ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Re: Explosionproof Cell Phones and Pagers? - 03/29/01 08:04 PM
From the Mailbag:

Hello,

Do you know if there is a requirement for explosion proof cell phones and pagers. I am concerned about employees working in a Class 1, Division 1 atmosphere. Employees working in a hazardous location are required to carry either a cell phone or pager for health reasons. Thank you for your attention to this.

JPeckham@nerac.com (Jack Peckham)

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 03-29-2001).]
Pagers and portable radios are available in "intrinsically safe" versions which can be used in Class 1 Div 1 areas. I'm not sure about cell phones.
Don(resqcapt19)
" reach out and torch someone"..????
ROTFLMAO!
I found this post while searching for information on cell phone use around car fuel dispensers. Anyone have any more info about this? I have heard that it (cell phone use) could cause a fire while filling, like that horror story about using a plastic container laying in the back of a pickup. Any links to the true stories here?

Thanks, Rick Miell
Posted By: Tom Re: Re: Explosionproof Cell Phones and Pagers? - 03/11/03 10:41 PM
You might try contactacting Mine Safety & Health Administration and see if they know of a "permissible" pager & cell phone. Permissible is their wy of saying it won't ignite a methane/air mixture.
http://www.msha.gov/
Oil companies are extremely concerned about cell phone use and gas pumps. I forget which company but a major oil company has had several deaths that I know of attributed to cell phones ringing. If you notice your surrondings while fueling up, you'll notice a decal telling you to shut off cell phone before fueling.
Haven't heard of a pager problem.

[This message has been edited by walrus (edited 03-12-2003).]
Boy, can you imagine how big a Class I, DivI, cellphone would be??
And, having to figure out a way to "open it up" to place a call??

I just had to add some sick humor to this thread.

Seriously, the majority of the chemical plants that I have to go to for inspections, require that you leave phones, pagers & radios at the point of entry.

John
Trying to picture how a pager would help in an emergency...

"Bang once on the big steel pipe if your OK, twice if you are hurt..." er, something like that.
The question from Rick Miell can be answered by http://www.pei.org/static/

As to the original question, posted in 2001, I'm not sure [Linked Image]

P. S. Re: cellphones at the gas station, visit http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/gasvapor.asp
Thinkgood
read your link, very interesting. I work with Oil Companies everyday and I can assure that my customers do not believe that the problems involved are urban legend. Shell was the company that I was thinking of when I first posted as I have seen that memo. But I've also seen warning material from another Major Oil company.
Now, whther it is true of false I have no idea but the Oil Companies I work for take this threat seriously.
Posted By: C-H Re: Re: Explosionproof Cell Phones and Pagers? - 03/13/03 01:14 PM
It would take a lot to make a gas station explode. Explosions are typically restricted to the Hollywood area [Linked Image] Gas - not gasoline - is used for explosions and fires on movie.

The exploding cars seen on TV has caused fear among people of approaching burning vechicles to assist those in need. In reality, burning cars rarely explode.
Posted By: iwire Re: Re: Explosionproof Cell Phones and Pagers? - 03/13/03 01:33 PM
There have been two recent incidents caught on tape here in the US of fires at the pumps where people have been injured.

Not explosions in the "Hollywood" sense but large fires still.

Gasoline is a very common way Hollywood makes the large mushroom cloud type fireballs, they put the gas in plastic bags and set it off.

But I agree "normal" cars do not explode as shown on TV or Film

The other kind of gas Natural or Bottled is used for continuous looking fires like fire coming out the windows of a building.

The hours of watching the Discovery channel have now paid off.
AWWW Man ! I thought that was Trainwire with his torch in those windows. [Linked Image]

P.S. couldn't find the picture of it

[This message has been edited by txsparky (edited 03-13-2003).]
Posted By: C-H Re: Re: Explosionproof Cell Phones and Pagers? - 03/13/03 02:56 PM
iwire:
Yup, gasoline (and diesel if hot enough) burns like h**l. I know of one incident where a car caught fire at the pumps. It got so hot that the aluminium caught fire...

txsparky:
Trainwire's oversize torch sure looks like something out of Hollywood.
In Korea they use propane. I am not sure what for. Howwever I have seen a video of a propane filling staion go up. They had about 100 bottles of propane, like the ones on a forklift. It was amazing to watch all those bottles explode, and the 500 gallon tank and then the propane truck. Blew up a whole block. [Linked Image]

Scott
Posted By: iwire Re: Re: Explosionproof Cell Phones and Pagers? - 03/13/03 03:43 PM
I saw the video of that too Scotts it was amazing, better then Hollywood and if I remember there where no deaths luckily
Going back to the fires at gas stations, you have to admit that the scene in the movie Zoolander is one of the funniest things that I have ever seen.
Scott
Slightly OT, but while I am no expert whatsoever—from past hazmat training, a very serious situation firefighters may sometimes face is a BLEVE. Search google, or read pages like: http://www.nfpa.org/Research/FireInvestigation/AlertBulletins/BLEVE/bleve.asp
txsparky: Is this the picture?

[Linked Image from 65.108.216.53]
I think it may have been this one. [It's linked to the E-C.net site.]

[Linked Image]

Under the very appropriate topic: sparky discovers fire.... at https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001788.html

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 03-14-2003).]
Bjarney,
Thats the one I was thinking of! [Linked Image]

Thinkgood,
Is that a picture of Joe getting ready to burn somebody's butt for that violation? [Linked Image]

Donnie

[This message has been edited by txsparky (edited 03-14-2003).]
© ECN Electrical Forums