ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 409 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
These crimps were used a lot during the '50s and '60s in residential applications.
The bummer is that the conductors were often cut off very short, so they're an absolute nightmare to work on (cut crimp connector).
They're also a PT70 or PT70M Sta-kon by T&B.

Wire nuts? I use Oranges, the Ideal tan "Twister" (end fits in nut driver) instead of the yellows now, Reds, lg.Greys, and lg.Blues. Anything larger gets an insulated multi-tap connector (Ilsco, NSI, etc)

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 02-07-2003).]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

H
Has anyone try or used those new style of wirenuts? The ones where you can install 3 or 4 wires and there is no twisting. You just strip your wires, insert the wires into a square orange colored connector and it works like the pin back on a receptacle. I don't remember the name of them. I do know that they would send out free samples. I have seen them but not used them. I can go look into one of my magazines to get the name of it.

T
Harold,
Is it these made by Wago?
[Linked Image from pages.sbcglobal.net]

Has anyone seen these or found a use for them?They are made by Ideal.I prefer a crimper myself.

[This message has been edited by txsparky (edited 02-08-2003).]

Donnie
G
txsparky, I have seen similar ones made by ideal, but have not had the nerve to try them.

I have no faith in the Wagos for anything beyond a fluorescent ballast replacement or similar very low load.
I just tore one apart that was sitting on my desk.
There is only about 3/16" of contact surface on just one side of the conductor, and the other side is held in by spring pressure in the same manner as a "back-stab-in" receptacle.
The contact surface is apparently aluminum, and the spring seems to be stainless steel.
Maybe it's just me, but I don't feel this is a sufficient connection.

H
Yeah, That is them.

I have seen some union workers here in NJ use the Wago's because it was quicker and it was easier on their hands. I have only seen them on one job as of yet. I myseld have recieved the freee samples, but I am out of the business and was just wondering about them.

F
the wires nuts i use are orange yellow red green (or bare crimp) grey and ex. large bleu wirenuts all expect orange are wing type and i do pre twist it then put it on by hand or use nut driver on the top of them (5/16 or 3/8 depend on which nuts to use ) and put the nuts upright way prevent get wet inside or any other damage stuff get in i use the tape ???? not too often very few places i use that mainaly outdoor light fixures where it subject alot of viberation then i go with crimp type. it is very simauar with europen practices too ( i use french wireing techines with nec codes but allready converted to americanie wireing standards it is more easier than france but i am not sure about uk or other places )

merci marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

M
I was kind of skeptical of the Wago wirenuts until I found wire nuts sitting in the bottom of one of my machine cabinets. The wirenut had vibrated loose and fell off. I use Wago terminal blocks all the time in machine controllers because they are very vibration resistant. I have been using the Wago wirenuts for a few years now and no problems at all.
The electrical contact bar is tin plated copper and the steel pressure plate is made of high tension spring steel. It cleans oxidation off the wire and places a considerable amount more pressure than any backstab with a brass pressure plate. They are also UL listed for use with al/al or al/cu with Wago Noalox.
I have also been using them in my own home for a couple of years with no callbacks from the wife and the inspectors have no problem with them.
I feel like a salesman but they are easier than wirenuts with solid wire and stranded (with a little practice) and my wrist doesnt hurt at the end of the day. I tested them for insulation and contact resistance and they scored better than the Ideal wirenuts on their insulation resistance and had comperable values for contact resistance.

Mike Wescoatt
C
When I got started in this trade the rule of thumb taught to me was yellow "wingnuts" was for 3 #12s and reds were for 5 #12s. Any combo that was close to that size.Mini's were for fl. lites ballast change out or in some fix it shop repairing old lamps.......
As for stab in splices it is about the same as backstabbing a recept. Its no good to get in that big of a hurry, never time to do it rite but time to come back and do it over.
Twisting wires that are the same guage is good but not twisting smaller guages to larger ones, the wirenut will do that for you---better.
Anyway I'm not doing that any more so no advice.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard