ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 561 guests, and 37 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#89286 09/08/04 09:17 PM
E
e57 Offline
We tried to define kitchen, lets try to define "cooking". My personal Proffessional trained Chef, says warming, and general preparation may still cooking! Depending on how the Health Dept. will look at it, it's an area for food preparation, reguardless if you're cooking bread, or warming up a can of Spagetti O's. That line may be drawn by them. So, I maybe would check with them. Also, what's to stop them from crossing over to what most would consider cooking after you left? Sounds like they may be trying to dodge other issues.

Section 210.8(B)(3) is new for the 2002 Code and requires all 15- and 20-ampere, 125-volt receptacles in nondwelling-type kitchens to be GFCI protected. This requirement applies to each and every 15- and 20-ampere, 125-volt kitchen receptacle, whether or not the receptacle serves countertop appliances.
Accident data related to electrical incidents in nondwelling kitchens reveal the presence of many hazards, including poorly maintained electrical apparatus, damaged electrical cords, wet floors, and employees without proper electrical safety training. Mandating some limited form of GFCI protection for high-hazard areas such as nondwelling kitchens should help prevent electrical accidents.

Seeing that most cord connected hot, and cold boxes I see in most commercial kitches are in abused shape, I would GFI them. Wouldn't hurt if you did, might if you don't.

Also, if cord connected frequently handled by personnel, maybe OSHA would require GFI.

Oh, the expression is "When PIGS fly"

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#89287 09/08/04 09:58 PM
G
You guys may convince me to ask for GFCI protection on the receptacles in the "Warming Kitchen" because the print does call it a kitchen albiet a warming kitchen. No exceptions for anything. But you guys are wrong about the pigs flying. I watched Mel's Diner years ago when Flo, Vera and Alice were the waitresses and Flo always used to say something would happen "When donkeys fly" Come on some of you ole timers back me up on this.

George Little
#89288 09/08/04 10:19 PM
George,

In my opinion, if the prints call it a Kitchen I think you should treat it as such.

Bill

BTW, both Pigs and Donkeys fly depending on the source. [Linked Image]

Bill
#89289 09/08/04 10:50 PM
S

Steve
#89290 09/09/04 02:13 AM
E
e57 Offline
George, be nice to the contractor and word the requirement in some way that allows him/her to re-coup the change if he needs to/should do it.... The point cost would go up a bit. I have never been a fan of the GFI, like some have. But, the the next time you're there, hug a big warming box, and imagine it with a hot ground. And, also imagine everyone a different phase. It's the only reason I suggest it.

But "pigs", just rings better.
As a sentance, 3 sylables work better as a reply. (From one person to another)

With "donkeys" it messes up the rythem, and begs for a relpy to it, or as a reply to another verse, or stance.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#89291 09/09/04 01:54 PM
G
Ya, I'll be gentle with him on the GFCI thing and Thanks Steve for the verification on the donkeys thingee.

George Little
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard