ECN Forum
Posted By: Chris Rudolph Where can I buy a miners head lamp? - 08/22/02 06:17 PM
Where can I purchase a head lamp for working in unlit basements and attics.I am tired of biting on my small Mag flashlight.
Chris
Posted By: CTwireman Re: Where can I buy a miners head lamp? - 08/22/02 06:31 PM
If you don't want the real thing, any well stocked electrical suply store or "big box" should have a cheap imitation of them. Also, try a camping supply catalog or store.
CT,Thanks for the suggestions.I never thought about the camping supply store.
Chris
Posted By: lbartel Re: Where can I buy a miners head lamp? - 08/22/02 08:27 PM
Lots of styles. Battery pack on the head band or on belt. Primary or rechargeable batteries. Lots of options. Some are very robust.
http://www.caves.org/imo/lamps.htm
Posted By: elektrikguy Re: Where can I buy a miners head lamp? - 08/22/02 08:37 PM
I have seen at target and walmart an actual head harness that uses your maglite for just that purpose. It is located in the camping section.
Posted By: Currently Re: Where can I buy a miners head lamp? - 08/22/02 10:29 PM
Cross country skiers also use something similar for skiing at nite. LL Bean's is a good place to get these. If they break, they replace them. Had good luck and very little hassles from them on replacing merchandise.
If you are not an eyeglass wearer, there is also a unit that looks like plastic eyeglass frames with the lites on each ear piece. I wear glasses so I can't use that one. My stepson got one for xmas a couple of years ago from me and he uses it all the time.

[This message has been edited by Currently (edited 08-22-2002).]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Where can I buy a miners head lamp? - 08/23/02 03:07 AM
Chris,
Try a Police supply store. They carry all kinds of neat lighting stuff. I got a Surefire flashlight for attics and crawlspaces and several pen sized quartz lights at our local Police supply. The pen size lights are a lot lighter and smaller than a mag light. They take quadruple A cells, theyre bright enough to light up a J box in the attic and they last a LONG time. My next purchase will be their 2 stage headlamp with 7 led lamps, 2 for long life and all 7 for "high beams". They cost $35.00
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Where can I buy a miners head lamp? - 08/23/02 03:09 AM
Oh and by the way. Mag light makes a plastic mouthpiece for holding the light. No joke.
Posted By: Thom Re: Where can I buy a miners head lamp? - 08/23/02 01:06 PM
I purchased a Streamlight Septor headlamp about a month ago. This is an LED unit, light, 3 positions - 1, 3 or 7 LEDs. Uses 3 AAA batteries. I don't know how I lived without one!! Cost $35.00
Posted By: strangedog Re: Where can I buy a miners head lamp? - 08/23/02 01:39 PM
REI.Com has a nice selection of headlamps. Some even have the external battery packs so you do not have much weight on your head.
Hey, I hate to sound 1000 years old again, but when he said miners headlamp, I envisioned a carbide type. I have 3, no batteries and a good amount of light. I've seen these in spelunking catalogs, surely someone has the info? Sparky66wv????
Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Chris
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Where can I buy a miners head lamp? - 08/23/02 03:21 PM
[Linked Image from users.stargate.net]
Oh yes, ye olde carbide lamps! An "Autolight" and a "Butterfly" represented here, I've got a "Guy's Dropper" somewhere...

Can't get carbide after 9-11 though... [Linked Image]

[Linked Image from users.stargate.net]

The headlamp I use at work, $8 at Walmart, but a little on the heavy side.

Joe uses Petzl lamps. Battery life is excellent with LEDs.

I can't believe I almost missed this thread!

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 08-23-2002).]
I didn't realize you can't get carbide too easy now, guess I better watch my remaining stock. What's a guy to do, hook it directly up to his acetylene tank? or have I gotta watch my supply of that too? [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Where can I buy a miners head lamp? - 08/23/02 08:47 PM
Finding good, fresh calcium carbide is the key.

If you want to look on line for a bit more modern lights, see: ledmuseum.org or http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/ledleft.htm Cost more initially, but shock/jar resistant and fairly good on batteries.

Uh, and here's the amazing [b]bite∙O∙matic[/b]

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 08-23-2002).]
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Where can I buy a miners head lamp? - 08/23/02 10:04 PM
BTW, that's genuine West Virginia Cave Mud and dust that you see on the carbide lamps.

They've seen many a mile!

(Guess I should polish 'em up and put 'em on the shelf for show-pieces... [Linked Image] )

George, it's only hearsay on my end, but the local supliers can't get any, and everybody's hoarding what they got. Seems that the acetylene plants are the only recipients of it now. I haven't read any confirmation, but I've been out of the loop for a while too.

Felts, tips, and tip cleaners will probably become scarce too.

Ah, they stink like rotten eggs anyway (which I always thought was a part of their charm!).

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 08-23-2002).]
OK, someone has to say it.......It's part of mine [Linked Image]
At least when the lamps around, I can blame it.
© ECN Electrical Forums