ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 532 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Cat Servant
It is one thing to seek explanations for something, and another to have a chip on your shoulder. One of the things that really irks me is the "you instinctively know better than all the idiots out there" mindset that is taught in so many schools.

Knowing without learning? I don't think so.

There is a reason apprenticeships take years; it really does take that long to learn just the basics of a trade.
Apart from 'book learning,' there is the mater of judgement. An electrician is paid for his judgement. There is also the mattter of perspective- looking at something in terms of the whole job.

I hear criticisms of not meeting code, and criticisms of exceeding code. If you can't have faith in your teacher- it's time for a new teacher.

Are all of us less than perfect? Sure we are. We goof, we overlook things, we take short-cuts... but most of all, we try to play the best game we can with the less-than-perfect hand we've been dealt.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Reno:

BRAVO, well thought out, and well said!!!!

Shock:

Ever think about 'your boss' dropping by this public forum???
I'm not being a wise guy, but....ya never know who reads; be it on the PC, or in the mens room, or porta-potti.

John

John
S
Is it up to code to attach a coach lamp fixture bar directly to a concrete wall?

Is it ok to add an additional receptacle from the dedicated 20 amp line for a laundry receptacle in the same room?

Is it ok to not install a light and GFCI receptacle for 7.5 ton rooftop A/C condensor?

Is it ok to ignore manufacturers specs for a kitchen hood fan/ light that requires an individual 20 amp branch circuit and feed it from the microwave oven circuit?

These are all things I have done for this contractor. And it burns me up that I have taken the time to become a better electrician by going to school, visiting this forum on a daily basis, and reading book after book about electrical theory, and then told to do things the ****** up way. And then to top it off you folks side with him. I am not new at this. I've been at it for over 15 years. I don't claim to know everything but I do know right from wrong.

I
Is it up to code to attach a coach lamp fixture bar directly to a concrete wall?

No.

Is it ok to add an additional receptacle from the dedicated 20 amp line for a laundry receptacle in the same room?

Yes.

Is it ok to not install a light and GFCI receptacle for 7.5 ton rooftop A/C condensor?

The NEC requires a receptacle outlet withing 25' and on the same level as the unit.

The NEC does not require a light for a RTU.

Is it ok to ignore manufacturers specs for a kitchen hood fan/ light that requires an individual 20 amp branch circuit and feed it from the microwave oven circuit?

I doubt that any hood fan /light actually requires a 20 amp individual branch circuit.

But you have missed the point.

The point is you are responsible for what you do.

If this person continually asks you to perform work that you feel is wrong than it is up to you to either quit or stay and do whats asked of you.

How they run their business is none of your business.

Good luck, no one is giving you a hard time for wanting to do nice work and no one is siding with your boss.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
L
Either stay and stop complaining, or leave and stop complaining.

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
T
As was stated above:
You are responsible for the work you do.
If your boss requires you to do Work that you feel is illegal, immoral, or otherwise against your better judgement, then you should be looking for another employer.

H
Back to the topic...I've worked on many roof fans and they are designed to be disconnected from inside the attic. The bolts that hold the dome on has nuts on the inside that you hold from the attic side. And after the dome is removed, I'm not putting my hand thru the blades to disconnect the electric from the roof side. So my vote is for an attic light and a switch.

G
Then you are installing one of those dome fans you put the blade on after you wire it. I understand getting the blade off 20 years later may be tougher.

Greg Fretwell
E
e57 Offline
Reach through fan to disconnect????? Never seen one of those....

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
E
Besides, the residential and mechanical codes require a light in attic spaces with an appliance anyway.

Earl
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard