ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 504 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
F
as far this time i am typing on the post here the metro of New Orleans area i overlook the mistake when i told Mike [Trumpy] about the numbers of dewater pumps the correct figures is 118 if i catch it right and as i am typing now the metro de New Orleans have 26 pumps running but few other are not running due it was sumgered in water and have to clean up first and few other pumps required non standard HZ to order to run the large pumps [25 HZ et some are on DC also ] so in short while the portable pumpers are really pumping the water but the biggest one is pump No. 3 aka big daddy it will pump a MILLION gallon water a min [ 3.8 million liter a min ]but they have to ramp up slow before it will run at full throttle due the levees et dykes to advoid anymore damage but for other details i will post it more as the time go by

p.s. first three pumps are straght diesel driven and did remove water about a inch per hour [will let you know more details later ]

Merci, Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

D
Trumpy, do you guys have a procedure/directive that would prohibit you from spaying chemicals on a fire?

The flood waters, so I hear, are full of chemicals, gasoline, ebloi, and such.

What happens if you spray this on a fire?

Could this be a reason they can't use the water?

Dnk.

D
Originally Posted by gfretwell:
I have a dumb question for the firefighters here.
I keep seeing/hearing that they can't fight fires because there isn't any water pressure. Isn't a fire engine a truck with a big pump on it? Why can't they just drop the suction hose in the water they are standing in and pump that?

Not a dumb question.

IMHO (and experience as an urban FF for the past 15 years) most urban departments (hydranted) don't have the experience or equipment to draft from standing water. They've been operating on a positive water supply since the City established one. The rural depts would be better at it.

In addition, due to the chemicals in the water (and debris) drafting would be a difficult endeavor at best. Unlike a "gabage pump" like we use to de-water basements, manholes and such, most fire pumps are small-vaned centrifugal pumps. Many would fail if subjected to the floodwaters for long periods of time.

Just my $0.02.

Doug

G
Thanks Doug. I have been hearing the same thing. I guess it is just a <city> firetruck thing.
I know our brush fire truck can suck water out of the proverbial "muddy hoof print".
It never occured to me when I see that truck running on a dwelling fire off the public water "grid".

Greg Fretwell
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard