ECN Electrical Forum
Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Books, Tools and Test Equipment for Electrical and Construction Trades

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#117487 - 06/18/04 11:31 AM Free Air THHN
iwire Offline

Loc: North Attleboro, MA USA
I just came back from a work trip to NJ. We went to nine supermarkets and in each one I saw this same installation.

This controlled water flow to a sprinkler on the roof that would be activated by temperature to aid the cooling of the refrigeration condensers.

I did not have my camera with me when I saw the worst one with 24" of free air THHN.

Besides the obvious lack of protection for the conductors apparently the person installing these did not know plain gray 4" sq. switch covers are available, all the ones I saw where these oil burner covers.

Anyone think the plumber did the wiring?

Tools for Electricians:
#117488 - 06/18/04 01:31 PM Re: Free Air THHN
sparked Offline

Loc: Raleigh
Maybe the plumber/electrician/whoever wanted the red coloring and writing "EMERGENCY SWITCH" on the cover. Thats still not a good enough excuse, because you can get plates made up to say whatever you like, or make them yourself with a plain steel cover and a can of Krylon. Also, does anyone else think the "Sharpie" writing on the cover is kind of hard to read?
edited to add question about sharpie

[This message has been edited by sparked (edited 06-18-2004).]

#117489 - 06/19/04 09:41 PM Re: Free Air THHN
ThinkGood Offline

Loc: Milwaukee, WI
He forgot the comma after the word "roof." It's just to tell you where the wires go.

#117490 - 07/07/04 04:11 AM Re: Free Air THHN
Big Ed Offline

Loc: Roxboro, NC, USA
Isn't that the new "Invisi-duit"? It lets you inspect the wires while it protects!

#117491 - 07/07/04 12:09 PM Re: Free Air THHN
HotLine1 Offline

Loc: Brick, NJ USA
Bob:
Could the store be SR??? They are notorious for stuff like this. Usually the 'in-house' jack of all trades maintenance guys.

Had one a while ago, they used good old 16 ga orange ext cords, canibalized the female caps, and stuck THHN thru the holes in the male plug to splice onto a conv. outlet that was all busted up, on the roof.

John

#117492 - 07/08/04 09:30 PM Re: Free Air THHN
SolarPowered Offline

Loc: Palo Alto, CA, USA
I take it that's not power-limited low-voltage control wiring?

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals