ECN Forum
Posted By: George Little Cable TV wire - 05/04/05 12:00 PM
How deep should cable TV wiring be buried? Where would I find the code reference?
Posted By: sawdust454 Re: Cable TV wire - 05/04/05 11:07 PM
George:
Article 820 covers coax installation but has nothing about min burial depths. I am tempted to say table 300.5 column 1 (2005 nec). This is a good question ,around here the burial depths average 2- 4" for the local cable co.
Ron
Posted By: hbiss Re: Cable TV wire - 05/04/05 11:39 PM
Didn't we just answer this question a little while back? The NEC doesn't cover this, I normally use UF depths while the cable guys will just make a slit with a lawn edger and stomp the cable into it. [Linked Image] Of course they couldn't care less when it fails.

Make sure you use flooded cable for direct burial or pulled through pipe underground, not regular cable.

-Hal
Posted By: George Little Re: Cable TV wire - 05/05/05 02:16 AM
Hal- It might have been on this forum before, if it was I missed it. And, since you have a handle on telecom stuff (per your bio) what is "flooded cable"?
Posted By: Electric Ian Re: Cable TV wire - 05/07/05 01:53 AM
George,
"Flooded" is the trade name for coax cable which is rated for direct burial. It has a grease of sorts under the jacket to prevent moisture from migrating.
Posted By: iwire Re: Cable TV wire - 05/07/05 05:49 PM
Hal

Make sure you use flooded cable for direct burial or pulled through pipe underground, not regular cable.

Hal I always use cat 5e for this 'cause it's better'

Should I use flooded 5e? [Linked Image]

Bob
Posted By: hbiss Re: Cable TV wire - 05/08/05 12:25 AM
Grrrrrrr! [Linked Image]

-Hal
Posted By: Electric Ian Re: Cable TV wire - 05/08/05 01:28 AM
Inside joke here I'm misssing. Clue me in please!
Posted By: iwire Re: Cable TV wire - 05/08/05 01:34 AM
Your right it is an inside joke.

Hal has a real problem with folks using Cat 5 for every low voltage application under the sun. [Linked Image]

I tend to agree with him, it is more professional to use the right cable for the specific job.

That said I will admit I have used it in a pinch for other low voltage applications if it meant getting the job done and was still code compliant.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Cable TV wire - 05/08/05 01:52 PM
LOL Bob,
Hell I don't get here that often and even I know what the teeth-gnashing is about!. [Linked Image]
Dig-Dig-Dig

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 05-08-2005).]
Posted By: harold endean Re: Cable TV wire - 05/10/05 01:41 AM
I have seen where the cable guys just lay the cable under the sod. They will not bury their wires. There was one of my customers who had their cable wire pulled up 3-6 times already in the last 10 years. I was just there this week as an AHJ and I still see their CATV wire laying directly on the ground where everybody is walking on it.
© ECN Electrical Forums