ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 504 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
It is a very common practice around here to have a blank cover for the lighting outlet, even on a $800,000 house.

It's also common for $3,000 bicycles to come with no pedals. The manufactuerers know that the buyer's just going to take off whatever pedals are there, and put on the ones that he likes. It's the same thing with light fixtures in nice homes.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
I have two areas that I try to get fixtures installed that are important to me, lights in bath or shower spaces and clothes closets. Reason: The code has some more restrictive interest in these fixtures. I just inspected a rather up scale home and the lower level had the lighting outlets capped up. I told the homeowner/builder that I can close out the electrical contractor's permit and note on the record that the fixtures are missing and the openings are capped up. This would require a new permit when the fixtures are installed, HA and double HA HA.
I probably will never see the fixtures installed. But, I've covered my dupa and the electrical contractor's as well. If someone installs a fixture with no permit or inspection, and there is a problem.-- Well I'm good on my end.

[This message has been edited by George Little (edited 11-01-2004).]

George Little
I
This would require a new permit when the fixtures are installed, HA and double HA HA.

Of course a permit will be pulled. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
A good subject. The 900K house, 28' entry foyer....fixture winch installed.....and a plastic keyless hanging there!

The master bath, recess all in place, and the 2 or 3 $2 builder special jelly jar wall brackets over the vanity.

That all goes very well with the plastic keyless in the dining room.

I can't write it up.....they are 'fixtures', and I'm the AHJ, not the Decorator.

John

John
J
The heck with final- I try to hang keyless fixtures ASAP- preferably before the walls are closed in- so I can troubleshoot my circuits. Saves a lot of grief later; the cost is cheap, and sometimes the light is actually usefull!

G
gfretwell ---

I think the code requires a working light.

Inspecting, designing, or installing I try to get along. I don't see this as being an important issue. I don't care one way or the other.

(Like John Steinke I think it is wise to test the lights as soon as possible. I put in cheap lights and switches prior to drywalling for testing. I remove them for the drywallers and put them back in as soon as that work is done. Workmen really like to see what they are doing.)

----

Too many of us think code compliance is a blood sport. In reality, a lot of it does not matter.

I expect at some point someone will ask: What is a "habitable" room? Answer: It is one with some attributes including a switchable light.

So for the most part having no switchable light is not a code violation. It simply makes a room not "habitable". There is no part of the code that requires all rooms to be "habitable".

I
I still have not seen anything in that section that requires a luminaire.

We used to wire a lot of condos these would be bid without luminaires, if at the end of the job the condo had been sold we would install the luminaires selected and paid for by the new owners.

The condos that where not sold at the end of the construction project would get blanks at the lighting outlets.

Too many of us think code compliance is a blood sport.

Not true at least for myself many times I am happy to go beyond the NEC.

That said I would like to see the NEC code section that requires luminaires.

Forget about what we think it should say, or what each of us wants it to say.

If I was failed for not installing a dinning room ceiling luminaire on the required lighting outlet I would fight it.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
George, are you saying you would fail a final if there was a burned out bulb?

I just did last week, in Anaheim, CA.

E
Hey Guys,
The NEC is not the only building code we have to satisfy. As alluded to here several times, there is a building code that requires illumination in every room of the house.
The International Residential Code requires in section 303 that every habitable room be provided with windows or artifical lights. All interior and exterior stairs need artifical lights, and bathrooms need either a 3 square foot window or artifical light and an exhaust fan.

Earl
J
As far as the NEC is concerned, there is only a requirement for a "lighting outlet-" which could (and often is) a switched receptacle. I can't imagine the light will ever be there untill after the occupant has unpacked.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard