ECN Forum
Posted By: Jim M Mister Sparky acquired - 07/01/06 02:24 PM
For those in the service side.
http://www.ecpzone.com/article/article.jsp?siteSection=1&id=1811
Posted By: Tiger Re: Mister Sparky acquired - 07/01/06 10:43 PM
I thought Mr. Sparky was already a part of Clockwork.

Dave
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Mister Sparky acquired - 07/01/06 11:32 PM
Thanks for the reminder, guys...

ECN has had folks from these firms post, as well as in the chats. Oddly enough, the idea that the franchise was being set up for aquisition, etc., was denied in the strongest of terms- yet here we see it played out, just as the most cynical had feared!

I guess the lesson to be learned is that many of these great "business plans" are thinly disguised sharks, looking for minnows to devour.
Posted By: dougwells Re: Mister Sparky acquired - 07/02/06 12:20 AM
Like Dave said I thought Mr Sparky was a part of ESI now and ESI has been on Clockworks site for months
Posted By: A-Line Re: Mister Sparky acquired - 07/03/06 03:25 PM
Clockwork already has pumbing and A/C franchises. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing. One Hour Air Conditioning. Buying Mister Sparky lays the ground work for creating their electrical franchise. I'm not sure if it will be called Mister Sparky but I believe it will probably be called something else that implies showing up on time and delivering prompt service. "Just like clockwork."
Next will be roofing. They want to dominate the home services business.

Coming soon to your neighborhood.

Clockwork plans to double that number by year-end through both the franchisee process and by way of acquisition. The company also intends to rapidly grow its brand family with plans for the launch of new franchises for electrical contractors.

http://clockworkhomeservices.com/comp_profile.asp

https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum20/HTML/000343.html

[This message has been edited by A-Line (edited 07-03-2006).]

Posted By: Belectrician Re: Mister Sparky acquired - 07/03/06 03:49 PM
Good morning- I am a founding member of ESI and have been in the organization for almost two years now. Just like all change, there are rumors that circulate and some are true and others are just plain speculation.
I joined ESI with the hopes of turning my business into something I would be proud to leave my children and something I could turn a profit on. I have done just that and more. However, I must say that you must be willing to work for your success, it doesn't come easy if you are not a hard worker.
Now, for the Mister Sparky acquisition. Like you, I had my speculations on the most recent business decision of Clockworks, but now I see it as a way to only grow my business more. ESI works for the independent contractor. In no way is Clockworks selling or throwing the franchise on ESI members. It is only another option for them to grow their business and brighten their future.
Posted By: A-Line Re: Mister Sparky acquired - 07/03/06 05:25 PM
I wanted to make it clear that I'm not against what Clock Work Home Services is doing. They have a good business plan. I do believe if you're in the service business they will have an effect on your business. Good or bad I don't know. If your business is profitable and your looking to retire this could be good news if they want to buy it. If your business is struggling this may be a way to get the help you need. Otherwise they could be a tough competitor to compete with.

I think as the shortage of electricians increases, there will be fewer electrical contractors as well. Large companies will aquire the smaller shops and continually gain market share.

Posted By: kiwisholland Re: Mister Sparky acquired - 08/03/06 01:59 AM
I too admire what Clockwork is doing. If we were all more ESi and less Mr. '87 Malibu station wagon, we ALL would benefit.

I do find it ironic and downright hilarious that the ESI members that paid $20k plus to join were assured they would have secure territories. BUT......

A Mr. Sparky franchise, with all the same benefits and knowledge as the paying ESI member may set up shop in the exact same town as an independent ESI member.

OOOPS.

Wonder what really is ESI's main priority? Their paid independant contractor members, or Clockworks bottom line.

This info is FACT before anyone pipes in and spins this around.

AGAIN, I admire ESI contractors. I hope your systems make you millions and I hope your example elevates the whole industry!
Posted By: Belectrician Re: Mister Sparky acquired - 08/03/06 09:22 PM
Hello everyone- We pay to be in ESI for the knowledge and tools they give us to better ourselves and our business. We are guaranteed a territory, but a Mister Sparky franchise moving into my territory, IF that happens, will only benefit me. I would rather compete with a professional than a "cheap charlie" who charges $45.00 an hour, isn't drug tested and background checked and runs his company out of a rusted van with a "wash me" sign on the back.
Posted By: mahlere Re: Mister Sparky acquired - 08/03/06 09:28 PM
belecetrician,

couldn't agree with you more. The more the companies around me know about running a better business, the better it is for everyone. ]

good luck
Posted By: dougwells Re: Mister Sparky acquired - 08/04/06 12:22 AM
I am in total Agreement with the above statements from belectrician and mahlere

[This message has been edited by dougwells (edited 08-04-2006).]
Posted By: kiwisholland Re: Mister Sparky acquired - 08/04/06 03:15 AM
I agree as well, good for you.

The more educated contractors we have, the better we all will be.

I wish we were more like the plumbers, no secrets, sharing info at will to help us all.

As I said before, the ESI's of the world are helping us all!

To your profit!
Posted By: electure Re: Mister Sparky acquired - 08/05/06 09:11 PM
Brooke,
Your system may very well be an excellent one, but you've come on this forum as "Belectrician" and posted your profile as an electrican.
(from a previous post)
"I am not a salesperson but will do my best to explain our organization"

http://www.youresi.com/expo_02.aspx
Scroll on down to Brooke Deters.

I joined ESI with the hopes of turning my business into something I would be proud to leave my children and something I could turn a profit on. I have done just that and more
Yes, your business is ESI, not anything to do with electrical work. You used to run a restaurant, remember?

You credibility is not very good with me.
Honesty from the beginning would have gone a long way.
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: Mister Sparky acquired - 08/06/06 01:17 AM
Guys, let them spout what they want.

No-one takes them seriously.
Posted By: mahlere Re: Mister Sparky acquired - 08/06/06 01:41 AM
no offense to anyone. I don't know who belectrician/brook is.

but, if you want to be a residential/lt commercial service electrician, you might want to take them seriously.

ESI, Nexstar, et al are taking over the res/lt commercial market from coast to coast. take a look in your local yellow pages. you'll start to see the ads show up.

whatever the deal is with belectrician/brook, i don't know. But I do know this, a local Nexstar company and a local ESI company each have more than one technician doing over $50,000 month in sales (not every month, but more than once). They are doing $350-400k year per truck. If you want to do resi/lt commercial, learn from them. They are doing something correct.

so you can bash belectric, or you can get over it and learn what their companies are doing. play ostrich and put your head in the sand, or open your eyes and learn something.

LK, you are familiar with the Nexstar company right in your back yard. How many trucks have they added in the last 3-4 yrs?
Posted By: dougwells Re: Mister Sparky acquired - 08/06/06 02:20 AM
This was discussed by me with another moderator the other night. I mentioned that it looked like belectrician was an EC too me.
I knew this wasn't right.
I think that all electure was trying to say that belectrician isn't an EC and was making it looked like she was.
Posted By: LK Re: Mister Sparky acquired - 08/06/06 02:26 AM
"LK, you are familiar with the Nexstar company right in your back yard. How many trucks have they added in the last 3-4 yrs?"

Yes they have built in an area where everyone said you can't charge that much and stay in business, they are adding trucks and men, and their rates are twice or more then everyone else, but you have to remember, we also have independent EC's doing the same thing, and building just as fast.
Posted By: kiwisholland Re: Mister Sparky acquired - 08/06/06 02:53 AM
I think the ESI deal is full of great ideas. I think they are helping many independent residential service contractors get on the road to incredible profitability.

Good for them.

I also think ESI/Clockwork is more interested in their own bottom line than anything else. And you know what, we live in a capitalistic society.... good for them.

