ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 506 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#9005 04/19/02 10:43 AM
A
aldav53 Offline OP
I didn't get the job, they went with a lower bid. I know they bid homes tight, not a lot of profit built in, but that makes you wonder about the quality.

The Golden Rule - "The man with the gold makes the rule"
#9006 04/19/02 05:04 PM
D
Absolutely. I do residential wiring by myself as a second job. Lots of repairs and relatively small jobs. I've been in some very large, expensive houses and was surprised to see very shoddy work.
I do not mean to imply all new work is like that. The folks on this forum all sound top-notch and I would love to spend some time on one of arseegee's crews learning the business.
donles

#9007 04/19/02 07:16 PM
M
arseegee, I'm curious about where you are from and what the labor pool is like there. I'm assuming that you are not a union contractor. I'm not either.
I have a reputation about being very particular about the quality of work that we turn out. But, its difficult to find quality help where I'm from. (60 miles south of Pittsburgh, Pa)

#9008 04/19/02 07:54 PM
A
Master66. I am in GA near the coast, and we are non union. I guess I am fortunate to have a good work force although it is not easy. I always bonus my men for a job well done. I have had a couple of my lead men for several years and all my employess are under 28. The two helpers came from commercial companies and love the ease and speed of residential. I just lost a good man who moved and did my best to keep him. On his departure I shook his hand, said thanks and gave him a big farewell bonus. That type of thing gets around in the work force. If he ever moves back he'll work for me again. I too am notorious for being an stickler about the smallest detail... from roughin to trim out.

[This message has been edited by arseegee (edited 04-19-2002).]

#9009 04/19/02 09:36 PM
F
I am probably a fool, but I bid my residential new constructions jobs at $1000.00 for 200A service (underground with out disconnect) and electrical openings @$30.00 each. Phone and CATV are $25.00 each. Elect.range @ $50.00, elect dryer/waterheater @ $40.00.
I also let my customers know that they are getting 40ct. copper buss panels, commercial grade 15A receptacles that backwire with pressure plates and no smaller conductor than 12 ga. They get circuits with no more than 8 duplex receptacles on them and (3) small appliance circuits serving the counter tops in addition to dedicated circuits for the fridge, microwave and dw/disp. I tell them up front that they will get what they pay for and the electrical system is an investment. If they choose to cut corners on the electric they will pay for it down the road.I stay busier than I want to be.

#9010 04/19/02 10:04 PM
I've been on the commercial, manufacturing, industrial scene for my entire career, but it seems like I always have people asking me about houses. My company doesn't do them ($20.00 to $22.00 per hr for a Journeyman), but I've done a few on the side. I would be willing to pay for a home video of a "jam up" residential crew "getting after it". More importantly to me, would be to know the secrets to speed in residential.
As I'm sure that you all know, resi, commercial, industrial, etc, are all very different, and I'm always interested in learning more.

Resilogical Regards,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
#9011 04/19/02 11:21 PM
A
Doc, preperation is the key. I try my best to have everything for the job on the trucks before my men roll out, EVERYTHING! I make sure that I personally lay out each job by hand and label the circuits on the studs. Since I have calculated loads the guys are basically wiring by numbers... HRA1 to A2 and so on. I even write the wire destination inside the larger switch boxes so all you have to do is look and say "hey I need a switch leg there for the kitchen cans". We use the same type wire, boxes, panels, devices, service equipment, connectors and even hardware over and over again. We use two double wire spools loaded with 12/2 and another 1000ft reel at the panel. This allows us to pull five homeruns at once. Each spool is labeled so we can keep track of the circuits. Even all our tool bags are loaded with the same tools. We use story poles to mark heights. 1x6 ripped with a 46" top, a 16" notch, a handle, painted orange so in doesnt disappear in the lumber. Had em for years. My old boss asked me if I still had my old story pole, I said yes, he said they lose two a job. We use blue THHN for switch make up to identify the hot taps. It's cheaper than wasting 12/2 and cuts down on miswired switches. Well thats just a few of my secrets. I wish I could tell you more but the enemy may be watching.

#9012 04/20/02 12:07 AM
arseegee,
Thanks for the info, and I understand about the enemy.

Standing the Midnight Post,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
#9013 04/20/02 11:42 AM
G
Master66,

Welcome to the board!

We are in a situation similar to yours. In the last five years we have gone from 50/50, residential/commercial to 5/95. The only residential we do anymore is custom homes where a personal contact is involved.

The competition can sell residential jobs for less than our cost. There is more profit in commercial/industrial so that is the route we have taken.

It sounds like Arseegee has a very good system. In our rural market, residential construction is filled with small one or two man outfits who sqeeze us out on price.

FWIW,
GJ

#9014 04/20/02 11:47 AM
G
Arseegee said;
"All work is to my uniform standard. Any of my guys can make up a 4 gang box w/ one s.p., two three ways and a four way and I can't tell which guy it was. That way who ever comes back to trim out knows exactly what's going on."

Amen brother, Amen

GJ

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard