ECN Forum
From the Suncoast Division of the IAEI

It is a very common practice around here to have a blank cover for the lighting outlet, even on a $800,000 house.

Question:

Is an electrical inspector correct for asking that a lighting fixture (or lampholder) be installed at lighting outlets where they exist instead of a blank cover, such as in a kitchen or bathroom, or in any other location before allowing occupancy?
In a kitchen or bathroom I think a light must be installed in order to satisfy 210.70, although I can see where a person could argue it.

If the light is in a location where a lighting outlet is not required, then I would have to allow a blank cover.
It is clear all that is required by the NEC is an outlet.

210.70 Lighting Outlets Required.

Lighting outlets shall be installed where specified in 210.70(A), (B), and (C).

(A) Dwelling Units. In dwelling units, lighting outlets shall be installed in accordance with 210.70(A)(1), (2), and (3).

(1) Habitable Rooms. At least one wall switch-controlled lighting outlet shall be installed in every habitable room and bathroom.

Exception No. 1: In other than kitchens and bathrooms, one or more receptacles controlled by a wall switch shall be permitted in lieu of lighting outlets.

Outlet. A point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment.

Perhaps there are building codes that actually require illumination.

You can only enforce what the code states, especially true when the words are in article 100

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 10-31-2004).]
Although it's as tacky as it can be, I agree that by definition, the outlet is required, but the utilization equiptment (the light in this case)isn't. Having argued the technicality of the NEC, I'd always install a light, even if only an open-bulb plastic light (75 cents?). I wouldn't want to loose a customer over a few dollars.

Dave
I believe that the intent of the code is to provide lighting without requiring an additional permit to install the fixtures.

While only an outlet, the recepticle, is required at a recepticle, a fixture is required at a juction box.
Forgetting about what each of us would do, or what the NFPAs intent is, what does 210.70 state?

Article 100
Lighting Outlet. An outlet intended for the direct connection of a lampholder, a luminaire (lighting fixture), or a pendant cord terminating in a lampholder.

Notice it states "intended", it does not state "equipped with"

The 2002 NEC use the word Luminaire over 250 times, why not here in 210.70?

The exception that allows "receptacles controlled by a wall switch" specifically states receptacles, not receptacle outlets.

Still we are not required to leave a floor lamp.

Tacky or not [Linked Image] that is how I see it.

I am interested in how this can be interpreted any other way?

Bob
Outlet: A point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment.

It can be argued that the phrase "IS TAKEN" requires a fixture as well as bulbs to transform the junction box into an outlet.

But I can see where people might want to select their own lighting fixtures and I would not object to that either.
George, are you saying you would fail a final if there was a burned out bulb?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Final Electrical Inspection Includes Completion - 11/01/04 03:57 PM
It's pretty common in the Denver area as well. Here is the scenario: Family room,(Or other room)has switched receptacle to meet the intent of the code. Then a switch and lighting opening are roughed in for a ceiling fan and it is an option to either hang a builder furnished fan at the time the home is built or have a blank installed for installation at a later point. In this situation I would rather see a blank plate than a keyless.
Well I can see both sides of this one.We regularly have a blank where additional fans lights maybe installed at home owners leisure.But in most cases there`s some source of lighting to meet code.Because they won`t pass off on blank cover say in kitchen.Sometimes we get by with the over sink light.I mean everyone knows a nice light will be installed but I guess is it installed properly and by whom could be the question
It is a very common practice around here to have a blank cover for the lighting outlet, even on a $800,000 house.

It's also common for $3,000 bicycles to come with no pedals. The manufactuerers know that the buyer's just going to take off whatever pedals are there, and put on the ones that he likes. It's the same thing with light fixtures in nice homes.
I have two areas that I try to get fixtures installed that are important to me, lights in bath or shower spaces and clothes closets. Reason: The code has some more restrictive interest in these fixtures. I just inspected a rather up scale home and the lower level had the lighting outlets capped up. I told the homeowner/builder that I can close out the electrical contractor's permit and note on the record that the fixtures are missing and the openings are capped up. This would require a new permit when the fixtures are installed, HA and double HA HA.
I probably will never see the fixtures installed. But, I've covered my dupa and the electrical contractor's as well. If someone installs a fixture with no permit or inspection, and there is a problem.-- Well I'm good on my end.

[This message has been edited by George Little (edited 11-01-2004).]
This would require a new permit when the fixtures are installed, HA and double HA HA.

Of course a permit will be pulled. [Linked Image]
A good subject. The 900K house, 28' entry foyer....fixture winch installed.....and a plastic keyless hanging there!

The master bath, recess all in place, and the 2 or 3 $2 builder special jelly jar wall brackets over the vanity.

That all goes very well with the plastic keyless in the dining room.

I can't write it up.....they are 'fixtures', and I'm the AHJ, not the Decorator.

John
The heck with final- I try to hang keyless fixtures ASAP- preferably before the walls are closed in- so I can troubleshoot my circuits. Saves a lot of grief later; the cost is cheap, and sometimes the light is actually usefull!
gfretwell ---

I think the code requires a working light.

Inspecting, designing, or installing I try to get along. I don't see this as being an important issue. I don't care one way or the other.

(Like John Steinke I think it is wise to test the lights as soon as possible. I put in cheap lights and switches prior to drywalling for testing. I remove them for the drywallers and put them back in as soon as that work is done. Workmen really like to see what they are doing.)

----

Too many of us think code compliance is a blood sport. In reality, a lot of it does not matter.

I expect at some point someone will ask: What is a "habitable" room? Answer: It is one with some attributes including a switchable light.

So for the most part having no switchable light is not a code violation. It simply makes a room not "habitable". There is no part of the code that requires all rooms to be "habitable".
I still have not seen anything in that section that requires a luminaire.

We used to wire a lot of condos these would be bid without luminaires, if at the end of the job the condo had been sold we would install the luminaires selected and paid for by the new owners.

The condos that where not sold at the end of the construction project would get blanks at the lighting outlets.

Too many of us think code compliance is a blood sport.

Not true at least for myself many times I am happy to go beyond the NEC.

That said I would like to see the NEC code section that requires luminaires.

Forget about what we think it should say, or what each of us wants it to say.

If I was failed for not installing a dinning room ceiling luminaire on the required lighting outlet I would fight it.

Bob
George, are you saying you would fail a final if there was a burned out bulb?

I just did last week, in Anaheim, CA.
Hey Guys,
The NEC is not the only building code we have to satisfy. As alluded to here several times, there is a building code that requires illumination in every room of the house.
The International Residential Code requires in section 303 that every habitable room be provided with windows or artifical lights. All interior and exterior stairs need artifical lights, and bathrooms need either a 3 square foot window or artifical light and an exhaust fan.
As far as the NEC is concerned, there is only a requirement for a "lighting outlet-" which could (and often is) a switched receptacle. I can't imagine the light will ever be there untill after the occupant has unpacked.
I asked around at the company my wife works for and they say they always spec a switched half hot or two, so it is not an issue with them but you are still going to be inspecting a dark room in many cases, unless you brought a lamp with you. You don't get much light from an outlet tester.
I did watch an electric final and basically all he did was trip all the AFCIs and GFCIs with his tester and make sure the ones he could find, reset on his way out the door. I assume the criteria is if he finds an outlet in a protected area that doesn't trip with the tester you fail. Since these are master plan houses with about a 1/2" stack of change orders it is virtually impossible to figure out what all the switches do from anything in the permit board.
For all you in CA, the answer would be yes, for certain luminaires in residential construction.
Our energy regulations require energy efficient illumination in certain areas of the house - kitchen, bathroom, and Outdoor entrances. there are some trade offs between the bath and the outdoor one.
I agree with Ryan's post, but will take it one step further.
For hallways and interior stairways of 6 or more risers, I require a lighting fixture of some kind, even if it is only a 'lamp holder' such as a keyless porcelain.

The reasoning that a 'fixture' is not required would also mean that receptacles in the 'receptacle outlet' (the box installed to receive the receptacle) would not be required at a final.
210.52. Dwelling Unit Receptacle Outlets. This section provides requirements for 125- volt, 15- an 20- amp receptacle outlets.

Pierre

[This message has been edited by PCBelarge (edited 11-03-2004).]
Article 100

Receptacle Outlet. An outlet where one or more receptacles are installed.

Dave
I agree with Ryan's post, but will take it one step further.
For hallways and interior stairways of 6 or more risers, I require a lighting fixture of some kind, even if it is only a 'lamp holder' such as a keyless porcelain.

Just what NEC section gives you the ability to require luminaires?

Dave55 pointed out the same thing I would, that the exception to 210.70(A) specifically requires a receptacle in the outlet. However 210.70(A) does not require a luminaire.

You can not enforce what is not written in the code. [Linked Image]

Please read 210.70(A) and the Article 100 definitions of Lighting outlet and receptacle outlet.

I think Earlydean has the answer, building codes may require illumination, but not the NEC.

Bob
By the way, I do think luminaires are a good idea. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

I am just interested in what the code requires. [Linked Image]

Bob
210-70(A)2(b) calls for illumination to be provided by a wall controlled lighting outlet. How could you do this with a blank cover? I agree the rest of the section could be just provisions for a light, but I think you would have to have a light up to satisfy providing illumination at the time of inspection in that particular situation.
We are really talking about 210.70(A)(1) and the word "illumination" does not appear. In fact all you need is a switched receptacle to meet the code.
BTW if it hasn't been made clear I am not in favor of the blank cover and do not think it meets the intent of the code but I'll be damned if I could find any way to write a violation if they put a receptacle in that cover.
In fact an unqualified person COULD get a light going in there without opening up the wiring with a swag lamp.
gretwell,from what I gather, you are talking about not putting lights up during a final inspection, and that it is not required. I have found a section I beleive requires a light to be in place at the time of inspection. So, tell me how you could provide ILLUMINATION without putting up a light. This is the only place the code specifys illumination.
How do you do an inspection and verify the circuits are working properly (which is required by code) without there being a fixture of some sort installed? If just the bulb is burned out, how do you know? I don't think the code requires the lights to be there, all at the same time I don't think you can say the system works properly and pass the inspection without the fixtures being installed.
Is an outlet just the box, or the box with the wires installed? If it's just a box, then the contractor doesn't need to have any wires pulled. (We use pipe in Chicago)

If you want to get real picky, could someone show me an outlet controlled by a switch? The switch controls, ultimately, the device or fixture or utilization equipment attached to the circuit, not the outlet itself.

How about 110-3(8), (99 NEC Sorry I don't have my 2002 book with me) to require them to install some kind of fixture.
How do you do an inspection and verify the circuits are working properly (which is required by code) without there being a fixture of some sort installed?

Lots of cities around where I live will not release the meter until the building is finalled. According to them, they are not quality control, but just to make sure it is installed according to code.
dmattox--What position are you taking?

Codes are a minimum quality.
I was just responding to the assertion that inspectors need to verify working installations. If the meter is not released until after final inspection then it is not practical for an inspector to test a working install (generators, or coming back after final, but then that wouldn't be a final).

I personally would be irritated if an inspector failed me for having a blank cover, but I understand the rational.
Lighting Outlet Required.

I feel if it's a required lighting outlet (except were receptacles are allowed) a luminaire is required for safty reasons. When a certificate of occupancy is issued the inspector is saying the building is complete and safe to occupy. I just don't see how you can sign off on a building that is unsafe in areas that are required to have illumination.
I wouldn't pass a job missing required lights (illumination) any more than I would if the A/C unit wasn't installed but the electric was there for it.
On a comercial job would you expect, maybe a final on a job where all the fixtures aren't installed, just enough of them to get by?
If their on the print then they will have to be installed. Required luminairs in homes are on the print, so install them.
210.52(A)(1) In every ... RECEPTACLE OUTLETS SHALL BE INSTALLED ....

210.70 ... LIGHTING OUTLETS SHALL BE INSTALLED ...

210.70(A)(1) exception No 1. In other than kitchens and bathrooms ...

(2)(a)&(c) Additional Locations

Article 100 - Receptacle outlet - An outlet where one or more receptacles are installed.

Even though there is no definition of 'lighting outlet', I believe the intent is similar as in receptacle outlet. Meaning the NEC expects some type of lighting luminaire/lampholder to be installed in the lighting outlet.

Since other locations in the NEC permit the installation of a switched receptacle outlet instead of a lighting outlet, I see that the kitchen, bathroom and stairway are required to have at least one luminaire/lampholder installed for the final inspection.

BTW: when one goes to the supply house, do they ask for a receptacle or receptacle outlet? [Linked Image]

Pierre
Does a range or dryer need to be installed before final, or just the receptacle outlet?

Does the A/C equipment need to be installed as mentioned earlier, or just the electrical R.I. to the disconnect?

Does our work per the 2002 NEC cover end user items or choices of items?

Roger
OK, I have to cast an opinion.
Yes, light fixtures are required for a "final"; stairways, hallways, kitchen, bath, attic (IF), basement (IF), garage (IF)and any other place a switched receptacle is not allowed.

Now.....if there are multiple lighting locations, and one fixture is installed, and the 'others' are blanked-off, that is OK.

For a final, power must be on, all items must be functional, appliances must be in place (oven, stove, DW, HVAC installed, etc.

And, lastly, NO, I would not write a red sticker for a bad bulb!

John
Pierre

Even though there is no definition of 'lighting outlet', I believe the intent is similar as in receptacle outlet. Meaning the NEC expects some type of lighting luminaire/lampholder to be installed in the lighting outlet.

Article 100
Lighting Outlet. An outlet intended for the direct connection of a lampholder, a luminaire (lighting fixture), or a pendant cord terminating in a lampholder.

Notice it states "intended", it does not state "equipped with"

The 2002 NEC use the word Luminaire over 250 times, why not here in 210.70?

I still do not see a place where the NEC requires illumination except for section 210-70(A)2(b) as Trekkie pointed out.

Bob
I still don't know how you know it is just a bad bulb. I wouldn't bet on it. I know contractors who will install a fixture, they haven't pulled the wires yet, and put a burned out looking bulb in the fixture to make it appear that the circuit is working and installed properly. I will check three ways and the light will go on at one switch, off at the second switch, but not back on at the third switch. Inspection Report--Improperly wired three way. How do I know this without a fixture being installed and working?

As far as fixtures being installed in areas where they are not required--they are still required to be wired properly, which means a working fixture would have to be in place to properly determine this.

Do inspectors check every receptacle at the final? They should. Contractors will install the receptacles without wiring them to give the appearance they are complete.

Once again, I believe the statement is correct that the NEC does not require the fixtures to be installed, but the inspector cannot assure code compliance without fixtures being installed. (Unless the inspector has the time to allow the electrician to put his meter on every circuit where the fixture is missing. I don't know of one who does.)
Steve what would you do if the design called for future circuits (intended to serve hard wired equipment) to be installed and capped off or landed in a disconnect.

Let's say the design says the equipment will be installed at an unknown later date.

This would be the same thing as the light fixtures being installed after the wiring has been signed off on.

Roger
I would inspect the branch circuits up to the point of the disconnect or cap off. I guess there is a fine line between lighting and equipment (a circuit is a circuit) but I could more readily be certain if there are a set of #10's in the panel and another set in the attic and the contractor says that these are the same wires being fed from the panel, that that is actually the case. Whereas, a contractor telling me all his lights and receptacles and switches are wired properly, I am less likely (through experience) to trust them. I could quickly verify compliance with one or two future circuits. A whole house full of lighting outlets? No way am I waiting for the contractor to put meter on the wires at every lighting outlet.

Now if the contractor installed empty outlets and said they are for future use, and they are not locations required by code and he didn't have wires pulled, I would let the blanks stay on.

If the code requirement wasn't for a wall switch-controlled lighting outlet, but just a lighting outlet, I might let the blanks go, but I am bound to assure the outlet is wall switch controlled. I can't do this without a working fixture being install.
My 2 cents worth,around here the poco will not hook up the power until the inspector completes his final,unless it is a 225 amp or larger service for a dwelling and then the contractor must get a service release
Also my 2 cents....

Around here (2 municipalities) we have a "Rough-In" Inspection and a "Final" Inspection. The POCO meter is not installed until after the "Final". The inspector does not have the opportunity to check an energized home and any grievances are between the GC and the EC; should any parts of the electrical system not be in working order. How does the inspector know that any light in the home is working, if any 3-way is functional or if all receptacles show correct wiring??? He doesn't....but this system works just fine and we haven't yet imploded!
Let's go a step further! [Linked Image]
How can you tell that the luminaire's properly grounded without taking it off to look at the connection or a using a meter? There's no way to tell with just a light bulb that lights up.
See, it's all relative. What one thinks is OK, another may consider absurd.

I will check three ways and the light will go on at one switch, off at the second switch, but not back on at the third switch. Inspection Report--Improperly wired three way. How do I know this without a fixture being installed and working?

Do you suppose that somebody that just bought a new home is going to let something like that just slide?...."Aah, we didn't need them to work, anyway. It's OK"
It will be fixed.

It could be a faulty switch properly wired.
It could be the 4 way switch and not one of the 3 ways. Diagnosis is not part of inspection. [Linked Image]
electure

See, it's all relative. What one thinks is OK, another may consider absurd.

I am learning that is true more and more, I now try to keep that in mind at all times.

Let's go a step further!
How can you tell that the luminaire's properly grounded without taking it off to look at the connection or a using a meter?

Darn good point, IMO the question of it being properly grounded is more important then if it lights the lamp.

I agree with Scott that the customers will let us know if equipment does not work.

Will they let us know if the equipment is properly grounded? I think not.

Bob
boy you guys have it rough.. here in upstate ny the meter gets set when you get your inspection for the service. who wants to build and wire a whole house with a generator?? that sucks..

[This message has been edited by makokiller (edited 12-18-2004).]
who wants to build and wire a whole house with a generator?? that sucks..
Didn't know it was any other way. Around here, its no final, no power, period, end of discussion. [Linked Image]
Didn't know it was any other way. Around here, its no final, no power, period, end of discussion.

You guys have it rough! I plant a temporary power pole on the lot prior to construction, it is inspected and the POCO sticks a meter in it so all trades have power.
They get power after the service rough here. The panel is usually in the garage so they will have one 20a breaker in it and the GFCI garage outlet installed. All the trades plug into that. It looks like the Chevy Chase Christmas movie with cube taps and extension cords
I plant a temporary power pole on the lot prior to construction,
We can use a temporary service (around here it is called a "saw service")for construction but building cannot be energized without final.
Here in western Pa. we get a temp sticker, the meter and power to the panel after the rough. Generally we will have one GFCI recept either in the garage or installed in the laundry circuit and we wire up the furnace. The final is just that, final. Every device, cover plate, screw etc. is to be installed, It is not unusual to have the inspector check every recpt, light, switch, GFCI and AFCI as well as the smokes in the house. Although thorough, I've had no problem with this process it doesn't take much more time than a walk through the house and it gives you a few minutes to get to know the inspector.

The builder I'm doing work for now provides ceiling fan rough ins as an option (the homeowner is responsible for the fans after the closing) and blank cover plates are not a problem and required provided that there is a switched recepticle in the room.

FRANK

[This message has been edited by FWW56 (edited 12-18-2004).]
Here you get power as soon as the service is inspected, OKed, and the power company gets to you.
I like having the power on for finals, to see if polaritys are right, checking GFCIs, AFCI circuiting, bath room circuits, smokes, carbonmonoxides,and kitcen counter circuits, among other things.
Do the inspectors go back after the power is on, or just hope these are right.

[This message has been edited by russ m (edited 12-19-2004).]
© ECN Electrical Forums