BUT, at some point "the smoke and mirrors" start to crack. This guy is a salesman, probably never turned a wire nut in his life and is trolling for fresh meat. The Electrician Board is dead because all new members over there are profiled.

Man up, and see what they can DO FOR YOU, not what you can do for them. Hold all the ESI salesmans' feet to the fire. Hopefully it will pay off for you.

ESI salesman guy - care to respond? Is it you Troy? The same Troy who couldn't remember my name from phone call to phone call? Hey I am bad with names too, bit if i am trolling for $20,000.00 sales, I sure ad heck would remember the prospects name.

[This message has been edited by kiwisholland (edited 08-05-2006).]
Posted By: mahlere Re: Mister Sparky acquired - 08/06/06 02:59 AM
LK,

how many independent contractors, growing just as fast, aren't using similar methods or systems? How many are still using T&M with low rates?

My point isn't to join the organization, it's to learn from it. Learn from it's successes and it's mistakes.

But don't put your head in the sand and ignore them. They will just pass you by and take your best customers from you.

Does that make sense?
Posted By: mahlere Re: Mister Sparky acquired - 08/06/06 03:52 AM
sorry les, wasn't accusing you. i was simply confirming with you. my fault for not being clear. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: Mister Sparky acquired - 08/06/06 11:25 AM
I think that all electure was trying to say that belectrician isn't an EC and was making it looked like she was.

She isn't the only one here. There is other people here who claim to be licensed electricians or contractors, and the truth is they don't own a business, don't have an electrical license, but want to tell the world how to run a business.

These are the people we don't take seriously.
Posted By: electure Re: Mister Sparky acquired - 08/06/06 12:21 PM
I am not bashing anyone. Everything I say is verifiable.
I'm just pointing out that Brooke, ESI's salesperson, came in here under false pretenses and has tried to keep this masquerade up even after more than 1/2 a year. By registering here as an electrician, she lied to us before ever posting a single keystroke.
Is this what you want from a business partner?
There has been no activity on this site by her other than to promote her own product, ESI.
How would you guys take to a DIYer that did the same things on this Forum?

I've read all the threads, (many before their hasty edits) and I was on the Wednesday Night Business Chat that was supposed to answer our questions. The answers were inflated (a membership of under 250 became "nearly 500") and vague. Some questions were ignored completely.
These things are all fact.

Regardless of the benefits of their program, (which I think are many for some contractors, BTW) I've been misled from the beginning, and personally wouldn't buy a bag of air from them if I was drowning.
Being manipulated and told half truths are not what I'm after.

edited only for punctuation

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 08-06-2006).]
Posted By: mahlere Re: Mister Sparky acquired - 08/06/06 01:08 PM
electure,

i see what you are saying. But what's that old saying "don't throw out the baby with the bath water"?

you don't have to join the group, you don't have to believe the sales people (hell we know sales people lie) you don't even have to like what they are saying.

but you do have the accept and respect the fact that there are 1000's of residential/lt commercial service contractors across the country who are successfully running their system (or a close variation of it)

that's all.

[edited to change except to accept] never was no good at this enlish stuff [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by mahlere (edited 08-06-2006).]
Posted By: iwire Re: Mister Sparky acquired - 08/06/06 01:25 PM
but you do have the except and respect the fact that there are 1000's of residential/lt commercial service contractors across the country who are successfully running their system (or a close variation of it)

If that system includes lying to become 'successful' than no....I don't have to respect it.

I would not ignore it but I would not respect it.
Posted By: mahlere Re: Mister Sparky acquired - 08/06/06 01:40 PM
i wire, point taken.

but i believe you understand what i mean.
Posted By: electure Re: Mister Sparky acquired - 08/06/06 03:57 PM
Even to a EC that has no ethical objection to any of it, or possibly even condone and applaud this kind of advertising business behavior, there is a bottom line

She got caught.

If you want to pay money to someone that works this way at least pay somebody that doesn't get caught. [Linked Image]
Posted By: mahlere Re: Mister Sparky acquired - 08/06/06 05:41 PM
i'm not really following you electure. I'm not saying to pay him/her anything. I'm not saying to join esi/nexstar. I'm saying don't stick your head in the sand and ignore the fact that these companies are already (or will soon be) in your area and taking your best customers (the ones that are willing to pay)

beat on him/her as much as you want. doesn't matter to me. but when was the last time someone from your company did something that they shouldn't have done (cut a corner, overcharged, etc) and got caught? It happens in every organization if you have more than one person (the owner) involved.

just don't close your eyes to the fact that the system is out there and it works. that's all i'm saying. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by mahlere (edited 08-06-2006).]
Posted By: ExpressQuote Re: Mister Sparky acquired - 08/06/06 05:51 PM
There is other people here who claim to be licensed electricians or contractors, and the truth is they don't own a business, don't have an electrical license, but want to tell the world how to run a business.

They don't own a business, doesn't mean they don't understand the industry or the needs of a business to operate successfully.

Just because they don't currently or may never have had a business doesn't mean that there isn't information that can be learned from them.

Glen

BTW - for those who don't know, I am not an electrical contractor, never claimed to be one. However, I am a certified electrician and have had my own electrical business and several others over the years.

The experience that I share with you is based on years of study (business and admin and sales training in college), hands on experience and over 15 years working as an estimator for various construction companies including residential and commercial electrical and renovations contracting.

And for a time as a HD sales associate working as a contractor contact.

I currently work with 2 electrical contractors as an electrician, and assist them with estimating projects for profitability.

Just in case anyone might think that I have misrepresented myself...

I also don't agree with misrepresentation.

And, for the record, my education in how to operate a business successfully, although not currently being put into practice by myself as an EC, has cost me all tolled approx. $35,000 and over 15 years of hard work.

I am not endorsing any company such as ESI or Nexstar or any of the others... however, if it costs $20,000 plus for an electrician to successfully make the transition to business owner, that to me would have been a worthwhile expense as it certainly could have saved considerable time and further expense on my part... IMHO

[This message has been edited by ExpressQuote (edited 08-06-2006).]
Posted By: mahlere Re: Mister Sparky acquired - 08/06/06 06:23 PM
Glenn,

i agree with you. while i am licensed in NJ, a contractors license in NJ doesn't mean that you know how to run a business. It's a technical license.

Some of the most successful contractors I know (plumbing, electric, hvac) do not have the mechanical ability of a wet noodle. But they have business accumen that is greater than I could ever hope to achieve. They are able to run a company correctly and profitably. Many are extremely involved in their local community and are truly upstanding citizens. Most of them charge higher than the going rate, but have a higher than average volume of repeat customers.

But it is easier to dismiss something that we don't like based on whatever prejudice we can find, than to open up to the thought that there is a different way that may work better.

personally, i think anyone with half a brain wouldn't want to get into this industry anyway. so i am extremely skeptical of anyone who does [Linked Image]
Posted By: bigventure Re: Mister Sparky acquired - 08/07/06 12:47 PM
Our company has a system similar to Mr. Sparky. I attended one of their seminars several years ago and found it to be insightful although pricy.
The only differance between what they do and what we do is that our employees are hourly and theirs are commisioned.
We have a invoice that lists all probable jobs with prices next to them.
It takes hard work to make it in this feild and even more to run a successful business with several employees. But the rewards are worth the headaches.
Anyone can do it if they have the ambition and financial backing.
I gained all of my knowledge by asking a friend who runs a very successful business plus a few hard knocks.
Their are two ESI companys in my area, one is strugeling the other is doing quite well which helps my company greatly.
Remember you can get free advice from anywhere. What you do with it can make all the differance in the world.
© ECN Electrical Forums