ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 265 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#102303 01/04/06 11:01 PM
W
What is required to terminate stranded wire on recepticals and switches. crimp-on terminals, solid wire pigtale, or is just wraping the wire around the screw acceptable?

Thanks.
F
Twist the wire counter clockwise before you terminate to the screw.I also grab the loop with a needle nose plyer while i tighten.Remember to never allow the wire to cross over itself(defect).I think you can use stakeons but never use them.A pigtail would be accepable to.

W
Thanks frank.

Thanks.
S
A pigtail to solid is easiest, in my opinion.

At work, our floor was wired in pipe with stranded #12. The electricians who did that job terminated the stranded conductors with spade-lugs.

Makes it real easy to change a socket or a switch on a live circuit, if you're careful.

C
I allways use STA-KON fork terminals. Unless your using spec-grade receptacles and devices with captive terminal screws. The boss doesn't like the extra cost but I'm sure he might appreciate it when he's the one who has to go out at midnight and trouble shoot a loose connection!
Otherwise pigtails would be ideal, since you would not have to break the circuit when removing a device live.
-CJ

If you are stuck with traditional side screw terminals, here is the trick:
1. strip the conductor back far enough to make a loop.
2. grab another short piece of insulation with your strippers and pull it just to the end of the end of the conductor.
3. twist the conductor, make a loop and land it to the screw.

Link Copied to Clipboard