ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 565 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
Thinkgood
read your link, very interesting. I work with Oil Companies everyday and I can assure that my customers do not believe that the problems involved are urban legend. Shell was the company that I was thinking of when I first posted as I have seen that memo. But I've also seen warning material from another Major Oil company.
Now, whther it is true of false I have no idea but the Oil Companies I work for take this threat seriously.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

C
C-H Offline
It would take a lot to make a gas station explode. Explosions are typically restricted to the Hollywood area [Linked Image] Gas - not gasoline - is used for explosions and fires on movie.

The exploding cars seen on TV has caused fear among people of approaching burning vechicles to assist those in need. In reality, burning cars rarely explode.

I
There have been two recent incidents caught on tape here in the US of fires at the pumps where people have been injured.

Not explosions in the "Hollywood" sense but large fires still.

Gasoline is a very common way Hollywood makes the large mushroom cloud type fireballs, they put the gas in plastic bags and set it off.

But I agree "normal" cars do not explode as shown on TV or Film

The other kind of gas Natural or Bottled is used for continuous looking fires like fire coming out the windows of a building.

The hours of watching the Discovery channel have now paid off.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
T
AWWW Man ! I thought that was Trainwire with his torch in those windows. [Linked Image]

P.S. couldn't find the picture of it

[This message has been edited by txsparky (edited 03-13-2003).]

Donnie
C
C-H Offline
iwire:
Yup, gasoline (and diesel if hot enough) burns like h**l. I know of one incident where a car caught fire at the pumps. It got so hot that the aluminium caught fire...

txsparky:
Trainwire's oversize torch sure looks like something out of Hollywood.

S
In Korea they use propane. I am not sure what for. Howwever I have seen a video of a propane filling staion go up. They had about 100 bottles of propane, like the ones on a forklift. It was amazing to watch all those bottles explode, and the 500 gallon tank and then the propane truck. Blew up a whole block. [Linked Image]

Scott

I
I saw the video of that too Scotts it was amazing, better then Hollywood and if I remember there where no deaths luckily

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
S
Going back to the fires at gas stations, you have to admit that the scene in the movie Zoolander is one of the funniest things that I have ever seen.
Scott

B
Slightly OT, but while I am no expert whatsoever—from past hazmat training, a very serious situation firefighters may sometimes face is a BLEVE. Search google, or read pages like: http://www.nfpa.org/Research/FireInvestigation/AlertBulletins/BLEVE/bleve.asp

T
txsparky: Is this the picture?

[Linked Image from 65.108.216.53]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard