ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 524 guests, and 23 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#77782 07/24/01 05:31 PM
We've got Underground Service Alert (USA) out here in SoCA You don't dare stick a shovel in the ground without calling (+48 hrs.) Big Ol' Fine if you don't. It's well worth your while, anyway. A goof can really wreck your day, year, life. (Unless you strike oil or a vein of gold).
If the support's there, really, for your kid's sake use it.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#77783 07/24/01 09:12 PM
R
Originally posted by Dspark:
[b] I use the PA one-call system, when required,
What do you mean "when required"?
If you are disturbing the earth, which by law (Act 287 includes drilling, driving-in, scraping, and trenching), then by law you are required to place the notification at least three working days in advance.

Is your view that your equipment is not "powered"? Does an 8' steel rod being driven by a sledge hammer fall into the exemption for excavation with hand tools? Perhaps it's a grey area. I hope it is exempt; but I treat it like it is required unless I am sure of the facilities myself, such as a recently expired marking.

When I call in I just say I'm driving grounding electrodes to a depth of 100". No one has ever argued with me that I don't need to place a dig notification for that. (Are you just using hand tools for that, sir?)

It costs nothing to have facilities marked. It could cost a lot if you damage something when you could have called instead.

Anyone who is worried about hitting something knows he should have made the telephone call.[/B]

I have no problem using One Call for a ground rod. I would think, however, that it may burden the system if every time someone drove a ground rod, One Call got involved. Maybe I'm wrong. I will call them to get their take on it. But, last time I called, which was to dig a trench for 120 volt landscape lighting, they DID ask if I was using "powered" equipment. (I was).

#77784 07/24/01 09:14 PM
R
If you are disturbing the earth, which by law (Act 287 includes drilling, driving-in, scraping, and trenching), then by law you are required to place the notification at least three working days in advance.

Is your view that your equipment is not "powered"? Does an 8' steel rod being driven by a sledge hammer fall into the exemption for excavation with hand tools? Perhaps it's a grey area. I hope it is exempt; but I treat it like it is required unless I am sure of the facilities myself, such as a recently expired marking.

When I call in I just say I'm driving grounding electrodes to a depth of 100". No one has ever argued with me that I don't need to place a dig notification for that. (Are you just using hand tools for that, sir?)

It costs nothing to have facilities marked. It could cost a lot if you damage something when you could have called instead.

Anyone who is worried about hitting something knows he should have made the telephone call.[/B]

I have no problem using One Call for a ground rod. I would think, however, that it may burden the system if every time someone drove a ground rod, One Call got involved. Maybe I'm wrong. I will call them to get their take on it. But, last time I called, which was to dig a trench for 120 volt landscape lighting, they DID ask if I was using "powered" equipment. (I was).

#77785 07/24/01 09:28 PM
R

The last time I used One Call, which was for a trench for 120 volt landscape lighting, they DID ask if I would be using powered equipment. It seems that using One Call for driving grounds might burden the system. (I understand the safety aspects). I will call them to see what they say. If it's O.K with them, it's O.K.with me.

#77786 07/24/01 10:01 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Here's my definition of powered: having sufficient force to damage unseen facilities.

A sledge hammer on a ground rod is very much a power tool because when we get resistance, we strike harder.

Yes, a dig notification burdens the system. But I think it is what we are supposed to do when we aren't certain where the facilities are. I'm not hand digging a 8' test holes to make sure it is clear to drive my ground rod there. We aren't supposed to guess.

#77787 07/25/01 12:19 AM
Dspark...

I've got a service this week tying into a pad-mount Xformer, UG... The PoCo is supposed to mark the line... Think I'll call Miss Utility tomorrow just to make sure..

You've convinced me...

I can't think of anything worse than hitting a 4160V line with a G-rod!

[Linked Image] YIKES!

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#77788 07/25/01 01:55 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
In your case, the tolerance zone is over 8'.

Your rod will follow the already disturbed earth if it can find it. So whereever they mark, start 8' away and angle away from the cable.

[Linked Image]

#77789 07/25/01 06:53 AM
R
Originally posted by sparky66wv:
Dspark...

I can't think of anything worse than hitting a 4160V line with a G-rod!

[Linked Image] YIKES!

How about 4161?!

#77790 07/25/01 07:04 AM
OK, OK yeah, and 4162... so on, etc, and other things... ad infinitum...

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#77791 10/18/01 09:33 PM
F
try a coke bottle to drive ground rods! what do i mean? i have found that adding water to the hole will help a ground rod go in...if you hit hard pan...MOVE THE ROD!

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard