeing those coming from high end lighting stores. I had one where I roughed in a 4" octagon then came back for the finish. They had purchased a bar fixture that was too skinny to cover the box, needed a one gang mounted sideways. There is no way that fixture weighed less than six pounds, it was four feet long with three lamps with heavy glass shades. I mounted it low on the octagon so the part that wasn't covered was at the top where it couldn't be seen behind the center shade, then made up a metal cover for the gap. I told them it was a non standard fixture and it wouldn't be safe or legal to hang from a one gang device box. It was made in England.
It seems like customer purchased lighting is always throws a wrench in the works.
Brian

#41241 - 08/20/04 05:05 PM Re: Exceptional light fixture
SolarPowered Offline

Loc: Palo Alto, CA, USA
So Brian, did they ever find a source for 120V blubs with 240V bayonet bases to fit the English fixture?

#41242 - 08/20/04 06:14 PM Re: Exceptional light fixture
Hutch Offline

Loc: South Oxfordshire, UK
 Quote:
120V blubs with 240V bayonet bases

Do such beasties exist?

I've found 15W 120V ones on minature BCs offered as machine lamps. I have been trying to re-voltage some BC dispay cabinet lights for some time.

#41243 - 08/20/04 06:37 PM Re: Exceptional light fixture
twh Offline

Loc: Regina, Sask.
I guess my day wasn't so bad, after all.

"I was sad that I had no shoes until I met a man with no feet".

Quote:
It seems like customer purchased lighting is always throws a wrench in the works.

My employer gets the customers to buy their own light fixtures. The quality is so bad that it's better if we don't have to provide warrantee.

#41244 - 08/20/04 08:38 PM Re: Exceptional light fixture
BigB Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ USA
SolarPowered,
The fixture was set up with 50Watt 120V halogens. I didn't even think about the 240 volts in Europe, the fixture had to be set up for export I guess, or maybe it was done here. The customer said the light took 6 weeks to get.

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals