ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 565 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Steve what would you do if the design called for future circuits (intended to serve hard wired equipment) to be installed and capped off or landed in a disconnect.

Let's say the design says the equipment will be installed at an unknown later date.

This would be the same thing as the light fixtures being installed after the wiring has been signed off on.

Roger

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
I would inspect the branch circuits up to the point of the disconnect or cap off. I guess there is a fine line between lighting and equipment (a circuit is a circuit) but I could more readily be certain if there are a set of #10's in the panel and another set in the attic and the contractor says that these are the same wires being fed from the panel, that that is actually the case. Whereas, a contractor telling me all his lights and receptacles and switches are wired properly, I am less likely (through experience) to trust them. I could quickly verify compliance with one or two future circuits. A whole house full of lighting outlets? No way am I waiting for the contractor to put meter on the wires at every lighting outlet.

Now if the contractor installed empty outlets and said they are for future use, and they are not locations required by code and he didn't have wires pulled, I would let the blanks stay on.

If the code requirement wasn't for a wall switch-controlled lighting outlet, but just a lighting outlet, I might let the blanks go, but I am bound to assure the outlet is wall switch controlled. I can't do this without a working fixture being install.

J
My 2 cents worth,around here the poco will not hook up the power until the inspector completes his final,unless it is a 225 amp or larger service for a dwelling and then the contractor must get a service release

C
Also my 2 cents....

Around here (2 municipalities) we have a "Rough-In" Inspection and a "Final" Inspection. The POCO meter is not installed until after the "Final". The inspector does not have the opportunity to check an energized home and any grievances are between the GC and the EC; should any parts of the electrical system not be in working order. How does the inspector know that any light in the home is working, if any 3-way is functional or if all receptacles show correct wiring??? He doesn't....but this system works just fine and we haven't yet imploded!

Let's go a step further! [Linked Image]
How can you tell that the luminaire's properly grounded without taking it off to look at the connection or a using a meter? There's no way to tell with just a light bulb that lights up.
See, it's all relative. What one thinks is OK, another may consider absurd.

I will check three ways and the light will go on at one switch, off at the second switch, but not back on at the third switch. Inspection Report--Improperly wired three way. How do I know this without a fixture being installed and working?

Do you suppose that somebody that just bought a new home is going to let something like that just slide?...."Aah, we didn't need them to work, anyway. It's OK"
It will be fixed.

It could be a faulty switch properly wired.
It could be the 4 way switch and not one of the 3 ways. Diagnosis is not part of inspection. [Linked Image]

I
electure

See, it's all relative. What one thinks is OK, another may consider absurd.

I am learning that is true more and more, I now try to keep that in mind at all times.

Let's go a step further!
How can you tell that the luminaire's properly grounded without taking it off to look at the connection or a using a meter?

Darn good point, IMO the question of it being properly grounded is more important then if it lights the lamp.

I agree with Scott that the customers will let us know if equipment does not work.

Will they let us know if the equipment is properly grounded? I think not.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
M
boy you guys have it rough.. here in upstate ny the meter gets set when you get your inspection for the service. who wants to build and wire a whole house with a generator?? that sucks..

[This message has been edited by makokiller (edited 12-18-2004).]

E
who wants to build and wire a whole house with a generator?? that sucks..
Didn't know it was any other way. Around here, its no final, no power, period, end of discussion. [Linked Image]

John
C
Didn't know it was any other way. Around here, its no final, no power, period, end of discussion.

You guys have it rough! I plant a temporary power pole on the lot prior to construction, it is inspected and the POCO sticks a meter in it so all trades have power.

G
They get power after the service rough here. The panel is usually in the garage so they will have one 20a breaker in it and the GFCI garage outlet installed. All the trades plug into that. It looks like the Chevy Chase Christmas movie with cube taps and extension cords

Greg Fretwell
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard