ECN Forum
Electrical designer's use the NEC and specifications to develop their plans for electrical installations, and also use CAD programs.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 02-13-2003).]
Does anyone have any suggestions as to which CAD program works the best?

Scott35??
I personally like AutoCAD, BUT, that is because I have modified/personalized it tremendously. As far as AutoCAD electrical package (available as an add on to Architectural Desktop) I found the package to expensive for no benefits and those I have checked with have given it mixed reviews at best.

I would recommend looking at your needs. Are you heavily into design or is this just showing a few devices in a residence? Then talk to others doing the similar work.

The only things I would personaly recommend in design software is that it work, be easy to learn, and be customizable (if you have to do things this sort of thing often), so with a little training you can make it work like you think it ought to. You may also consider do you need drawing compatibility with something else.
Thanks for the good advice.

I am really looking for some software that I can use to add slides to my seminars where I may want to show some plans, and a "laundry list" and images or drawings of the equipment.

I guess the better word is details.

I came from the school using a pencil and paper and developed the entire plan on a drafting table.

Sepia and that smell whew it was terrible!!
Joe:
There are a few "cheap" CAD programs floating around, and they have "some" electrical and electronics symbols in the "libraries"

"Key CAD" is one
"Design CAD" is another.
The above are <$100.00
There may be a demo version at the websites.

AutoCAD also has a lower priced version.

If you need/want further info, let me know. (E-mail direct or post here)
John
Joe,

Larry Smith does NEC seminars in the mid-west and has animated powerpoint slides that sounds exactly like what you are describing.

You could email him and ask him how he produces his slides. His addy is; training@electricode.com

FWIW if anyone is looking for code classes Larry Smith puts on the best ones I've experienced. He is always interesting and the time goes by very fast.

GJ

[This message has been edited by golf junkie (edited 02-13-2003).]
Designcad has a thirty day free trial.Purchase price is $160 for download or $180 for cd rom. http://www.upperspace.com/Default.asp?
I am really looking for some software that I can use to add slides to my seminars

Joe,
I would highly recommend the use of a SmartBoard for any kind of technical presentation. I've used one for over five years, and would be lost without it now.

It is an interactive whiteboard that connects to your desktop or laptop computer, and becomes, in effect, like a second monitor.
It can be wall mounted or on a portable stand, and is used with an LCD projector.
The screen is touch-sensitive, which permits you to operate any application that is on the computer by touching the screen with your finger or any pointer. That includes the internet (your web browser).

You can also mark over, or highlight, your presentation slides, draw diagrams, make notations, and either erase or save the mark-ups.

Use the bundled software, SmartNotebook to create your presentation, or use the software of your choice.

For more information http://www.smarttech.com/products/smartboard/index.asp

[Linked Image from electric-ed.com]

Ed
Thanks to all for the good advice!

I travel the USA, so the SmartBoard would be difficult for me to carry along.

If I was based in one place, that sure looks like the way to go.

I have enough experience using the PC, and in developing my Power Point shows that I can use and add clips and sound and images, etc.

Yes, Larry Smith is a class act and we met a few years ago. His material looks great and I am sure he does an excellent job.

With my collection of over 30,000 digital images I am sometimes overwhelmed with material, and now with 60 gigs on a new laptop I am trying to put them in their proper places.

I will be in Mason, OHIO next week -- anyone from that area?

Let me know and we can have a beer or two, right Redsy!!
Joe,

You might want to also consider using Flash animations. They can be used with lcd projectors, etc., Animated could show current flow, change of state, even fires and explosions, with sychronized sound. You can import diagrams, photos, etc. You can pause, and even step through in slo-mo, and frame by frame. Makes for a much better show than Powerpoint. Learning the animation program takes some time, but the end product might be worth it.
Talked to a few authors that like Visio for illustrations.

Has anyone tried Autodesk QuickCAD? It's strictly 2D, but for only $50?

["AutoSketch" seems to have died mercifully.]
Len_B

Where can I find the flash "electrical" animations you describe?

That sounds like something I can use too.

I did find out that with Movie Maker that comes with XP, that I can capture clips from some of the videos I have on CD and DVD.

BJ: You have any software that could be used to show electrical items and diagrams.

I know Scott35's technical place here has a great deal of sketches, and I may look there too.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 02-15-2003).]
Joe,

Any type (make) of CAD application will work great for what you plan to do - except the CAD program its self will only be used to create the reference materials themselves (drawings, schematics, pictorials), then exported to another application (like Powerpoint, Word, Photoshop, etc.).

Visio (and applications similar to it) might be able to function directly as the platform for a presentation (not requiring an image to be translated to raster, then exported), or thru VBA + Active X, can work in a multitask linked fashion, with a more commonly used presentation program (like Powerpoint).

Which ever method you choose for all this stuff should be both the most effective way possible (per your own needs), and be the most efficient for your time involved, doing all that is needed to go from A to Z (from drawing the first line on a schematic, to the final item compiled in the finished presentation).

AutoCAD is kind of a "Generic" CAD application, as far as the world of CAD stuff goes. There are "LT" versions of the AutoCAD programs, which cost a lot less than their full-blown counterparts. If you want to create only graphical resource material, then look into the LT versions. If you want to do power work, maybe consider the full versions.

There are several CAD applications which are widely used in the design and engineering fields. AutoCAD is one such name. Microstation, CADkey, IntelliCAD, PRO-E, and IRON CAD are others (Microstation is very popular with Architects, and can export files as .DWG - the standard AutoCAD drawing file format).

The version I use is Release 14. It works well for me, but I have heard good things about the 2000 release. This, plus the fact that more Architects using AutoCAD have the 2000 release, is making me take that plunge into purchasing the 2000 release. Just need the $2000 to buy it!

Items known as "Blocks", "Scripts" & "Shape Fonts", can be written by you or picked up anywhere on the net.
"Blocks" are what a symbol is prior to it being inserted into a drawing. You can write your own blocks or use someone elses blocks.

For technical drawings, I feel that a CAD type application is what you should use - as opposed to a graphical type program. The ease of drawing lines and plucking down blocks makes it the best choice overall.

I have some idea of the materials you will be presenting, which makes me think a CAD based application would be best suited for you.

Electric-Ed uses a CAD based application named "AutoSketch" (made by the Autodesk people - same people that make AutoCAD) for the drawings he posts here and at MHE. He draws them in Autosketch, then exports them to some graphic editing application (Paint Shop Pro, I believe).
As anyone has seen, He has compiled some rather clean looking images using the Autosketch program.
From what I hear about Autosketch, it's much cheaper than an AutoCAD version, plus it's easier to jump in and start drawing.

Since you have drafting experience, you understand the basic consepts, only there is a whole different way of drawing in a CAD enviroment as opposed to the paper world.

Both methods have equal accuracy - CAD is no more accurate than a hand drawn layout - and in the case of printed CAD work vs hand drawn stuff, the hand drawn plans may be more accurate! All depends on the accuracy of the person doing the drawing.

CAD applications have taken away the tedious, repetitive and logistics problems associated with hard copy work. Stuff like physically setting up a templated page (a default blank page with borders and note box taped to your drawing table), dealing with transparancies for page layers, keeping track of a multi page job worked on by 2 or more people, symbols libraries and drawing archives aren't such a big problem with CAD (if the job captain is sharp and the users are too!).

One of the most helpful changes will be no more backaches from working over a drafting table all day!!!
Trade the backaches with "Monitor Eye-Tis" (eye strain from excessive eye refocus).

If you like, contact me directly, so we can discuss this further.

P.S. If any of the schematics at the Tech area are useful to you, feel free to include them with your presentations!
One of these days I will be able to compile the many, many, many-many-many different "Packages" of references and lessons, designed towards electrical system installations and designs. Within these packages, any given scenario will be covered from start to finish. From how the permit is obtained, to walking through the job with the inspector for a final inspection - as many areas covered as possible!
Some packs will be specific to a certain tasks (like for instance, how to install a transformer or generator), others will be more indepth - like how to completely design and install a generator system (many detailed items), while others cover a complete project.

Want to produce these items for use as instructional stuff, and will have them posted here or through here (ECN) for use by ECN members as well.

Good luck

Scott35 s.e.t.
Thanks for all of the good advice, and Scott35 you too! Everyone goes out of their way to help, but you, you go the extra 5 miles!! Thanks again

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 02-17-2003).]
Joe,

Glad to be of help!
Let us all know what you decide on.

Scott35 S.E.T.
© ECN Electrical Forums