ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#41238 08/20/04 02:19 AM
E
e57 Offline OP
Rough'ed a bath a while back, got called for finish with customer provided lighting. The customer wanted excact placement of some vanity lighting. (All of which landed on stud work... So 3 3/0 pancakes.) So today, I go and get the lights out of the box, and said to myself, "Wow, that's a small canopy? How does that mount? That can't be legal. It mounts to a 1 gang box?"

[Linked Image from markhellerelectric.com]

Built for the exeption, at 5 1/2 lbs!

314.27 Outlet Boxes.
(A) Boxes at Luminaire (Lighting Fixture) Outlets. Boxes used at luminaire (lighting fixture) or lampholder outlets shall be designed for the purpose. At every outlet used exclusively for lighting, the box shall be designed or installed so that a luminaire (lighting fixture) may be attached.
Exception: A wall-mounted luminaire (fixture) weighing not more than 3 kg (6 lb) shall be permitted to be supported on other boxes or plaster rings that are secured to other boxes, provided the luminaire (fixture) or its supporting yoke is secured to the box with no fewer than two No. 6 or larger screws.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
E
And AFTER you had cut in the pancakes!
I hate it when I do that.

Earl
B
I am seeing those coming from high end lighting stores. I had one where I roughed in a 4" octagon then came back for the finish. They had purchased a bar fixture that was too skinny to cover the box, needed a one gang mounted sideways. There is no way that fixture weighed less than six pounds, it was four feet long with three lamps with heavy glass shades. I mounted it low on the octagon so the part that wasn't covered was at the top where it couldn't be seen behind the center shade, then made up a metal cover for the gap. I told them it was a non standard fixture and it wouldn't be safe or legal to hang from a one gang device box. It was made in England.
It seems like customer purchased lighting is always throws a wrench in the works.
Brian

S
So Brian, did they ever find a source for 120V blubs with 240V bayonet bases to fit the English fixture? [Linked Image]

H
120V blubs with 240V bayonet bases
Do such beasties exist?

I've found 15W 120V ones on minature BCs offered as machine lamps. I have been trying to re-voltage some BC dispay cabinet lights for some time.

T
twh Offline
I guess my day wasn't so bad, after all.

"I was sad that I had no shoes until I met a man with no feet".

It seems like customer purchased lighting is always throws a wrench in the works.
My employer gets the customers to buy their own light fixtures. The quality is so bad that it's better if we don't have to provide warrantee.

B
SolarPowered,
The fixture was set up with 50Watt 120V halogens. I didn't even think about the 240 volts in Europe, the fixture had to be set up for export I guess, or maybe it was done here. The customer said the light took 6 weeks to get.

Link Copied to Clipboard