ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Im thinking about buying myself a PDA for Christmas, but have a few questions.

First, which is better? Palm or Handspring?

Second, What can I do with it? Can it really save me time? Right now I can drive, talk on the phone, and take notes on paper. Can I do this on a PDA? Or will I be taking notes on paper and transferring, which would be non productive.

Basically, if you've got one, tell me what you use it for and is it worth it.
Thanks in Advance!

W
I've got a friend who has a Palm Pilot and he has gotten shareware from some web site that does conduit fills, horsepower tables and other Electrical data all at the point of a pen. Not sure how usefull it is. [Linked Image] Seems like something else to lose

D
I've got an older Sony Clie I still use for appointments and other database uses, and have some of the shareware for conduit fill, motor conversions, etc on it. I can scrawl notes across the screen, and it recognizes MOST of my writing. Maybe a newer more powerful one might be a little more productive, but so far its a gadget.

So, you drive, talk on the cell, AND take notes at the same time, in NYC? WOW! I can drive and talk on the cell, but I aint talented enough to write as well and keep it between the ditches. I pull over and stop, and I live and work where the traffic isn't near what you have. How do you do that? [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

W
I bought one of the first ones that came out a few years ago.

I found that if you are not disciplined enought to make youself use it for something more than an address book it is a waste!
I still don't use it to it's full potential but it still helps me keep things organized.

I know too many people whe have spent lots of money on these and they are collecting dust. I am looking to upgrade mine soon and have noticed some other models that look more appealing to me that the palm or handspring.

Does any one have the Toshiba, Compaq or Jornada?
Any feed back on those?
Wirewiz

S
I have the HP Jornada 540. If I can find a practical way to enter time and materials on it, I would use it more. Otherwise its a glorified address and appointment book.

The i705 Palm is the most relible 24/7, and I use it every day. It helps me get a head start on my email messages, some of which are very important, and I can access my mail from my main site, even while on the train.

The other functions are also very useful, and software for this PDA and others are available, and there are lots of electrical programs.

Look here at another message on this site:

https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001729.html

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 12-06-2002).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
E
Thanks for the reply's so far. It looks like I need to go to a store and do a little research. I like the idea, but I can see it never being used. That's why I want to make sure it's worth it. I did find out that the latest Palm has a voice recorder. That could really be handy while driving.
Dallas, I'm in the Atlanta, GA area, not NYC. But the traffic here can be terrible too.

D
Sorry EE, my bad! Wonder where I got NYC at??
Drove a semi loaded with toys from here down to and around Atlanta for a few trips when things were slow here some years ago. Traffic was bad then, I thought. Can't imagine it now.

Dallas

Post back when you buy one, and tell us what you think. I ended up carrying a laptop with me in the truck.

I have an M505, that was "cutting edge" technology when I bought it. I don't use it as much as I could, but I do use it a lot (everyday). Part of the reason I use it is because of this application .

Down!...Set!...M505!...M505!...Hut!...Hut!,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
B
I have a Palm and have used a less-expensive version, a Royal. I've also got a half dozen of the notebook organizers. Add to that a couple of blank 'journal' type books that I've drawn plans in, measurements, etc. The main thing that I find is that you have to have a SINGLE place to put your information or you'll end up chasing down where you put the note or task information. I would think a Palm (or a cheaper version to start with like the Royal) plus a binder with envelope folders for receipts and such might be a reasonable solution. If you use the electronic medium and store it in .txt format, you should be able to download it and not repeat your key or pen strokes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard