ECN Forum
Posted By: George Little Kitchen Receptacles - 09/08/04 07:47 PM
I am inspecting a commercial "Kitchen". The plans call it a "Warming Kitchen" There is no cooking performed in this room. Food is cooked off site and brought to this "Warming Kitchen" and stored in stainless steel cabinets that are the size of refrigerators. These cabinets (about 15 of them) are on wheels and have cords that plug in for warming or cooling. The room is about 50 feet square or for you metric guys 15m square. The question of the day is- Do I need to ask the contractor to comply with 210.8(B)?
Posted By: DougW Re: Kitchen Receptacles - 09/08/04 08:56 PM
Any dishwashers / scrub sinks?
Posted By: George Re: Kitchen Receptacles - 09/08/04 09:37 PM
(5.5 sq meters)
Posted By: trekkie76 Re: Kitchen Receptacles - 09/08/04 10:01 PM
I don't see a definition for a kitchen, but if your calling it a kitchen, I would say yes to 210-8(b).
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Kitchen Receptacles - 09/08/04 10:35 PM
From what I have read, the 2005 will define kitchen as "an area with a sink and permanant provisions for cooking".

I would base my decision off af that.
Posted By: trekkie76 Re: Kitchen Receptacles - 09/08/04 10:46 PM
how can you base an inspection on a definition that hasen't been published yet? The inspection has to be based on the code being enforced at the time of inspection. Unless the EC wants to wait until 2005.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Kitchen Receptacles - 09/08/04 11:04 PM
IMHO....
It seems to me that any place the code requires GFCI protection is a place where there is a likely opportunity that there is a chance to come in contact with only the hot conductor and another grounded surface as in metal water pipe, damp earth, concrete etc. If the likelyhood is not there I do not see a reason for the GFCI protection. So if this room has water proofed walls and wall covering with water proof floors and a floor drain and they intend to clean it with a hose..... Well, your the inspector! Please post back on your decision.
Posted By: George Little Re: Kitchen Receptacles - 09/08/04 11:43 PM
Okay, I've heard from the masses and I have decided that based on the definition of a kitchen as found in Websters "n : a room equipped for preparing meals" That this is not a kitchen. So based on the '02 Code, they don't need GFCI protection on the receptacles. This area as I discribed in my orginal post is only used to store food and maintain temperature of food either hot or cold.
Posted By: SolarPowered Re: Kitchen Receptacles - 09/08/04 11:46 PM
There is no cooking performed in this room.

Yeah. Right. When pigs fly.

Sounds to me like it's a kitchen.
Posted By: George Little Re: Kitchen Receptacles - 09/09/04 12:44 AM
The expression is "When donkeys fly"
Posted By: e57 Re: Kitchen Receptacles - 09/09/04 01:17 AM
We tried to define kitchen, lets try to define "cooking". My personal Proffessional trained Chef, says warming, and general preparation may still cooking! Depending on how the Health Dept. will look at it, it's an area for food preparation, reguardless if you're cooking bread, or warming up a can of Spagetti O's. That line may be drawn by them. So, I maybe would check with them. Also, what's to stop them from crossing over to what most would consider cooking after you left? Sounds like they may be trying to dodge other issues.

Section 210.8(B)(3) is new for the 2002 Code and requires all 15- and 20-ampere, 125-volt receptacles in nondwelling-type kitchens to be GFCI protected. This requirement applies to each and every 15- and 20-ampere, 125-volt kitchen receptacle, whether or not the receptacle serves countertop appliances.
Accident data related to electrical incidents in nondwelling kitchens reveal the presence of many hazards, including poorly maintained electrical apparatus, damaged electrical cords, wet floors, and employees without proper electrical safety training. Mandating some limited form of GFCI protection for high-hazard areas such as nondwelling kitchens should help prevent electrical accidents.

Seeing that most cord connected hot, and cold boxes I see in most commercial kitches are in abused shape, I would GFI them. Wouldn't hurt if you did, might if you don't.

Also, if cord connected frequently handled by personnel, maybe OSHA would require GFI.

Oh, the expression is "When PIGS fly"
Posted By: George Little Re: Kitchen Receptacles - 09/09/04 01:58 AM
You guys may convince me to ask for GFCI protection on the receptacles in the "Warming Kitchen" because the print does call it a kitchen albiet a warming kitchen. No exceptions for anything. But you guys are wrong about the pigs flying. I watched Mel's Diner years ago when Flo, Vera and Alice were the waitresses and Flo always used to say something would happen "When donkeys fly" Come on some of you ole timers back me up on this.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Kitchen Receptacles - 09/09/04 02:19 AM
George,

In my opinion, if the prints call it a Kitchen I think you should treat it as such.

Bill

BTW, both Pigs and Donkeys fly depending on the source. [Linked Image]
Posted By: stamcon Re: Kitchen Receptacles - 09/09/04 02:50 AM
http://www.goenglish.com/WhenPigsFly.asp
http://www.televisionheaven.co.uk/alice.htm

steve
Posted By: e57 Re: Kitchen Receptacles - 09/09/04 06:13 AM
George, be nice to the contractor and word the requirement in some way that allows him/her to re-coup the change if he needs to/should do it.... The point cost would go up a bit. I have never been a fan of the GFI, like some have. But, the the next time you're there, hug a big warming box, and imagine it with a hot ground. And, also imagine everyone a different phase. It's the only reason I suggest it.

But "pigs", just rings better.
As a sentance, 3 sylables work better as a reply. (From one person to another)

With "donkeys" it messes up the rythem, and begs for a relpy to it, or as a reply to another verse, or stance.
Posted By: George Little Re: Kitchen Receptacles - 09/09/04 05:54 PM
Ya, I'll be gentle with him on the GFCI thing and Thanks Steve for the verification on the donkeys thingee.
© ECN Electrical Forums