ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 523 guests, and 32 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#60472 01/04/06 06:20 PM
B
Everyone says that Klein has this great replacement warranty. Has anyone actually tried it?

I've read through it ( here ), and from the sound of it there are almost no circumstances under which they will replace your tool. If the tool simply "wears out" it's not under warranty, and if you damage a screwdriver from beating on it, the warranty is void. Seems to me darn near anything that happens to a tool they can claim over-use or abuse. After I learned that, I'm thinking about buying a small cold-chisel to carry around instead of using my flat-heads.

I think the locknut tools are a waste. The size locknuts that the wrenches fit can be more easily tightened by simply turning the connector.

-John

#60473 01/04/06 06:35 PM
I bought one of those "can opener" style locknut wrenches a few years back.
It lasted nearly all day.

#60474 01/04/06 07:18 PM
T
During summer I had a short tiem of practice with an electrical contractor. Since I was only on pratcice I had to use the other guy's tools. Tell you, there wasn't a single screw driver around that hadn't been beaten to death! Side cutters were the universal tool for everything, from stripping wires and cables to loosening or tightening nuts. I don't claim I treat my own tools too well, but I don't do stuff like that!
Using an old screwdriver for a chisel is common practice here. Plumbers also use their screwdrivers to nail copper pipe to brick walls until the mortar has set...

#60475 01/05/06 07:50 AM
M
My understanding of Klein's warranty is that they don't cover normal wear and tear, abuse, or use inconsistent with the tool's design. So, if you use your screw driver has a pry bar and snap it in half, you're SOL. As Big John mentioned it doesn't seem so remote that almost any tool failure could be covered in one of those three catagories.

Craftsman (and others) offer unconditional replacement on their hand tools. For those who use this screwdrivers as chisels, etc. it might not be a bad idea to pick up a set of those and leave the Kleins for screwing.

#60476 01/05/06 08:03 AM
I
I bought one of those "can opener" style locknut wrenches a few years back.
It lasted nearly all day.

Thanks for the tip as I was thinking of ordering one.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#60477 01/05/06 11:46 PM
P
This thread is as sick as a cucumber in a bowl of butterscotch pudding.
Supposed intelligent electricians don't seem to realize the difference between a screwdriver and a chisel. Jeez, it has a handle and a metal shaft with a flat end, so what's the diff'?
I've always had a respect for tools and when I started out as an apprentice, the first things I bought included a $3 3/8" cold chisel and a 1/2" Stanley, Contractor Grade wood chisel. [$8 if you can afford it.]
Incidently, Japan Woodworker sells some wood chisels for upwards of $500.
~Peter

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard