ECN Forum
Posted By: Wizzie Electric Terminating stranded wire - 01/05/06 03:01 AM
What is required to terminate stranded wire on recepticals and switches. crimp-on terminals, solid wire pigtale, or is just wraping the wire around the screw acceptable?
Posted By: frank Re: Terminating stranded wire - 01/05/06 06:53 PM
Twist the wire counter clockwise before you terminate to the screw.I also grab the loop with a needle nose plyer while i tighten.Remember to never allow the wire to cross over itself(defect).I think you can use stakeons but never use them.A pigtail would be accepable to.
Posted By: Wizzie Electric Re: Terminating stranded wire - 01/05/06 11:41 PM
Thanks frank.
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Terminating stranded wire - 01/18/06 04:26 PM
A pigtail to solid is easiest, in my opinion.

At work, our floor was wired in pipe with stranded #12. The electricians who did that job terminated the stranded conductors with spade-lugs.

Makes it real easy to change a socket or a switch on a live circuit, if you're careful.
Posted By: copperjockey Re: Terminating stranded wire - 01/24/06 10:49 PM
I allways use STA-KON fork terminals. Unless your using spec-grade receptacles and devices with captive terminal screws. The boss doesn't like the extra cost but I'm sure he might appreciate it when he's the one who has to go out at midnight and trouble shoot a loose connection!
Otherwise pigtails would be ideal, since you would not have to break the circuit when removing a device live.
-CJ
Posted By: DC10 Re: Terminating stranded wire - 01/25/06 01:36 AM
If you are stuck with traditional side screw terminals, here is the trick:
1. strip the conductor back far enough to make a loop.
2. grab another short piece of insulation with your strippers and pull it just to the end of the end of the conductor.
3. twist the conductor, make a loop and land it to the screw.
© ECN Electrical Forums