ECN Forum
Posted By: Bill Addiss Welcome to New Members! - 11/20/02 06:03 AM
Every so often I think it's great to do a "Meet and Greet" type of Thread. It's an opportunity We hope some will take to come forward and say Hello and maybe tell us something about themselves and where they're from. [Linked Image]

This is a good opportunity to give us your comments and suggestions too. If any Members would like to add a greeting or comment here, please do.

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Welcome to New Members! - 11/20/02 04:32 PM
Hello to all:
I've been here a while, don't know exactly how long.

I mention this site to people in the trade and hope they stop by and check it out.

I'm in New Jersey, a licensed EC, and a part time electrical inspector.

John
Posted By: RR Re: Welcome to New Members! - 11/20/02 05:11 PM
Hello! I'm a "newbie" as well to this board. I'm an Electrical Engineer working for an Electrical Contractor in Yorba Linda, CA. Studying for my EIT next April.
Posted By: Wirenuttt Re: Welcome to New Members! - 11/20/02 07:40 PM
Hello all;
I'm new to the site. An electrician. Live in Massachusetts. Giving carefull thought right now as to taking a position as an outside salesman for a elec. supply. Moneys not nearly as good as the field, but the benifits are nice. See what happens after TG.. Maybe if I take the job I can sell u something. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Wirenuttt (edited 11-20-2002).]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Welcome to New Members! - 11/21/02 03:12 AM
Thanks for the Comments.

Anyone else care to say something here?

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Welcome to New Members! - 11/22/02 05:56 AM
Hello all,

Like to say hello to all Members - New and Existing.
Been around since I think 1999??? Bill can verify this.

Please feel free to post questions about anything - or make replies to threads.

Got something to contribute??? Let us know!

I am the clown which Moderates the Theory section and the Technical Reference section - along with being the one who draws up most of those weird Schematics!
Newcomers, along with long-time Members, are encouraged to check out these sections and contribute their input / comments / suggestions.

For other than U.S. stuff, be sure to check out Paul's "Non-US Electrical Systems and Trades" for European related discussions, along with
Tony's "Canadian Electrical Code Topics" for Canadian related discussions.

For safety items, check out the "Safety Discussion, News and Recalls" ares.

For some variety of different ways to do things - along with some humorous images, check out Joe Tedesco's "Violation Photo Forum" area, and the "Photos Submitted For Discussion" area.

Note to Newcomers:
This site has an extremely large amount of Information available - covering nearly any part of the trade [and even outside the trade!].
You will find a vast number of Members here which are very sharp and willing to assist.

Along those lines, the Moderators have posted alot of helpful stuff for Members to use.

And lastly, be sure to thank the site's Webster, whom without this wouldn't exist!
instead we would all be fighting in some other forum! [Linked Image]

Scott s.e.t.

P.S. "RR", I see that you are in Yorba Linda. I'm in Anaheim, just West of Disneyland.
How close are you to Imperial Highway and Orangethorpe / Esperanza?

s.e.t.
Posted By: sparky Re: Welcome to New Members! - 11/22/02 11:02 AM
welcome all, this is a diverse site...which sets it apart from many......

btw, 'bout time Wirenuttt
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Welcome to New Members! - 11/22/02 03:00 PM
Welcome! Send a copy of your picture so it can be added to the thread https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000142.html on this site with many members.
Posted By: RandyO Re: Welcome to New Members! - 11/22/02 08:57 PM
Well, hello.

I found this site from Mike holts.
I enjoy the learning banter that the heavy hitters get to inthe NEC fourm.

I mostly do remodeling and small jobs.
Ive been in the trades for about 20 yrs.

For all those interested in electrical wireing, I highly sugest you go out and buy a NEC code book and follow along with the BIG guys, I've learned soooo much ...

These fourms are great.... THANKS
Posted By: wayne Re: Welcome to New Members! - 11/22/02 10:12 PM
HI all, new and not so new alike members. Yes Bill, and Scott and Sparky I thank all you guys for making me welcome. although i havnt put up many topics, I do read alot of the ones that are posted, and reply when I can.
this is one forum that is user frindly to all.their are a lot of good people here and I myself plan to keep in touch.
This forum has been a big help to me, understanding that there are a lot of ways to do things, not allway right or wrong, but the proper way. ok Bill I said my piece for now, do I get a B.
Posted By: Scotts Re: Welcome to New Members! - 11/22/02 11:33 PM
I am fairly new to this forum. It is a great place to get information, and a few laughs. What I would say to the new people is to forget your spare time. It is easy to get hooked on this board and read it all day long. [Linked Image]
Scott
Posted By: Roger Re: Welcome to New Members! - 11/23/02 12:07 AM
Welcome all. As already mentioned, this a very friendly bunch here. There are centuries of combined knowledge that are waiting to be set free, and the people here are happy to do it.

As Steve said earlier, it is a diverse group, and of course, some are purtier than others, but the others make up for it with personality. [Linked Image]

Roger
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Welcome to New Members! - 11/23/02 12:15 AM
Wayne,

B+ ! [Linked Image]

And, thanks to everyone for making this place what it is!

Are we having Fun yet?
[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Welcome to New Members! - 11/23/02 04:11 AM
Something about the whole being greater than the sum of the parts...

Welcome all!

The only flames we like around here is this one:

[Linked Image]

Hot topic!

Trainwire, where's your torch?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: wayne Re: Welcome to New Members! - 11/23/02 01:52 PM
THANKS BILL,
IT IS A GOOD FEELING TO BE A PART OF THIS FORUM WITH ALL OF THESE GREAT MINDS TO EXPLORE ALL TYPES OF POSSIABILITES.
HOPE EVERYONE IS ENJOYING BEING PART OF THIS GROUP AS MUCH AS I AM.
Posted By: Trainwire Re: Welcome to New Members! - 11/23/02 02:05 PM
Sparky66

In the shop, give me a minute and I'll go get it. [Linked Image] Do you want more than one this time?

TW
Posted By: classicsat Re: Welcome to New Members! - 11/23/02 05:08 PM
I joined today, but have been lurking since
late August, early September. I started reading the forum looking for Joe Tedesco's
"horror" pics, but also found the Non-US
forum interesting as well.

FWIW, I am not a professional Electrician,
but do know a great deal of electrical knowlege (significantly more than the average Joe, but probably nothing near a
fully schooled and experienced sparky)

Iam also in MW Ontario Canada, and am into
electronics a bit too.
Posted By: harold endean Re: Welcome to New Members! - 11/23/02 06:41 PM
Just want to welcome all the new members here too. You are only new once. Stay for awhile, add your 2 cents in here. I have been around for many years here and I am always learning new things. These guys really know there stuff.

Harold
Posted By: pauluk Re: Welcome to New Members! - 11/23/02 07:45 PM
I'd put in a plug for anyone interested in systems outside of North America to visit the non-U.S. section, but Scott has beaten me to it..... [Linked Image]

Welcome to all!
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Welcome to New Members! - 11/28/02 05:16 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to all of our New Members too!

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: j a harrison Re: Welcome to New Members! - 11/28/02 07:25 PM
[Linked Image] Have a good thanksgiving, and keep up the good work.

I am an electrician in England working for a large building company as senior engineer responsible for all the work that goes on.

been in the trade about 20 years and cant think of a better trade to be in (a bit scary sometimes, with the usual idiots playing with things they shouldnt).

Be well and play safe.

John Harrison
Posted By: Ron F Re: Welcome to New Members! - 12/17/02 12:14 PM
Hi everyone, newly registered to the site, but have been reading the forums for a few months now. great information and funny stories. I'm an electrician working in the northern New Jersey area
Posted By: Darter Re: Welcome to New Members! - 12/17/02 04:28 PM
Hi all,

I've been lurking for about a month now, partly because it goes with the territory of investigating a new-to-me board. But I'm also not a sparky, so I'm not going to be able to contribute nearly as much as I learn from this site.

I'm a web applications developer that enjoys diy work on my house and end up doing all the resarch I can before starting new projects. I'm really amazed at the photos that get posted here...I test myself with Violation Forum threads to see what I know, and usually do pretty good.

Anyway, this is a great board to find info and learn more about electrical work. I'll just sit back and let you guys carry on.

[This message has been edited by Darter (edited 12-17-2002).]
Posted By: gregoryf Re: Welcome to New Members! - 12/17/02 06:58 PM
Hello to everyone!
I am an IBEW Journeyman Meterman. I completed an apprenticeship as a Journeyman Wireman and after 12 years in the trade, I started working for the utility company. After completing 8000 hours as a meterman, I took the union test and changed my classification. I teach JW upgrade code classes and I seal with NEC extensively, but mainly Articles 230 (Services) and 250 (Grounding).
I enjoy the camaraderie and the debateing!

Gregory Fast
Journeyman Meterman
Ketchikan Public Utilities
1065 Fair St.
Ketchikan AK 99901
907-225-5505
FAX 907-247-0755
GREGORYF@city.ketchikan.ak.us
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: Welcome to New Members! - 12/17/02 10:21 PM
Hello to all,have been coming here for awhile.Am an electrican/plumber in northeast Ga.mountains. Have been in the trade for 18 years.Have 2 years tradeschool for electrical background,18 years ojt for plumbing.Around here up until 5 years ago you couldnt make it on 1 trade.Am learning a bunch from all the good people here. Thanks for making me feel welcome. Russell
Posted By: GEC-1 Re: Welcome to New Members! - 12/18/02 12:24 AM
Hello to all;

I am an electrical contractor. I've been around here off and on for about a year or so. I've been in the business for over 24 years. I live in Covington, Georgia; but almost all of my work is in Atlanta.
I really enjoy answering questions for those that ask. And, I also enjoy getting help when I need it.
I can be e-mailed at GEC6110373@aol.com. Look forward to chatting with all!
Posted By: james27613 Re: Welcome to New Members! - 12/18/02 03:02 AM
I am also new to this site, wealth of info here. My interests are in safety.

I am not in the trade but work in computer operations for NC State and at the local Home Depot p/t in electrical (please, be kind to me !).

We are luck to have a p/t coworker who is a licensed commericial electrician who can help us out if we are out of our league.

Safety is a big interest for me, as you can expect, many customers do not know what they are doing or try to rig something up because their friend did it that way, etc.

BTW, almost got in the trade back in 1977 but got talked out of it by 'guidance dude' at the school. Went into data processing instead ! My uncle is retired inspector from NY Con Ed and would take me along sometimes on his job. That is how I learned what I know about electrical work but only do my own projects.
Posted By: remarked Re: Welcome to New Members! - 12/18/02 05:44 AM
Hello everyone. I have enjoyed meeting you and seeing your pictures and I have been very impressed with the intellegence and helpfullness of this bulletin board.

I am one of your clients. My husband and I are in our 50s and 3 years some months ago bought our first house in Ashland, Oregon. This is what happens when you both work for the National Park Service and live in the parks in government housing. Anyway retirement for my husband is soon and we are busy getting a 1920s house ready for us to live in it. (The first 3 years we rented it, renter left July 2002) One of the jobs is upgrading, redoing, adding to the electrical system. I happened upon your BB several weeks ago and have been asking questions and learning ever since. In one of my question threads it was suggested that I post pictures for critique. I am sending them to Bill Addiss who will be posting them on one of the forums. I am interested in seeing what you all have to say.

PS We will be hiring a licensed electrican to do the work.

remarked (my name spelled backwards)
lavarock@cot.net
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Welcome to New Members! - 12/19/02 04:34 PM
It's great to hear from New Members here! [Linked Image]

Anyone else??
BTW, if anyone has any questions as to how to participate here or otherwise I'd be glad to help out.
Send me an Email >> Bill@Electrical-Contractor.net

Do any "Old" Members have any advice they'd like to share here?

[Linked Image]
Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 12-19-2002).]
Posted By: electure Re: Welcome to New Members! - 12/20/02 12:39 PM
I've been around since Christmas Eve 2000, (at that time I think there were just a few of us)and have learned more here in the last 2 years than I did in probably the previous 10.
This is due to the attitudes of the great people here at ECN. This is a place where a question can be asked without the fear of getting trashed, unlike the other forums.
I'd suggest that any of the "lurkers" that haven't registered do as Sparky says and "grab a mitt and join the game".
The wealth of information here can only increase as more people join in. [Linked Image]
Oh, yeah, I live a couple of miles away from Scott35 in Anaheim (I'm beginning to think that the # of guys named "Scott" here is exceeded only by the # of "Sparkys")...Scott
Posted By: Scotts Re: Welcome to New Members! - 12/20/02 03:25 PM
electure,
Now that you mention it, it does seem like there are a lot of us here. BTW I live in Thousand Oaks, about 70 miles north of Anaheim. I was the facility engineer/supervisor/manager for 10 years. Life got real rough with both of us working and 2 kids, who both have their own issues. Had enough, told work I quit. It became a quality of life issue. They said can you stay on part time as the safety guy. So that is what I do and then raise the kids in the afternoon. Been doing this for 3 years and it is a win/win situation.

As has been said, to all lurkers, come on in. As you can see I am no electrician, but I have been accepted here and have thouroughly enjoyed it.

Happy Holidays.
Scott
© ECN Electrical Forums