ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Electrical designer's use the NEC and specifications to develop their plans for electrical installations, and also use CAD programs.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 02-13-2003).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which CAD program works the best?

Scott35??

S
I personally like AutoCAD, BUT, that is because I have modified/personalized it tremendously. As far as AutoCAD electrical package (available as an add on to Architectural Desktop) I found the package to expensive for no benefits and those I have checked with have given it mixed reviews at best.

I would recommend looking at your needs. Are you heavily into design or is this just showing a few devices in a residence? Then talk to others doing the similar work.

The only things I would personaly recommend in design software is that it work, be easy to learn, and be customizable (if you have to do things this sort of thing often), so with a little training you can make it work like you think it ought to. You may also consider do you need drawing compatibility with something else.

Thanks for the good advice.

I am really looking for some software that I can use to add slides to my seminars where I may want to show some plans, and a "laundry list" and images or drawings of the equipment.

I guess the better word is details.

I came from the school using a pencil and paper and developed the entire plan on a drafting table.

Sepia and that smell whew it was terrible!!

Joe:
There are a few "cheap" CAD programs floating around, and they have "some" electrical and electronics symbols in the "libraries"

"Key CAD" is one
"Design CAD" is another.
The above are <$100.00
There may be a demo version at the websites.

AutoCAD also has a lower priced version.

If you need/want further info, let me know. (E-mail direct or post here)
John

John
G
Joe,

Larry Smith does NEC seminars in the mid-west and has animated powerpoint slides that sounds exactly like what you are describing.

You could email him and ask him how he produces his slides. His addy is; training@electricode.com

FWIW if anyone is looking for code classes Larry Smith puts on the best ones I've experienced. He is always interesting and the time goes by very fast.

GJ

[This message has been edited by golf junkie (edited 02-13-2003).]

T
Designcad has a thirty day free trial.Purchase price is $160 for download or $180 for cd rom. http://www.upperspace.com/Default.asp?

Donnie
E
I am really looking for some software that I can use to add slides to my seminars

Joe,
I would highly recommend the use of a SmartBoard for any kind of technical presentation. I've used one for over five years, and would be lost without it now.

It is an interactive whiteboard that connects to your desktop or laptop computer, and becomes, in effect, like a second monitor.
It can be wall mounted or on a portable stand, and is used with an LCD projector.
The screen is touch-sensitive, which permits you to operate any application that is on the computer by touching the screen with your finger or any pointer. That includes the internet (your web browser).

You can also mark over, or highlight, your presentation slides, draw diagrams, make notations, and either erase or save the mark-ups.

Use the bundled software, SmartNotebook to create your presentation, or use the software of your choice.

For more information http://www.smarttech.com/products/smartboard/index.asp

[Linked Image from electric-ed.com]

Ed

Thanks to all for the good advice!

I travel the USA, so the SmartBoard would be difficult for me to carry along.

If I was based in one place, that sure looks like the way to go.

I have enough experience using the PC, and in developing my Power Point shows that I can use and add clips and sound and images, etc.

Yes, Larry Smith is a class act and we met a few years ago. His material looks great and I am sure he does an excellent job.

With my collection of over 30,000 digital images I am sometimes overwhelmed with material, and now with 60 gigs on a new laptop I am trying to put them in their proper places.

I will be in Mason, OHIO next week -- anyone from that area?

Let me know and we can have a beer or two, right Redsy!!

L
Joe,

You might want to also consider using Flash animations. They can be used with lcd projectors, etc., Animated could show current flow, change of state, even fires and explosions, with sychronized sound. You can import diagrams, photos, etc. You can pause, and even step through in slo-mo, and frame by frame. Makes for a much better show than Powerpoint. Learning the animation program takes some time, but the end product might be worth it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard