ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 524 guests, and 26 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
A job that I mentioned in an earlier post that We got lowballed on,the guy jumped out of the closest recep (12-2) with 14-2 to the light switches and proceeded with 14-2 to the light(s).All the light feeds were tapped like this,with 20a breakers. A 400a service was built with 4/0 al. se cable going 40 ft. inside the house with no discos to 2 200a mb panels.No connectors for entrance cable at the panels,just a pvc ta.In the basement,all the romex was stapled to the bottom of the joists,and run in spiderweb fasion to wherever. We lost the electrical by $600.00.As sparky said welcome to the world of the rural romex jockey. Oh,this guy holds a non-restricted Ga.license (Grandfathered in in 1982). Russell

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
I guess we can look at service calls as the bright side here eh Russell?

ga.sparky56, yes, as in your area, this is pretty much normal, even for some of the EC's. I have, as an advertisment gimmick to set me apart from the rest, the follwoing on my business cards and the signs on my truck:

100% NEC Compliant Electrical Work

If any of them gain enough knowledge to actually argue that claim, then I have achieved my goal.

HotLine1, doing pretty well, John, thanks for asking... My free time has been used for learning IFR in Multiplayer Flight Sims. Loads of fun, and great challenge.
Nope, no rules or regs at all except for the service end of things...

walrus, I wish to deeply apologize, even though I stand by my opinion, my delivery needs lots of work and I'm sorry my diplomacy went out the window. I should thank Bill for not banning me! You are right in that I should ask for permission, but that takes all the fun out of it, and I'm sure the answer would be no. I have learned that in some situations, it is better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission. However, I am sorry, and I was wrong.

Sven, the truck's motor is in great shape, what it needs is a new truck around it... [Linked Image]

If WV actually had emmissions tests, I think it would pass... however, the WVDOT has Motor Vehicle Inspections, which includes the condition of the body, tires, windshield, lights, etc. The body alone would total it. It truly is unsafe for the road. So much so, I've borrowed an F-150 from a friend of mine to keep me going until I can buy a truck, hopefully next month sometime. Boy, what a sweet truck, and gets about the same mileage as my Nissan!

Mamills, the bank job stopped at a few temp recepts for construction and that was it... I don't think the owner is in much of a hurry.

iwire and Don, how would one correctly wire this with 2 12-2 travellers? [Linked Image]

Everyone, thanks for the comments.

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
G
Yup sparky! Service calls. "You said how much just to show up?" I'm leaning toward specializing in remodels, and digging with my trusty little Takeuchi,it seems to have paid most of the bills the last 2 months. Virgil, thats a good idea on the advertising.Maybe I'll enlighten some on the existence of the NEC. Russell

F
sparky66vw ; yeah i can see what you mean about it and i ran the same situation and what most peoples do concat me with spread the word after see my workmanship as far for my truck i have the same one for over 10 years (1989 F-250 4X4 diesel with over 560,000 miles with orgineal engine ) i just done chating with my freind ( he is a electrican also ) and he fill me in about 2 wire travlier and it is the excat way you desribe it on the photo and most sparky in my area try to advoid 2 wires trallver now .

also when i genrally get done with my work i try to take the photo with me with before and after job is done so i can show how much progess it is done

merci marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

Interesting development:

Seems he is anxious about passing the service inspection, and our conversation went from asking-of-advice to giving-me-his-future-work... Guess he just wants to avoid the headaches... Jimmy and I fixed his Service so it'll pass code and he wants me to trim the house out too (hoo boy [Linked Image] )...

It's T&M, what the heck... and he's been giving me all of his electrical supplies saying "won't be needin' these anymore"
so I think this is more than just carrot dangling.

I guess some stories do have happy endings.

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 03-18-2003).]

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
G
I'm tickled for you Virgil. Glad somebody's forecast is looking up. Need any cheap help? [Linked Image]

Sounds something like "good things come to those who ....."
Virgil, I'm glad that things are lookin up for ya......
It's got to get better.....every day is a new experience.

Take care my friend...
John

John
E
Vigil. I will be devils advocate here. From your posts in the past I would have thought you'd learned not to take over someone else's disaster. I hope this one goes better.

Well, long story, but it's about the only work I got right now...

[Linked Image]

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard