ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 521 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Wish I had a picture of the yellow caution tape on a 12kv line. Not sure which is worse, being close enough to tie the tape on, or actually tieing it on. Unbelieveable

Curt,
This ain't good at all, mate. [Linked Image]
If they are close enough to the lines to be able to tie yellow tape to them, they are well within any Minimum Approach Distances for this level of voltage.
Another thing, I believe the Homeowner is liable here, because the lines were not covered with line-hose before the work even started on-site.
It's also widely known amongst Line workers, that you never work near lines unless they are isolated and grounded, or appropriate cover-up equipment is supplied and used.
I think some-one's in trouble here.
Personally Curt, I would have rung the Utility right there and then. [Linked Image]

L
LK Offline
Mike,
I still can't understand how they are relocating these lines without the utility being involved, every step of the way, and how did he get to build a house on a utility right of way? I have seen utility take right of way from homeowner but never seen a homeowner take right of way from utility.
Sure would like to know more about this one.

Les,
I couldn't agree more.
Regardless of the work involved, cable for 12kV isn't exactly the sort of thing that you can buy at the corner store.
Yes, I'd also be interested to know who allowed this building to be constructed so close to the lines and wether the Utility was even asked in the first place about the house's proximity to the lines.
Any Utility would have an interest in any work this close to linework and if they haven't been consulted, I'd imagine they'd be reasonably peeved and could also ask for the building to be removed, if it is this close.
Over here at least, to do any work near our PoCo lines, you have to get an Overhead Access Permit from the PoCo and maintain a minimum spacing of 4 metres (12ft) from the lines at all times and have a PoCo safety observer on site during the work.

C
caselec Offline OP
Mike & Les

The utility is involved in this project. They are giving back the easement rights where these lines are currently located and the property owner had to grant new easement rights where the new lines are located. The utility engineered the project and we are installing all of the underground substructures (conduit, vaults, ground rods, mule tape, etc). The utility will pull the cable and make the terminations. The problem is the property owner did not wait until the relocation work was finished before building the structure. The utility inspectors have been at the site several times recently but apparently didn’t walk up the hill to the new house location and see how close the lines were. I didn’t realize that the roof was so close to these lines until Monday when I was at the project. I was at the project today and the framers have stopped working on the roof in this area so hopefully they decided to listen and will stay away until we get the existing overhead lines relocated in a couple of weeks.

Curt

Curt Swartz
Administrator
The attached picture is of the caution tape tied to the 12kv lines. The tape was tied on over the new 2 story house which is just to the left of this picture but the wind has blown much of it down line. My camera battery went dead after I took this picture so couldn’t get any pictures of the lines running over the house.

- caselec
[Linked Image]

Curt,
Good picture.
How on earth did they get up there?.
Judging by the picture, it looks like these lines have been broken before, going by the joints to the right of the pole.

{Oops, can't tell left from right} [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 02-09-2005).]

B

[Linked Image from 6l6.net]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard