ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 595 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#42427 09/21/04 09:50 AM
R
I feel your pain.

I used to work with a guy that did that on the job. If we needed switches, he would ask me "Do we have enough Cs115W's to finish the second floor"?

[Linked Image]

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
#42428 09/21/04 12:14 PM
M
hi again...i think it is great if you want to learn the part numbers, i do pretty well on that

the reason i brought this whole silly thing up is that it seems that more and more we are replacing a name with a number..thats great in todays world. it does pay off to be able to make a parts list using only numbers...i do it...i always give a description too...

i do not mind helping the parts house guys..you have to keep them happy...

on the job speaking to a client or an asociate i will call out a number and get a dumb look..then say oh a box or a connector..

when you are dealing with a helper who is still a green horn, an X needs to be an X and EYS needs to be an EYS...a fishtape is a fishtape ...

thanks for the great replies...

interesting jibberish

mustang

#42429 09/21/04 06:04 PM
J
So just run out to the truck and grab a length of unistrut, or kindorf, or versabar, or superstrut..... I usually work in part numbers, after I started off in the warehouse of my company I know it makes the other guys jobs easier. But I have seen a problem with trade slang or brand names used that don't exist in other parts of the country, the last job I was on in Florida I asked the EC for smoe chicklets and he gave me a blank stare, they are otherwise known as dolphin connectors. Maybe somebody knows them as something else, but part number is a part number anywhere in the country. Just my .02

Jim

#42430 09/25/04 03:40 PM
N
I have a hard time remembering numbers so I rely on the guy at the counter to know the number. Hasn't been a problem. And if it is I just tell them to give me what I need, not what I asked for. lol
I do admire those of you that can recall all those numbers.

#42431 09/25/04 04:12 PM
E
When I'm in the supply house or filling out an order to fax in, I always use the number if I know it. It assures that I'm going to get the right part. In the feild I use the trade name.

Someone else touched on this, but what about products with multiple trade names. What do you do then? What do you call those metal straps that will hold a box in the wall? I've always known them as Jiffy Clips, but I've heard them called F clips, Maddison clips and Battleship clips.

How do you order 1/2" x 1" staples? I always order SN-40's, even though our supply house has been sending us another brand (not Briscon) recently.

#42432 09/25/04 06:24 PM
G
some folks call it greenfield..imagine that!

Not sure what you mean by this.

Here they have taught me that "Greenfield" is the flex without the insulation and "Flex" has the rubber insulation. If that makes sense. So Yeah I guess some people do call it "Greenfield" [Linked Image]

"If common sense was common, everyone would have it"-not sure, someone here

#42433 09/26/04 06:57 AM
E
So what the hell is a "1900" anyway? [Linked Image]

#42434 09/26/04 07:43 AM
I
Scott I think this is a '1900'

[Linked Image from hubbellcatalog.com]

I just call it a 4" square with 1/2" KOs. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#42435 09/26/04 07:46 AM
The whole thing varies a lot with the locale.

If you went to a wholesaler here in SoCA and ordered flex, you'd get FMC. If you ordered Greenfieldor a 1900, you'd probably get a raised eyebrow and a "huh?".

My material orders usually include a description, and a part # "or equal". That way I get what I want....usually.
Specific items will get a # and a "no sub".

The more descriptive your order, the better chance you have of having it filled to your satisfaction. I've had guys in the field call in orders for "stuff", "whatchamacallits (You know, Scott, like the ones you sent before)" [Linked Image].
That just doesn't work...S

#42436 09/26/04 07:59 AM
I
When talking to the other people on the job I do not usually use part numbers.

But just as electure and Electric Eagle have mentioned when faxing in an order I give part numbers and just like electure I will say this part or =.

I think a lot of this has to do with if you are picking the stock up or having it delivered to the job.

99.9% of what I order is shipped to the job or shop. If it comes in wrong it will be at least 24 hrs before I get what I need. Add to that now I need to do paper work for returns. [Linked Image]

Having learned the hard way I have a milk case full of catalogs I bring job to job just so I can use part numbers on matrial requests. [Linked Image]

I did not know what a 1900 was, our number is Raco 232. [Linked Image].

While we are talking trade names does any other area use the term "Baldy"? [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard