ECN Forum
Posted By: Sean WB 2002 SBCCI journeyman test - 09/16/02 04:26 AM
I am going for my retake of the 2002 SBCCI journeyman test. trouble is , they just adopted the 2002 NEC since my last test. so I am cramming through the 2002. Although I have been studying the 2002 for a while now in class ( I attend ABC merit Shop Training program through NCEER)
ANY POINTERS?? ON CHANGES SINCE !(((????
Also any online free quizes, etc? I am wiring like crazy and have no time to study.
BZZZT!!!
Posted By: sparky Re: 2002 SBCCI journeyman test - 09/16/02 10:11 AM
do you have a 'tabbed' book Sean?
Posted By: Frank Cinker Re: 2002 SBCCI journeyman test - 09/16/02 01:01 PM
Sean-

Mike Holt's Sept. quiz is available. https://www.electrical-contractor.net/cgi-bin/codequiz.cgi

Frank
Posted By: Sean WB Re: 2002 SBCCI journeyman test - 09/16/02 02:31 PM
yep, its tabbed.
Posted By: txsparky Re: 2002 SBCCI journeyman test - 09/17/02 12:26 AM
Sean
All that I can tell you is to study,study,study,and did I mention study.When Conroe,Tx went to SBCCI I took my journeymans exam,and when I returned 2 months later,to take my Masters,there was guys there taking the journeymans for the 4th and fifth time.Kinda scary that some had 20yrs experience!!
The journeymans was 4hrs open book (80 questions)The master is 4hrs open,3hrs closed,75questions each.I took prep classes before each exam through the IEC.Ithink one of the things that helped the most was the time I spent Highlighting the articles in my codebook,It sure makes it alot faster looking up different articles when you only have 3 minutes per question.
Good Luck,YOU CAN DO IT [Linked Image]
Posted By: Sean WB Re: 2002 SBCCI journeyman test - 09/17/02 12:38 AM
Thats a great idea!! I need to highlight ! especially the steps on sizing motor heaters ,overload protection etc. Those 6 tricky steps!!
LOL I may need to get those Tom Henry tabs. Did you pass the masters???
I have been taking a course for the code for a while now, trouble is they (SBCCI)just adopted the 2002 , I have been studying the 1999!!! Its cool. There are a lot of tables moved in the 2002 NEC. I just found a list of tables that were moved around in 2002, it has the reference from 1999. Man I am nervous. I May as well just make donations periodically to the SBCCI!!! YEAH RIGHT
Im gonna pass that Mo Fo
Ill post the results here on this thread.
Posted By: Sean WB Re: 2002 SBCCI journeyman test - 09/17/02 12:39 AM
PS what is IEC?? where are they located? Is it online prep??
Posted By: Pearlfish Re: 2002 SBCCI journeyman test - 09/17/02 02:46 PM
I envy all you guys. Below I've pasted an excerpt of the rules for taking the Chicago test.

Good luck Sean!

You should bring a clean, unmarked, bound copy of the 2001 Chicago
Electrical Code to the test. You may refer to a copy of the 2001 Code
during the examination ONLY if it meets the following requirements:
1. No additions, supplements, notes or other reference materials that are
not part of the original printed text may be stapled, glued, clipped or
otherwise attached to the book.
2. No loose-leaf formats are permitted and no tabs, notes, insertions or
other marks may be attached to any part of the book.
3. No highlighting, handwritten notes or other annotations may be
added to the original printed text of the book.
Candidates will NOT be permitted to use any books, notes or other
reference materials other than a clean, bound, unmarked copy of the 2001
Chicago Electrical Code as defined above during this examination.
Candidates may not annotate, highlight or otherwise change the content of
a reference copy of the 2001 Chicago Electrical Code during the test. Any
copy of the 2001 Chicago Electrical Code that is found to include such
changes will be confiscated immediately and the candidate may be
immediately excused from the examination and disqualified.
Posted By: Roger Re: 2002 SBCCI journeyman test - 09/17/02 04:21 PM
N.C. state exams. They furnish code books, pencils, paper, and even calculators. the only thing you can take in as far as reference is a tattoo.

