ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 565 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#95307 09/15/05 08:11 PM
I
So where is the quote button

I found it

This is how you do it. you type [ quote ] put in your quote then type [/ quote ]

Now I left spaces in the UBB code so you could see it, close the spaces up and it looks like the above quote.

Go here https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/ubbcode.html for more info.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#95308 09/15/05 08:12 PM
G
The text you are quoting clearly say "Insulated Color Coded conductors".The jacket doesn't count as insulated nor is it color coded. Sorry.

George Little
#95309 09/15/05 09:45 PM
J
Bomzin
Every day on the way to and from I am passed by those who are driving over the speed limit. Just because they are not getting a ticket does not mean they aren’t breaking the law.

On the Mobile, Manufactured and Modular home the two rules that is being violated with the use of SER cable are 550.15 (H) and 550.33.

Before we look at 550.15 (H) let’s look at another section in 550.15.
550.15 (B) Nonmetallic Cable Protection. Nonmetallic cable located 380 mm (15 in.) or less above the floor, if exposed, shall be protected from physical damage by covering boards, guard strips, or raceways. Cable likely to be damaged by stowage shall be so protected in all cases.

the part of this section that is in bold says that if it is likely to be damaged by stowage it shall be protected. This is why in (H) it states or under-chassis wiring shall be protected. Most people use the space under the trailer for storage of lawn mowers and such.

550.15 H) Under-Chassis Wiring (Exposed to Weather). Where outdoor or under-chassis line-voltage (120 volts, nominal, or higher) wiring is exposed to moisture or physical damage, it shall be protected by rigid metal conduit or intermediate metal conduit. The conductors shall be suitable for wet locations.
Exception: Type MI cable, electrical metallic tubing, or rigid nonmetallic conduit shall be permitted where closely routed against frames and equipment enclosures.
Notice that the exception that is in bold allows the use of EMT or RNC if it is run against the frame.

None of this matters because of 550.33. Now when we read this section we need to pay close attention to the word insulated as this does not allow a bare conductor that is covered. The equipment grounding conductor in SER is bare and covered by the sheathing.

550.33 Feeder.
(A) Feeder Conductors. Feeder conductors shall consist of either a listed cord, factory installed in accordance with 550.10(B), or a permanently installed feeder consisting of four insulated, color-coded conductors that shall be identified by the factory or field marking of the conductors in compliance with 310.12. Equipment grounding conductors shall not be identified by stripping the insulation.

I have heard a lot of people say that they have been doing this for years and my reply is, “that doesn’t make it right.”
As I stated earlier in this post about speeding, one cop will let 7 MPH go while another will ticket at 5 MPH over.
[Linked Image]
Myself, if I were a traffic cop the ticket would come at one MPH over. Not only that but once I caught you I would be watching you from then on. I love my insurance companies. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Mike
#95310 09/17/05 07:17 AM
I
Myself, if I were a traffic cop the ticket would come at one MPH over.

Luckily the judges would quickly tire of you crowding their courtrooms and fix your 1 MPH enforcement. [Linked Image]

That said SER is out under mobile homes, that is not just 1 MPH over. Looking at my NEC to traffic law converter I would say that is more like 25 over in a 30 zone.

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
#95311 09/17/05 12:36 PM
T
Slightly off track...Crystal Lake, IL doesn't allow NM in branch circuits, but allows SER??? I must not have it right, because I'm thinking physical protection is an issue at 15 and 20-amp, 120-volt, but not at 200-amp, 240-volt??? It may have changed, but I've seen services with SER.

Dave

#95312 09/17/05 12:51 PM
I
I've seen services with SER

And why not?

SER is of course service entrance cable. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
#95313 09/17/05 01:53 PM
J

quote:

I've seen services with SER

And why not?
SER is of course service entrance cable. [Linked Image]

Iwire will you stop that if I laugh any harder my side will split.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Mike
#95314 09/17/05 03:34 PM
I
The thing is many will not see any humor there.

Those that have grown up seeing only RMC services have a real problem accepting SE as anything more than big zip cord. [Linked Image]

In this area SE, PVC and RMC are all used depending on the location, specifications or the installers preference.

Bob

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
#95315 09/17/05 05:03 PM
T
Of course I didn't even crack a smile. It looks like a big zip-cord to me.

Dave

#95316 09/25/05 04:07 PM
So what's so funny about that, Bob? [Linked Image]

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard