ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 180 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
Thanks Brian. That explains a lot. I thought it was somewhat odd that most ethernet magnetics provide much greater isolation than required by the safety standard. My thinking was it was for use in a greater range of applications and maybe even for use where the Norway/Sweden deviations apply, but that didn't make since because the parts only had a hipot rating and not supplementary insulation with a stated creepage/clearance figure.

So, based on the info you've given, it seems there are a certain number of ethernet products out there that may not conform to all of the IEEE specs. (I'll keep make/model notes on testing I do in the future)

H
Funny thing here is what's missing. What did the installer have to say about this? Certainly he can provide the details on what happend on his end- if it happened at all. What about a statement from the cable company?

This smells like day old fish.

This is so catastropic, one-sided and written by someone who apparently has no technical knowledge that I have a hard time believing that this actually happened.

Until there are some answers I would chalk this up as another hoax and not waste any time on it.

-Hal

E
e57 Offline
For the sake of multiple conversations at multple sites... [Linked Image] My responce to Don...

Don RG-6's impedance value is based on the center conductor vs the shield and the capacitive effect between the two - if this was on the shield, or likely both, due to skin effect of the current travel you would have something the equivilent of #2 as a path to ground. (Remember the cable was not used as a limited conductor carrying a CATV signal) And the paths to ground could be anywhere... Via the hub to anything (all paths) connected to it, to a phone or DSL modem, computer power supply, through other RG6 connections...

We'll agree to disagree, but I'll maintain that it happened exactly as decribed with the given details.....

I'll add a correction - something equivilent to #4-3...

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
R
seems like comcast cable employees are around allot of explosions lol.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2006/11/20/ap3192492.html

maybe this time he was trying to hook up the lines to the gas. lol

S
Thanks Brian. That explains a lot. I thought it was somewhat odd that most ethernet magnetics provide much greater isolation than required by the safety standard. My thinking was it was for use in a greater range of applications and maybe even for use where the Norway/Sweden deviations apply, but that didn't make since because the parts only had a hipot rating and not supplementary insulation with a stated creepage/clearance figure.

So, based on the info you've given, it seems there are a certain number of ethernet products out there that may not conform to all of the IEEE specs. (I'll keep make/model notes on testing I do in the future)
The history on this is that the prototype 3 megabit Ethernet at Xerox PARC encountered around 90 volts differential in ground potential from one part of the building to another. That was problem. [Linked Image] So when we wrote the spec for the 10 MB Ethernet, which could have coax segments spanning distances of as much as 500 meters, we made sure that we were adequately covered for differences in ground potential.

It would appear that subsequent revisions of the standard have retained this philosophy.

[This message has been edited by SolarPowered (edited 12-21-2006).]

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard