ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 559 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
shock, you did right.

i think 36" here in NJ, possibly 48". Not positive though. I just know that they are alway below us.

L
LK Offline
Good to hear, things worked out well for you, hope you don't think we were being tough on you, but this is a good topic, for others to learn from.

"get it fixed but have the plumber bill the homeowner. You might split the costs."

I like my customers, and value them they are my golden egg, when i break it i pay for it.

"We've put it in our u/g work contracts that we're not responsible for lines that are not located."

In this part of the country, it's the contractor digging that is responsible for locating the lines, we call line mark for the utilities, and we check the rest of the property before any digging is started, If you read your contractors policy, underground work, has a lot of exclusions.

S
Every time I visit this site I learn something. I posted about what happened to me for the sole purpose of learning other ways of dealing with something like this. The more opinions the better. That's how we all learn and that's why I posted about what happened to me. No, I don't think anyone is being tough on me. Sometimes though when I post I am beyond stressed-out and can be unreasonable. That just goes with the territory I suppose.

A
You would think they should have a shut off on the line. Also I was thinking the same about the locator service not marking customer owned lines. I seen customer owned lines with tracer wires attached. I don't know if they can locate a plastic line without a tracer wire.

E
e57 Offline
ShockMe77, I feel your pain.....

I once "hole-sawed" a 2 1/2" section out of a 1" galvy gas line. I was on a remodel site, it was loud, and I did check under where I was drilling. However I didnt check good enough, (used my hand instead of getting under there and looking) and didn't hear the hissing, or smell gas until I removed the 'plug' I made with hole saw. At which point it was a whooshing noise and potent gas smell with a 2 1/2 " gap in the pipe. I was fortunate there was a plumber on site, and got it back together after several hours and a hefty change order / back charge. Things happen, lessons are learned.... [Linked Image]

I'm just gonna re-emphasize what others have said.

Most plasic gas lines have a "Ground" wire, usually a yellow insulated #8 solid run with them, (I think it is in thier codes to do so? I believe the pipe is to be yellow too?) and you can tone it out yourself. Utility companies wont mark past their meter, or entrance to the property. So in this case you just you are left to either hire out someone to trace it, or do it in house if you have the equipment, or rent it. But when it comes to plastic water, or irrigation lines your are screwed. So when in doubt - Hand dig.... Or better yet, "Trenching by Others" located on the contract in bold print. [Linked Image]

I would have called a 24 hour service company to get thier butts out there on the spot, sometimes you cant be stingy.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
W
Why would a gas line be below the frost line?gas may freeze but not at 32 f . The main lines aren't below frost line, why would a private line?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard