ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 516 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#62219 02/13/06 03:47 PM
Dave:
After reading your comments, I see where you're coming from regarding the $$$ angle.

Here in NJ, the Board of Appeals provides a method to address 'problems, for a $50 fee.
Add to that loosing probably what amounts to a day's pay for the time you have to expend. Personally, I try to solve the situation one-on-one.

Yes, we may still have a "clueless" cowboy, but....the AHJ Continuing Ed is 3x8 hrs for inspectors, plus 2x8 hrs for 'Administrator' and I believe plus 2x8 hrs for CO. The 'seminars' are run by the State DCA, and Certificates are issued upon completion. The AHJ is subject to a CEU audit upon Lic. renewal (3 year period), just like the EC's.

No, our system is not perfect, but IMHO, it may be a lot better than some horror stories I read here.

As LK said "Not here in Jersey, most inspectors here, are very professional, intresting to hear that some states, are still in the dark ages with inspections" Thanks, Les for the compliment to those of us who consider ourselves "professionals", both as AHJ's and EC's.

John

John
#62220 02/14/06 11:37 AM
A
I'm glad that N.J. , N.C. , and FL. require their inspectors to meet some level of competence. Now for the other 47 states...
IMHO knowing a politician has more to do with being the inspector than knowing the Code.
I have been certified since 1981 and recently got the IAEI/NFPA certificate for master electrical inspector. Many inspectors are not certified, even those that require electricians to be licensed.
I was appointed by the Mayor, and repointed by the two following Mayors.
Politics got me in the door, competence kept me there.
Alan--

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard