ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 573 guests, and 37 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#94157 07/14/05 09:09 AM
D
A little late for this one, but I'd make the argument that the "5 foot rule" is meant to apply to horizontal distance inside a building, not vertical.

As long as the panel is within 5' H from point of entrance this argument might work.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#94158 07/14/05 06:07 PM
Here in NJ, most (but not all) AHJ's allow a "reasonable" amount of UNPROTECTED SE within a structure.

There is no 'black or white' type answer.

As an AHJ, "reasonable" is determined on a case-by-case basis, and I, nor anybody else will commit to a measurement.

Basically, enter at the sill plate, run STRAIGHT down into the panel, and you should be OK. Venture to the right or left, and you get a red sticker. Our utility co's have no jurisdiction past the meter pan, and they usually don't comment on anything past the point of attachment.

Options are exterior disco, or concrete encasement (NOT SEU); choices are left to the EC.

John

John
#94159 07/15/05 05:26 PM
R
ROSLYN Offline OP
Thanks, The issue was cleared with 2 inspections agencys, but the other 3 are still reviewing the information. Upon entering the building from a cill plate for ( SEU cable ) or PVC conduit system. AHJ will set a 5 to 8 Ft limit, pending a ( as Per Job Basis ). The utility is concerned up to the MAIN Breaker, as to Fault protection and other interests of concern the utility has a voice in the matter. The electrical meeting for September will have an updated ( question & Answer Period ) on this topic.

#94160 07/15/05 05:50 PM
I
A little late for this one, but I'd make the argument that the "5 foot rule" is meant to apply to horizontal distance inside a building, not vertical.

There is no 5' rule in the NEC, you may have a local amendment with a 5' rule but as far as the NEC is concerned it is "nearest the point of entrance"

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#94161 07/16/05 01:26 PM
P
There is/was an errata in the NEC in Art 338, where it mentions that the cable can enter the building to 6 feet. This and other local codes have kept the "myth" of some kind of allowance into the building before a disconnect is required.

I totally disagree. Just my opinion. The municipalities that restrict the disconnect to the outside of the building in my mind seem to understand the potential danger of allowing unprotected service entrance conductors inside of any structure or building.

There are all kinds of arguments against an outside disconnect for services, but the municipalities that require this seem to have none of those problems...HMMM!!!

The NEC is a safety document, and I still think that keeping the disconnect outside is a great idea.

Maybe a proposal to change the language is in order. [Linked Image]

Pierre Belarge
#94162 07/16/05 01:39 PM
E
There are all kinds of arguments against an outside disconnect for services, but the municipalities that require this seem to have none of those problems...HMMM!!!

There are also all kinds of arguments against a disconnect inside. The municipalities that allow this don't seem to have these problems.

#94163 07/16/05 01:44 PM
I
Pierre

I am sure that is 100% accurate.

Now can you document any problems with going in 6' other than a gut feeling that it's unsafe?

I do not mean to be a wise guy here but in this area an outside disconnect is a rare thing.

Also rare is a problem with the service conductors inside the building. HMMM! [Linked Image]

I have never seen an incident with this installation in my 41 years on the planet.

Now if you could show a history of problems with the status quo then you could put in a proposal. [Linked Image]

Of course MA would probably amend out any changes to the current wording. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
#94164 07/16/05 10:27 PM
P
Look at how these two Redsox fans are picking on a Yankee fan, just because the Yankees won today [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Pierre Belarge
#94165 07/17/05 03:42 AM
I
LOL [Linked Image]
(I hope you really do not feel picked on)

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
#94166 07/17/05 04:06 AM
I
Here is a service I saw while in NY last summer it is on East Main St in Washingtonville, NY.

Are the black boxes under the meter service rated disconnects?

From this distance they look like HVAC cut outs.

[Linked Image]

Nice protection on the SEs [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard