ECN Forum
Posted By: Electric Eagle PDA's, Palm Pilot, Handspring - 12/05/02 10:42 PM
Im thinking about buying myself a PDA for Christmas, but have a few questions.

First, which is better? Palm or Handspring?

Second, What can I do with it? Can it really save me time? Right now I can drive, talk on the phone, and take notes on paper. Can I do this on a PDA? Or will I be taking notes on paper and transferring, which would be non productive.

Basically, if you've got one, tell me what you use it for and is it worth it.
Thanks in Advance!
Posted By: walrus Re: PDA's, Palm Pilot, Handspring - 12/05/02 11:29 PM
I've got a friend who has a Palm Pilot and he has gotten shareware from some web site that does conduit fills, horsepower tables and other Electrical data all at the point of a pen. Not sure how usefull it is. [Linked Image] Seems like something else to lose
Posted By: Dallas Re: PDA's, Palm Pilot, Handspring - 12/06/02 05:02 AM
I've got an older Sony Clie I still use for appointments and other database uses, and have some of the shareware for conduit fill, motor conversions, etc on it. I can scrawl notes across the screen, and it recognizes MOST of my writing. Maybe a newer more powerful one might be a little more productive, but so far its a gadget.

So, you drive, talk on the cell, AND take notes at the same time, in NYC? WOW! I can drive and talk on the cell, but I aint talented enough to write as well and keep it between the ditches. I pull over and stop, and I live and work where the traffic isn't near what you have. How do you do that? [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: wirewiz Re: PDA's, Palm Pilot, Handspring - 12/06/02 05:45 AM
I bought one of the first ones that came out a few years ago.

I found that if you are not disciplined enought to make youself use it for something more than an address book it is a waste!
I still don't use it to it's full potential but it still helps me keep things organized.

I know too many people whe have spent lots of money on these and they are collecting dust. I am looking to upgrade mine soon and have noticed some other models that look more appealing to me that the palm or handspring.

Does any one have the Toshiba, Compaq or Jornada?
Any feed back on those?
Wirewiz
Posted By: spyder Re: PDA's, Palm Pilot, Handspring - 12/06/02 12:36 PM
I have the HP Jornada 540. If I can find a practical way to enter time and materials on it, I would use it more. Otherwise its a glorified address and appointment book.
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: PDA's, Palm Pilot, Handspring - 12/06/02 12:43 PM
The i705 Palm is the most relible 24/7, and I use it every day. It helps me get a head start on my email messages, some of which are very important, and I can access my mail from my main site, even while on the train.

The other functions are also very useful, and software for this PDA and others are available, and there are lots of electrical programs.

Look here at another message on this site:

https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001729.html

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 12-06-2002).]
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: PDA's, Palm Pilot, Handspring - 12/06/02 02:10 PM
Thanks for the reply's so far. It looks like I need to go to a store and do a little research. I like the idea, but I can see it never being used. That's why I want to make sure it's worth it. I did find out that the latest Palm has a voice recorder. That could really be handy while driving.
Dallas, I'm in the Atlanta, GA area, not NYC. But the traffic here can be terrible too.
Posted By: Dallas Re: PDA's, Palm Pilot, Handspring - 12/07/02 05:14 AM
Sorry EE, my bad! Wonder where I got NYC at??
Drove a semi loaded with toys from here down to and around Atlanta for a few trips when things were slow here some years ago. Traffic was bad then, I thought. Can't imagine it now.

Dallas

Post back when you buy one, and tell us what you think. I ended up carrying a laptop with me in the truck.
Posted By: The Watt Doctor Re: PDA's, Palm Pilot, Handspring - 12/07/02 05:36 AM
I have an M505, that was "cutting edge" technology when I bought it. I don't use it as much as I could, but I do use it a lot (everyday). Part of the reason I use it is because of this application .

Down!...Set!...M505!...M505!...Hut!...Hut!,
Doc
Posted By: BuggabooBren Re: PDA's, Palm Pilot, Handspring - 12/07/02 06:04 AM
I have a Palm and have used a less-expensive version, a Royal. I've also got a half dozen of the notebook organizers. Add to that a couple of blank 'journal' type books that I've drawn plans in, measurements, etc. The main thing that I find is that you have to have a SINGLE place to put your information or you'll end up chasing down where you put the note or task information. I would think a Palm (or a cheaper version to start with like the Royal) plus a binder with envelope folders for receipts and such might be a reasonable solution. If you use the electronic medium and store it in .txt format, you should be able to download it and not repeat your key or pen strokes.
Posted By: The Watt Doctor Re: PDA's, Palm Pilot, Handspring - 12/07/02 06:14 AM
Bren reminds me...
The main thing that I find is that you have to have a SINGLE place to put your information or you'll end up chasing down where you put the note or task information.
A PDA is like a note pad that never gets filled. There is always room for more information.

Doc
Posted By: B4UClose Re: PDA's, Palm Pilot, Handspring - 12/16/02 01:44 PM
Well, I've been lurking and learning for quite awhile and want to contribute on a topic I do know a little bit about.

First, like others have said. If you can't force yourself to rely on whatever PDA you get for ALL your note taking, calendar, phone book, address book, etc needs, it's just another thing to loose. If you already use a one source paper system, (like a Franklin Planner or Day Timer), this should be easy. If you can't force yourself to do this one source system, PDA's and planners are a waste of good money.

My preference: An HP Jornada 728 handheld.

It won't carry in your shirt pocket, but comes with a belt holster. I usually just toss it on the front seat, like I did with my paper planner.

Works like a PDA but is a clamshell mini laptop computer complete with the software like Microsoft Office. Including the reminder alarm clock type thing for appointments.

Has a keypad. Comes with a built in modem. Let's you handwrite notes on the screen.

http://www.hp-expo.com/uk/eng/products/jornada/f4356a.html

The three things I like the most about mine are:

the ability to have PDF Instruction manuals stored on it. As a Home Inspector, I've got to have the reference material readily availabale on all kinds of topics, because I am regularly challenged. It's kind of hard to argue, when shown the manufacturers installation instructions. (Adobe doesn't offer a reader for PDA, but you can buy one for about $80.00.)

The way it functions as a mini- laptop.
It has most of the basic computer software you need. No learning curve for new software. Specialized software, such as electrical calculations are available.

I can (and have frequently) surfed the net and read this Bulletin Board from it.

Comes with a 64 megabyte Compact Flash Card that backs everything up. For a few bucks more, you can get an overnight replacement warranty. You drop it, it breaks, you call California, HP overnights another one. You pull the compact flash card from the broken one, insert in the new one, restore your backup file and you're (almost) right back to where you where by 10:00 the next morning. ALMOST! Yeah almost. It depends on how regular you are about backing up your files. I make sure to back up every couple of days.

Thanks to all who share your knowledge here. It's a great resource and an excellent learning tool for me.

[This message has been edited by B4UClose (edited 12-16-2002).]
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: PDA's, Palm Pilot, Handspring - 12/17/02 02:37 AM
Has anybody ever used a Blackberry PDA? They just came out with a model that doubles as a Nextel phone. I don't know about where you guys live, but around here most contractors use Nextels almost exclusively. This way I wouldn't have to have another thing to keep up with, just a new phone.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: PDA's, Palm Pilot, Handspring - 12/17/02 04:04 AM
B4,

Welcome to ECN. I hope that you will give us your feedback on other issues as well.

Bill
© ECN Electrical Forums