ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
240V only in a home and NEC?
by HotLine1 - 05/14/24 03:41 PM
Electricians revenge
by gfretwell - 05/09/24 08:24 PM
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 183 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
D
Gentlmen, Let me tell you of my experiences in MI. In almost all cases the 1st job I've done in any AHJ's area, he has done a rather thorough Inspection. This means he checked for proper wiring on most circuits including switches. However, in 98% of inspectors I have dealt with that was only on the 1st job of mine that they inspected. The vast majority of inspectors here in MI are very reasonable. I have seen a few exceptions but not many. By the way I have run a 14-3 to a receptacle when I knew I wouldn't have proper luminaire for final.

Larry Houle

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
Joe- I can't think of any "preachings" that happened lately but I'm sure there were some where you and I differed. That's okay, it shows we are both thinking and sometimes all of us have to re-think things. As to the amendment to the code here in Michigan, we only have three that are noteworthy.
1. NM cable is permitted above three floors in all types of construction.
2. An EGC is required in all flexible wiring methods except FMT which no one uses here in Michigan anyway.
3. And, 230.40 Ex. 3 has been deleted. Utility interest.

[This message has been edited by George Little (edited 07-31-2005).]

George Little
D
Joe, "Provisional"

Some way of passing the electrical with some type of footnotes, like:

Electrical final approved, but awaiting final appliance, or something that allows the EC to bill and accept warranty times without waiting for the GC, homeowner or such. We all know, that the wriiten word is final, but sometimes, something has to bend.

You've never driven 56 in a 55?

By the way Joe, the 3rd party inspectors I use are great. they are very informative and helpful. Like us EC, not all are bad. I can't speak highly enough of the outfit I use.

Dnk.....

R
Dnk,
We all know, that the wriiten word is final, but sometimes, something has to bend.
in the case of this thread, the Appliances and Luminaires are not required, so there is nothing as far as a "Written Word" needing to bent for the final.

Roger

D
The appliance thing is what I am referring to Roger.

Dnk.......

S
Joe,
This may be to your liking. In my area, you can get a "Temporary Occupancy" provided the Dwelling, Unit or Bldg is in a safe condition ie..Panel Directory, common devices installed, Speacialty Devices installed or blanked off till they arrive, Fixtures (you have to have a majority installed for saftey and it can be a porcilin base) installed or Blanked Off, for residences Major Kitchen Appliances, Heating of the dwelling, for commercial Heating and A/C must be operational.
This will get the customer moved into a "Safe Atmosphere" but the Final Inspection must follow within 12 months or the permit will expire.
The inspector will look at work not performed after the TO was signed off. This system works well here as it would anywhere, everyone just needs to get used to it as the status quo.
Also, with TO we can get paid to 90% of contract until the Final Insp.

As far as your "Challange", its good that you have such strong morals.

Respectfully submitted
Rob

[This message has been edited by sierra electrician (edited 07-31-2005).]

G
Sounds like some of you guy/girls would have a tough life working here in Michigan. Let me pose this question: How intellegent (be nice) do I look if I approve Final with no luminaries? How's this guy going to move in? Guess he needs a cap with a minor's lamp on it. Now assume I did approve this job (which I would not) this is a FINAL. Come on people.

I have approved jobs with some fixtures missing and noted on the report such and such fixtures missing so the builder and electrician and myself are covered. Then if I never see that job again (which is the case) and something happens- I'm golden.

George Little
R
Rob, that's fine if that is an adopted code in your area, but it is not an NEC requirement.

If there are local amendments that is a different ballgame, but I don't think most areas would want to get involved in making people have to have something in their residences, that they choose not to have.

George, not trying to put you on the spot, but answer one thing, is there an amendment in MI requiring Luminaires be installed, or is this your own rule?

Remember, in other than Kitchens and Bathrooms a switched receptacle is all that is needed.

So as I said in the other thread,
I would simply run a three wire to a receptacle in close proximity or directly below the switch and split this receptacle. I would then leave the conductors to the light capped off and tagged in the switch box, install a blank cover over the "future" fixture rough in and be in total compliance with the NEC.

I understand and respect your desire as an inspector to want things as safe as they can possibly be, but you can only enforce what is adopted code in your jurisdiction.

Roger

S
Roger, this is not Code as per NEC it is required by the local Bldg Dept. Sorry for any confusion.

Rob

S
I would also add that it is not up to inspector to exceed what is required in your area to get a Final Ispection.

Rob

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard