ECN Forum
Posted By: Trumpy Over-View Of ECN - 11/17/02 04:48 AM
Paul,
I think that with you being the Moderator of this column,how could we actually encourage future people to access this site?
I have done quite a bit of homework on this topic, especially with respect to Australia.
Is there no one in OZ that uses Electricity.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Over-View Of ECN - 11/17/02 09:35 AM
Trumpy,
If you know of anyone in Aussie-land who'd be interested in joining, by all means point them in this direction.

I think the international membership has grown considerably. Just over a year ago I think I was the only regular member from outside North America. Now we have Austria, Belgium, Sweden, NZ, and others.

To anyone else reading these forums, don't be afraid to come on in and add your 2 cents or ask questions. It's interesting to compare systems and techniques in different places.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Over-View Of ECN - 01/19/03 02:51 AM
Paul,
That must have been a bit of a nuisance being the only person on ECN, outside of the US, back then?.
There's only so much, us Foreign people know about the wiring methods in the US, but I must say, I have learnt a heap, since I first logged in!.
And also, about the wiring systems, world-wide, it's been the best, this is probably why you cannot keep me away from it!.
It's great, more of the same, please folks. [Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Over-View Of ECN - 01/19/03 12:13 PM
I've found a lot of people in the U.K. have virtually nil knowledge about U.S. wiring, beyond "Oh everything's 120V with those flat-pin plugs!"

I was at least familiar with basic circuit arrangements, the 1-ph 3-w residential services, etc., but in my time here I've certainly learned a lot more thanks to the great bunch we have at ECN.

Any luck with getting some Aussies to join yet?

[Linked Image from japantoday.com]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 01-19-2003).]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Over-View Of ECN - 01/20/03 02:56 AM
Thought you might be interested in a few stats:

A 'Visitor Session' is defined as: A session of activity (all hits) for one visitor of a web site. A unique visitor is determined by the IP address or cookie. By default, a visitor session is terminated when a visitor is inactive for more than 30 minutes.

This is a Top 15 Ranking of Visitor Sessions (from 'traceable' sources - roughly 14% of traffic is from 'unknown sources') for the past week:

1 United States 52,390
2 Canada 1,135
3 UK 389
4 Netherlands 150
5 Sweden 146
6 AU 139
7 Saudi Arabia 135
8 Mexico 118
9 Singapore 113
10 Austria 88
11 Italy 82
12 New Zealand (Aotearoa) 70
13 Qatar 57
14 France 52
15 Japan 49

AU would be Australia, right?

Bill
Posted By: C-H Re: Over-View Of ECN - 01/20/03 07:55 AM
Most interesting, Bill. Do you have the stats for the past month or so?

Sweden could be me, since I often switch computer (IP) and refresh the ECN, but there must be regular visitors from Holland, Australia, Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Singapore. (All of these countries are "small" which means that it can't be random visits)
Posted By: pauluk Re: Over-View Of ECN - 01/20/03 04:29 PM
Interesting Bill.

To those of you just browsing, don't be shy! Stop by and say hello, and maybe tell us a little about how things differ in your country from the things you see in ECN.
Posted By: djk Re: Over-View Of ECN - 01/20/03 04:38 PM
a LOT of European ISPs use .net and .com as domains.

Ireland's main offenders:

eircom.net (formerly indigo.ie/tinet.ie)
esat.net (formerly esat.net, iol.ie, esatclear.ie etc)
oceanfree.net
utv.net / utv.com
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Over-View Of ECN - 01/20/03 10:13 PM
C-H,

Here are the December 2002 stats: (+ 12% 'unknown')

1 United States 212,436
2 Canada 3,777
3 UK 1,049
4 AU 649
5 Mexico 488
6 Saudi Arabia 480
7 Netherlands 462
8 Singapore 436
9 New Zealand (Aotearoa) 330
10 Sweden 278
11 Italy 247
12 Austria 236
13 Qatar 233
14 Spain 191
15 France 187
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Over-View Of ECN - 01/21/03 08:56 AM
Curious to the stats for the other forum areas are.

Is it possible for me to find this, or for it to be posted by Senior Webster (Bill) sans excessive trouble (easilly)?

Scott35 s.e.t.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Over-View Of ECN - 01/21/03 11:35 AM
Scott,
I took these to be the stats for ECN as a whole, not just for the non-U.S. area.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Over-View Of ECN - 01/21/03 08:44 PM
Scott,

These are the stats for the site as a whole.

Bill
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Over-View Of ECN - 01/22/03 05:53 AM
Paul,
I will do one more search of all of the Electrical sites and safety groups in Oz,
but, the main problem is, everyone thinks you are trying to sell them something, so they don't reply, this is the biggest hurdle.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Belgian Re: Over-View Of ECN - 01/22/03 12:51 PM
I am wondering how come Belgium isn't on your stats, Bill, since I come regularly to visit.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Over-View Of ECN - 01/23/03 03:33 AM
Belgian,

The statistics by default only show the top 15 in terms of volume. Maybe you don't come by often enough, or need to bring some friends? [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Bill
Posted By: Hutch Re: Over-View Of ECN - 01/23/03 04:26 AM
Belgian,

Could it be that on a Hotmail account (looking at your profile) you are flying a digital USA flag? [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Over-View Of ECN - 01/24/03 02:59 AM
Belgian,

It looks like you made the daily report for yesterday! (14.x% Unknown)

1 United States 8,814
2 Canada 194
3 UK 53
4 AU 44
5 Mexico 32
6 Singapore 30
7 Sweden 27
8 Saudi Arabia 22
9 Netherlands 20
10 Italy 18
11 New Zealand (Aotearoa) 15
12 Belgium 13
13 Switzerland 12
14 Malaysia 11
15 Austria 10

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Over-View Of ECN - 01/24/03 06:44 AM
Well, Paul,
I tried, and I failed, trying to find a single person in Oz, that knows how to use a computer, at least to have a site, that would lead me to an e-mail address.
I could also be looking in all the wrong places, who knows?. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Over-View Of ECN - 01/24/03 11:33 AM
Seems that there are more Austrians around here than me! I usually pass by twice a day.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Over-View Of ECN - 01/25/03 11:54 AM
Hey there Belgian,

Haven't seen you around for a little while -- Welcome back! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Belgian Re: Over-View Of ECN - 01/25/03 06:08 PM
I'm always here, even if sometimes not 'actively'.

I would maybe be more actively if I could just upload a picture instead of having to upload it to a website and then refer to that link. Do you think that there is a way to do this? If I'm asking the wrong person, then this question applies to you, Bill.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Over-View Of ECN - 01/25/03 07:41 PM
I think the only way to insert a photo with this BB software is to put a URL reference to it.

Bill can post pics for you using ECN's webspace if you send them to him at: photos@electrical-contractor.net
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Over-View Of ECN - 01/26/03 04:27 AM
That's right Paul.

Trumpy,

Why don't you start a thread here with a title like: "Any Australian Sparkies here?" or similar. It may catch their eye.

Bill
Posted By: RODALCO Re: Over-View Of ECN - 09/09/06 10:30 PM
BUMP !

Bill, what are the statistics at the moment ?

Just curious how much has changed over the last 3 years.

Thanks
Raymond
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Over-View Of ECN - 09/10/06 01:27 AM
The great Australian scientist, Yahoo Serious, discovered that drawing wool across nylon produces static electricity.

Since then, all of Oz has been powered by massive generating plants, where millions of sheep tread miles of nylon carpet.

So yes, there is electricity in Oz [Linked Image]
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Over-View Of ECN - 09/10/06 11:15 AM
Reno:

- That comment should increase the OZ percentage! [Linked Image]

Alan
Posted By: pauluk Re: Over-View Of ECN - 09/10/06 12:39 PM
That comment should increase the OZ percentage!

Yep, but posts which just say "%!#*&#!@ Yanks and Pommies!" might get a bit repetitous after a while....... [Linked Image]
Posted By: Admin Re: Over-View Of ECN - 09/10/06 01:37 PM
Bill, what are the statistics at the moment ?
RODALCO,

Here's the stats for the month of Aug. 2006:

Most Active Countries

Countries / Visitor Sessions

1 United States / 282,753
2 Canada / 4,557
3 UK / 1,718
4 AU / 976
5 Mexico / 896
6 New Zealand / (Aotearoa) 793
7 Germany / 786
8 Singapore / 729
9 France / 663
10 Japan / 620
11 Thailand / 518
12 Saudi Arabia / 506
13 Malaysia / 484
14 Netherlands / 483
15 Brazil / 435

July 2006 was a little more active:

1 United States / 325,405
2 Canada / 4,225
3 UK / 1,523
4 AU / 1,004
5 New Zealand (Aotearoa) / 855
6 Mexico / 830
7 Germany / 722
8 Netherlands / 697
9 Japan / 683
10 Brazil / 614
11 Singapore / 606
12 Saudi Arabia / 553
13 France / 522
14 Malaysia / 386
15 Thailand / 344

Bill

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 09-10-2006).]
Posted By: RODALCO Re: Over-View Of ECN - 09/10/06 07:26 PM
Thanks Bill,

There is certainly a big increase noticeable.

Kind regards

Raymond
Posted By: Mash Re: Over-View Of ECN - 09/10/06 10:23 PM
i thought the sheep thing was a secret, I am one of the electrical shepards of Australia! I know i should post more often but i Work 8 days on and 8 days off and its not always easy to make the time. I do visit regualary though
Posted By: aussie240 Re: Over-View Of ECN - 09/11/06 11:32 PM
Perhaps other Aussies aren't interested in things electrical...that's what I find anyway.
Talk about the design of plugs or light sockets and their eyes glaze over and you're thought of being a nut case. I mean I could talk about the different styles of old electrical fittings for hours and never shut up but who wants to listen? And how many other Aussies are fascinated with foreign wiring practices? People must think I'm nuts getting friends to bring me back light bulbs and electrical fittings from overseas instead of the usual sorts of souveniers.
The reality is that most people who work with electrical stuff do so simply as means for earning a living...there's no personal interest in it.
One other thing, I'd be posting much more here if one could upload pics directly.
I'd love to show more of wiring practices here and the sort of fittings used, as well as some of my own stuff but the hassle of emailing all the pics to a moderator and then having to link them to the post just makes it not worth it.
I can directly post pics on other forums I belong to so why not this one?

[This message has been edited by aussie240 (edited 09-11-2006).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Over-View Of ECN - 09/20/06 04:15 PM
Aussie,
I'd love to show more of wiring practices here and the sort of fittings used, as well as some of my own stuff but the hassle of emailing all the pics to a moderator and then having to link them to the post just makes it not worth it.
How do you work that one out?.
Look,
What we as Moderators here would like is to be able to keep all of the pictures posted on ECN, on ECN's own Server, in that way we can prevent problems with foreign servers going down and us losing the source of the pictures.
Aussie,
It's absolutely no worry at all to me to have pics sent to me and upload them and then post them, I've done it hundreds of times. [Linked Image]
You are not inconveniencing anyone.
Cheers,
Mike. [Linked Image]
Posted By: kiwi Re: Over-View Of ECN - 09/21/06 09:38 AM
Aussie, posting pictures is not a problem on ECN. All the moderators are really good at getting your pictures on there. Try it. Its always good seeing photos from Downunder and we would appreciate seeing your pics.

Interesting to see NZ referred to as Aotearoa in the Stats. Where are the Stats from ?
Posted By: Admin Re: Over-View Of ECN - 09/21/06 11:54 AM
Interesting to see NZ referred to as Aotearoa in the Stats. Where are the Stats from ?
Kiwi,

The stats are from a program called Webtrends which runs on our servers and keeps track of misc. traffic statistics.
Posted By: aussie240 Re: Over-View Of ECN - 09/22/06 12:48 AM
What I was trying to expalain is it's an involved process for the users of this forum to post pics; not so much the moderators.
I mean one has to attach the pic to an email, wait for the reply from the moderator to know where the pics are on the ECN server, and finally link to their URL's in the posting.
Other forums, such as http://www.mtfca.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi?pg=topics
and http://www.cyclingforums.com
allow users to simply upload straight from a local file there and then, which preserves the spontaneity of the post instead of waiting a day or so to remember what you were going to say once you've got the pics.
Not to worry though, I can just upload to my own server and link the URL's.
Posted By: kiwi Re: Over-View Of ECN - 09/29/06 09:23 AM
Yeah Aussie240 the photo posting on other sites is a lot easier, but I think having the Moderators screen the photos on ECN ensures that we only see photos that are relevant, and thats good. When I visit ECN I know that its exclusively for electrical stuff and theres no adds or pop-ups to sift through.

The Moderators have been excellent at posting photos quickly.
© ECN Electrical Forums