Roger
Posted By: txsparky Re: 2002 SBCCI journeyman test - 09/17/02 04:47 PM
Sean.
IEC stands for Independent Electrical Contractors assoc.Their website is www.ieci.org
I went to classes at IEC office in Conroe.No online classes cept for ECN forums.Am still amazed at how much knowledge is available here and seems like I learn something new here everytime I visit.(well I did go to Mike Holt also [Linked Image] )

Got lucky and passed masters [Linked Image]
Posted By: Sean WB Re: 2002 SBCCI journeyman test - 09/17/02 05:50 PM
The chicago code will do me no good. Im in Texas, and I am under SBCCI .
I Ran 100' of sch 40 PVC this morning underground.*whew* I have got to get a trencher. fixing to go pull wire.
Thanks for the pointers.
Posted By: walrus Re: 2002 SBCCI journeyman test - 09/17/02 06:32 PM
Can anyone tell me what SBCCI stands for?, is this test harder than a regular Journeymans test. Does it allow one to work in several or all states?
Posted By: txsparky Re: 2002 SBCCI journeyman test - 09/17/02 07:19 PM
It stands for Southern Building Code Congress International

heres a link www.sbcci.com
Posted By: Sean WB Re: 2002 SBCCI journeyman test - 09/22/02 12:22 AM
Well, I had the test this morning, along with about 15 guys. I was one of the last 5 to finish. The young guys(<20)were through with an hour to spare [Linked Image] ..
Anywho here is a question that was on the test That I kind sorta had to just take a stab:
[Linked Image] a 480 volt, 3 phase service feeds a disconnect that has only one motor on it fed by 250 kcmil, what size grounded conductor does the NEC require to this motor?
a.250 kcmil
b.1/0
c.2/0
d.does not require ground
anyway, whatcha think?????

[This message has been edited by Sean WB (edited 09-21-2002).]
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: 2002 SBCCI journeyman test - 09/22/02 04:04 PM
Sean, Assuming that answer D should read "Does not require a grounded conductor" then that would be the best answer. If a motor doesn't need a neutral, you don't have to run one. But if it said "Does not require a ground" as you typed it, then the best answer (I think) is 250 kcmil.

Don't be concerned about those punks finishing early. They probably made a lot of careless errors and you probably just made sure you had the correct answer before you filled the bubble.
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: 2002 SBCCI journeyman test - 09/22/02 04:18 PM
Back in school, I was so hard on myself that I had to not only get an A (or preferably, a 100%) but I also had to be the first one finished.

Boy, how things have changed since then!
Now I'm doing good to just pass!
Posted By: Redsy Re: 2002 SBCCI journeyman test - 09/22/02 04:29 PM
Sean

I think the answer is D.
I don't think there is enough information to determine a groundING conductor size without knowing the type, and therefore rating, of the OCPD.
Correct?
Posted By: Sean WB Re: 2002 SBCCI journeyman test - 09/22/02 06:40 PM
I am aware that three phase motors do not need a neutral. the last option was "ground" not "grounded conductor".
I remember coming across a FPN that said if a neutral is going to a 3 phase motor (presumably with some type of MCC equipment)that requires a neutral, It shall be same size as phase conductors.I will post my results of the test when I get them [Linked Image]
Posted By: Sean WB Re: 2002 SBCCI journeyman test - 10/13/02 12:29 AM
Well Guys I received my results from the SBCCI Journeyman test today........,
I PASSED [Linked Image] !!!!
Thanks for the pointers Sparky66.
Well, What next?? hmmm........
Posted By: Sean WB Re: 2002 SBCCI journeyman test - 10/13/02 12:30 AM
PS Thank you Mike Holt for your prep exams! (the free ones)!! If youre in here, Thank you
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: 2002 SBCCI journeyman test - 10/13/02 12:47 AM
Congrats Sean!

Attaboy!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: waymag Re: 2002 SBCCI journeyman test - 10/13/02 12:56 AM
I too took the SBCCI exam and when i passed the test(2nd try) I think my feet touched the ground one time all the way to the house from the mailbox.....you know you have to tell everyone. Congrats dude.
Posted By: Sean WB Re: 2002 SBCCI journeyman test - 10/13/02 06:36 AM
yes, Thats exactly way it went [Linked Image]
Hope to get same support for the masters exam
Proud day for me
Posted By: txsparky Re: 2002 SBCCI journeyman test - 10/13/02 04:47 PM
CONGRATULATIONS SEAN !!!!
© ECN Electrical Forums