ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 566 guests, and 33 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
I
George

If the plans spec out a light in the closet then you would need a light in the closet or re-submit the plans.

I got you now, your not mean if that is how things are handled in your area.

The inspections in my area are strictly NEC inspections, I have never had an inspector want to look at the prints and compare them to what is actually installed.

I would be in deep @@@@ if they did, our jobs almost never match the prints that where submitted to the building dept.

Around here everything is subject to change on a minute to minute basis. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

L
LK Offline
"I have never had an inspector want to look at the prints and compare them to what is actually installed."

In our area they require print filed with permit, changes are allowed, provided you update permit, and they are not rigid on changes, provided you filed update.

Just check any towns fire logs, you would be suprised, how many fires are caused by keyless closet lights comming in contact with combustable material.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 06-26-2005).]

I
LK If we relocate an electric room maybe the prints get updated.

Change / move / delete lighting fixtures...err ...luminaires I would be very surprised (shocked even) if the building dept gets updated drawings.

The exception to this are Fire Alarm Drawings I must work from the original stamped set, no copy's and changes must be approved. But for me Fire Alarm prints do not go through the building dept, they go through the fire dept.

Bob

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
G
I refer to the plans quite often to settle issues on inspections. Contractor / Homeowner say " It's a storage room" Plans say it's a bedroom. contractor say it's a setting room- Plans say it's a dining room. And my personal favorite "It's a sewing room" I guess the Inspector has to have something to refer to. In our area we ask that a set of approved plans be on the job site for inspections.

[This message has been edited by George Little (edited 06-26-2005).]

George Little
G
I know the jobs don't go in per plans on residential -Silly Rabbit.
But there some things that we need to be sure happen and I feel very strongly about 410.8 and the plans are a tool I use for this compliance.

Yes they may well put the keyless back after I leave as well as put the Halo 310 trim up after I made them change it to the covered lens trim but Hey! I can't police that and it was fine when I inspected it.

George Little
L
LK Offline
Bob,

In the industrial and commercial office sites, they have been lax for years on both getting permits, and having work inspected, some claim they are not subject to inspections, this discussion continues to come up, repair and maintain is one thing, but new plant construction, or office fit-up's should have permits and inspections, and i see more areas requiring these jobs to be filed, which usually require a sealed print and inspection form, some of these jobs are getting a plan review, and some are approved without the process, but every area has different ways of operating, so this may not hold true for all areas.
When these sites are inspected, the agency doing the inspection needs up to date information, and if it is a design build project as many are today, what you are saying is exactly what many do.

"Change / move / delete lighting fixtures...err ...luminaires I would be very surprised (shocked even) if the building dept gets updated drawings."
Right, 99% of the time when this work is done, they don't, update or apply for permits, and every excuse from, it dosen't apply to us, or i will be thrown off the job by the building management, if i apply for a permit, to the other guy is not getting permits, but i got hit, for not permitting, some of these jobs, and it was not easy to recover from the mess it left, Yes you can go thru a red light, but one time or another, there will be a ticket or an accident.
In my opinion updating prints helps everyone, but i can see you point on this issue.

"But there some things that we need to be sure happen and I feel very strongly about 410.8 and the plans are a tool I use for this compliance."

Keep up the good work George.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 06-26-2005).]

I
LK we have permits and we get inspections.

Plans are turned in at the time of permit filling.

But I kid you not, the inspectors in this area are not 'plan' inspectors.

As long as the job meets the NEC (well the MEC) it is signed off.

Until I started hanging out at these forums I had never heard of an inspector comparing the prints to what is actually installed, I was very surprised to find that out.

I had always looked at that as an issue between the customer and the EC or GC as the case may be.

What we do have is customers representative stopping by the jobs all the time taking pictures and verifying that the customer is getting what they paid for.

I doubt our inspectors would have the time to check for deviations from the prints.

This may be different in small residential construction here but I do not know.

As you said each area has different methods.

Looks like if I moved to another area I would have to learn new methods. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
L
LK Offline
Bob,

We had a big fit-up job held up in the town where Hot Line inspects, and yes, the plan review process takes time, in his town the work load backs up, i guess it's a manpower thing, but when the time pressure in on the EC, it can get pretty heavy.

I
By the way LK, I did not mean to give the impression that we do it right here and you do it wrong there.

Just different.

Bob

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
L
LK Offline
I understand, every area operates under different conditions, and i know you are involved in some pretty large projects, that can give you a real work out.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard