ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 534 guests, and 34 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#97398 03/15/06 04:32 AM
M
Bad AHJ's always win. Power thing.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#97399 03/15/06 07:35 AM
E
They most certainly do not Mike nor should they. The only way they "win" is if we let them.

I had an inspector try to fail an above ground pool because the bonding wire went around and under the top rail of the pool. He said it needed to go around the bottom of the pool and touch the ground so the pool is grounded. He wanted to see me bury it a little bit in the sand around the pool so it had a good ground. In not so many words I told him to go pound that sand.

The reality is I went over and above the bonding requirements for bonding. I could have just connected at one point and been done. I actually encircled the pool and made several connections.

#97400 03/15/06 06:47 PM
Guys:

THe only way to curtail the "my way" guys is to stand your ground!

As Harold stated, the Board of Appeals. Or, try talking to the Inspector, if not go to the Elec Sub-Code, then the Construction Official. (Chain of Command in NJ)

I can say 'I'm not right all the time'; I'm not "God"; I'm human, I make mistakes & I'm not affraid to admit it.

John

John
#97401 03/16/06 12:39 PM
M
This is starting to drift off subject but,-- Here is the reality. If you confront an inspector in the field, specificially a hard ball type, then you run the risk of "censure" or whatever you want to call it from the rest of the gang in his office. Those guy's all work with each other every day and make friends. If you want to start having trouble all over town all of a sudden, just step on the wrong toes. Of course if you are able to never ever have any code violations at all, then you have nothing to worry about. Because every single last one of the boxes you nail up never are more than 1/8" back from the non combustable surface. Know what I mean Vern?

#97402 03/18/06 10:45 PM
D
"This is starting to drift off subject but,-- Here is the reality. If you confront an inspector in the field, specificially a hard ball type, then you run the risk of "censure" or whatever you want to call it from the rest of the gang in his office. Those guy's all work with each other every day and make friends. If you want to start having trouble all over town all of a sudden, just step on the wrong toes. Of course if you are able to never ever have any code violations at all, then you have nothing to worry about. Because every single last one of the boxes you nail up never are more than 1/8" back from the non combustable surface. Know what I mean Vern?"

I wish to whole-heartedly disagree with this statement. I am an electrical inspector, some would say I'm not easy on the folks...but I would never deny a contractor's right to dispute me all the way to my boss...in fact I encourage it. I tell them right out, 'come into the office at the end of the day and we can look this up in the code book, Handbook, etc. to see if I've made a mistake, if you still don't agree with my decision you can speak with my supervisor.' There are no hard fellings on my part or fellow inspectors. That attitude does not play in the part of the country I work in. Increasingly, bldg. departments DEMAND an attitude towards customer service, willingness to listen and work with the public/contractor to get the job done correctly...if you cannot backup your decision with a code section, don't be making the call.

I have made incorrect calls in the field, gone back to the office and checked a code book, another inspector, or my boss and have been wrong; I call the contractor up immediately, admit I was wrong and apologize for the inconvenience. I honestly believe every inspector in our department feels that way.

#97403 03/19/06 03:37 PM
OK, west coast joins the fray and is in agreement for the EC to 'stand his ground' if the EC is right.

BTW, I had a rough re-inspection Fri; noticed a bare #8 thru studs of 1st floor; went up to look further; OK jacuzzi bond. Motor lug to motor mounting base twice, to h&c piping and down......
"where's it go??" "To the neutral bar in the panel, and then to the grd rod" proudly stated Mr Homeowner. After explaining parallel ground paths; he said 'the other guy (inspector) told me to do it this way'
WRONG.

(Back on track now??)

John

John
#97404 03/19/06 04:24 PM
G
If this is the neutral bar in the service disconnect enclosure where the MBJ lives I don't see a parallel neutral problem. You can parallel all the grounding conductors you like, code wise. You do it every day when you pull a hard ground in a steel raceway. If that gets supported by building steel you grounded it to the electrode again.
There may be eddy currents but no parallel circuit current.
That is the rational for IG.

Greg Fretwell
#97405 03/20/06 06:36 PM
Greg:
Lacking specifics above, (sorry) he went to the neutral of a sub-panel, then to two rods he drove outside the foundation, opposite side of service entrance w/2 other rods.

John

John
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard