ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 516 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Broom Pusher and
For me it would be three things:

1: Insufficient bonding of equipment [using only the conduit for grounding in liew of a grounding conductor]. That one has only a few places where it's not bad, but mostly it is a hazard over time.,

2: Allowing [in the past] the use of a Gray conductor for use as an Ungrounded conductor and the stipulation of a "Natural Gray" conductor for the Grounded conductor. This should have never been allowed. I have seen Natural Gray only a few times and under some lighting, it looks the same as any other gray. It should have been reserved for either a grounded conductor [my preference, so it can identify separate multiwire systems in one enclosure], or only an ungrounded conductor - but never both as to the color variant of natural gray.
I've heard some of the home center personnel tell someone that it is a "hot wire" [ungrounded], but never a "neutral" [grounded]. This scares the heck out of me!!,

3: Cold water system for grounding electrode supplemental. This isn't really too bad until it falls into a 1000 amp service being supplemented to a 3/4" water pipe, or it being the sole electrode. Bonding of it is OK [to an extent! too much parallel current flowing in some places]. This whole GES situation is so controversial and mis understood by people that it's difficult to discuss without heated arguments or offending someone accidentally. To me, the worst thing for a lightning discharge grounding system would be to use the local underground water system, since the discharge is commonly connected to anyone's system that has a connection to the pipe. The UFER system to me is a better approach, since it will spread the discharge path locally to only that site.
The problem of paths created on the local utility power distribution is, of course, the key issue of bringing discharges in and out from remote locations, but it's limited to potential by relatively small conductors that do not always run in straight lines. Besides, the most crucial problem exists in the ground it's self prior to the discharge, so setting up a large grid is asking for trouble!

These are just my rant and rave thoughts, so please feel free to comment. If you must flame me, please keep it light! [Linked Image]

Scott.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
Scott.....what is "UFER"

T
Sparky aa concrete encased electrode [Article 250-50(c)]is what is refered to as a "Ufer Ground".It is named after H.G.Ufer who did extensive research on the topic.

S
Thanks rain4; [Linked Image] and i thought the Soares book i have said it all....

Tom Offline
Originally posted by sparky66wv:
As far as new construction (residential) to this day I'd like to see no more of:

1) Over-crowded boxes (at least within reason...)

2) Conductors too short (although '99 code has clarified their intentions of the 6" free conductor rule as more lenient than my interpretation of the '96 code)

Honorable mention...
Lack of anti-oxidant on aluminum connections.

As far as I know, there is absolutely no requirement in the NEC to use anti-oxidant on aluminum conductors. There isn't even a UL White Book requirement that I can find. I agree that it is best to use it though.

My favorites are more than one conductor per terminal and using 14 gauge wire for switch legs on 20 amp circuits.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
S
Ok, how 'bout the "neat & workmanlike" part [Linked Image] I'm a little tired of those overstuffed panels , can't even see the noodle bar, kinda like stuffin'' a bunch of mop heads in a ceral box... [Linked Image]

Tom,

You're right!
At least, I can't find it either...

Funny how the mind works...it's been so ingrained into my thinking that I can almost picture the page that the "anti-oxidant rule" is on, even though it doesn't exist...

I stand corrected.

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
'66 (Is that good for you?)

I could swear that I have seen it myself. Perhaps in a Handbook? It could have been 10 - 15 years ago, but I can almost see it too. Mentioning dissimilar metals and oxidation? I'll have to look and see if I can find it. [Linked Image]

Bill
Tom Offline
Sparky66 & Bill

We could probably start a whole separate thread about the anti-oxidant isuue. If the manufacturer of the connector does not require its use, then for the most part, it isn't needed. I've seen 20 year old connections without the paste that are still good & I've seen also seen them burn up in less than a year. Probably has a lot to do with the installer & the environment. I do know that your chances of making a good connection are better with the paste.

Bill, I agree that the memory is a funny thing. Untill about a month ago, I would have swore that you had to use anti-short bushings with type MC cable. I was mistaken. I will continue to use them.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
Yeah, '66 is fine by me...

It may have been in the '96 Am. Electrician's Handbook, but I haven't got a copy of it right now...(on loan)

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard