ECN Forum
Posted By: pauluk Old hand tools - 02/23/07 11:40 AM
Thanks to TrimixLeccy (U.K.) for the following:

Let's see if anyone can identify what these tools are for. Probably be an answer within minutes, but I thought they were quite rare and have never seen any others. The 2 tools are both for the same job and the second pic is a close-up of one end of the tool. I am not certain but I am lead to believe that my Grandfather had the tool on the right made some 60 - 70 years ago, family myths and all that. It would be nice to think that he had though [Linked Image] ...and yes, they are still used today on rare occasions. I actually used one of them only last week which prompted me to take a picture.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: xGROMx Re: Old hand tools - 02/23/07 12:10 PM
The only thing i can think of is fuse pullers, the left one for glass screw in fuses and the right for cylinder fuses. But thats just a guess.

They are electrical tools right?
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Old hand tools - 02/23/07 03:23 PM
Definitely designed to hold something round, but what?

Looks like the one on the left is designed to grab something by tightening the wing nut on the end.
Posted By: TrimixLeccy Re: Old hand tools - 02/23/07 05:38 PM
Yep they are Electricians Tools. Being an Electrician runs in the family.

As for being 'fuse pullers'; interesting thought; but about as far away from the correct answer as you could get. Nearly all the fuses in U.K. are enclosed in some form of insulated carrier so a puller is not needed. There was one type of fuse decades ago known as 'A death-wish fuse', where the fuse wire ran along the outside of the carrier. Put the fuse across an uncleared fault and get a striped hand for free!! 0(
Even though one of them is wood and metal and the other is all metal they both do exactly the same job. Used the wooden one again today.
Posted By: Kenbo Re: Old hand tools - 02/23/07 06:11 PM
Clearly to hold something in place.

The wooden one you squeeze the wood and metal so the jaws open...realease and the spring pulls jaws shut...I could use them to put nuts onto threads in difficult places. Much like a gripping screwdriver for nuts and bolts?

Kenny
Posted By: classicsat Re: Old hand tools - 02/23/07 06:33 PM
Broken bulb pullers, to pull broken bulbs?
Posted By: John Crighton Re: Old hand tools - 02/23/07 06:36 PM
Since the wooden/metal tool as shown seems to be completely closed (or nearly so), I don't think it's for gripping anything round. It's more like a pair of pliers for squeezing two things together, round or otherwise. And the wood/metal tool does the squeezing while you push against them.

Sort of like an installation tool for snap-in cord grips.

Ah! It's for grabbing duplex receptacles while twisting them around so they're U-ground-UP! No, wait, wrong side of the Atlantic...
Posted By: geoff in UK Re: Old hand tools - 02/23/07 07:23 PM
Grabbing shade rings in awkward shaped light fittings?
Posted By: coolshoes Re: Old hand tools - 02/24/07 03:12 AM
looks like a crimping tool to me
Posted By: LarryC Re: Old hand tools - 02/24/07 02:31 PM
More Pyro tools?
Posted By: TrimixLeccy Re: Old hand tools - 02/24/07 05:18 PM
Nope, not Pyro tools, although I have just found some more that I had forgotten about!!
Also just taken some pics for Pauluk to upload to the discussion forum. Pics of what used to be done in 'the good old days' and one a lot more recently
Posted By: Sixer Re: Old hand tools - 02/24/07 07:23 PM
Some sort of flaring tool for conduit?????
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Old hand tools - 02/24/07 08:39 PM
Trimixleccy,
Are these tools something that could possibly be used here in the states? [Linked Image]
Posted By: TrimixLeccy Re: Old hand tools - 02/24/07 09:06 PM
To be perfectly honest about their use in the U.S. I have no idea! I will have to be a bit cagey here so that I do not give the game away..... I assume that you have a similar situation there, as we do here, which would warrant their use. [Linked Image]

I will come clean tomorrow about their use.
Posted By: geoff in UK Re: Old hand tools - 02/25/07 09:58 AM
Am I allowed a second guess?
For turning the knurled rings on old light switch face plates?
Posted By: dougwells Re: Old hand tools - 02/25/07 07:10 PM
Are they Locknut tools ??
Posted By: pauluk Re: Old hand tools - 02/26/07 12:57 AM
It's for grabbing duplex receptacles while twisting them around so they're U-ground-UP! No, wait, wrong side of the Atlantic...
Don't you mean twisting them around so they're U-ground DOWN?! [Linked Image]
Posted By: TrimixLeccy Re: Old hand tools - 02/26/07 01:43 PM
Geoff was right first time, it is a shade ring holder. For those of us with large hands/fingers it is not possible to reach within narrow shades to remove the lock ring so that the shades can be removed. The lamp is removed, and either of the 2 tools locked onto the ring, this is then unscrewed and removed. Simple really, but I have never seen any others. Obviously now that Geoff has had a second guess, his first guess is now not admissible, so there are no winners hey ho! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by TrimixLeccy (edited 02-26-2007).]
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: Old hand tools - 03/22/07 01:58 AM
... My first guess was going to be that they were an Obstetrician's tools...so much for that idea...
Posted By: DougW Re: Old hand tools - 03/22/07 03:56 AM
Originally Posted By Attic Rat:
My first guess was going to be that they were an Obstetrician's tools...so much for that idea...
Only for a baby with a teeny tinyhead. laugh
Posted By: pauluk Re: Old hand tools - 03/23/07 01:10 PM
Here's the sort of situation in which these tools might be useful:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Last Leg Re: Old hand tools - 03/27/07 01:03 PM
Is it for installing quartz lamps?
© ECN Electrical Forums