ECN Forum
Posted By: mustangelectric Trade Name or Number? - 09/20/04 11:19 PM
I hate it when people talk numbers instead of trade names!

don't walk into the supply house and say:

give me a hundred 1900's and 20 220's!

you sound like an accountant or something!

if it is flex call it flex it if it is a duck call it a duck!

we dont want to lose a very important part of our trade. pretty soon everything will be known as a number!

10-4 good buddy?

mustang

[This message has been edited by mustangelectric (edited 09-20-2004).]

[This message has been edited by mustangelectric (edited 09-20-2004).]
Posted By: royta Re: Trade Name or Number? - 09/20/04 11:39 PM
OK, no more "14-3". It's now "14/3 w/ ground NM-B".

Sorry [Linked Image]
Posted By: Fred Re: Trade Name or Number? - 09/20/04 11:57 PM
I always say the part number in the supply house. It eliminates any ambiguity as to what I'm after. If I said give me 4x4 j-boxes I might get Raco 190s when I wanted 232s. If I said I wanted romex box connectors I might get Arlington Black Buttons when I wanted Neer C-500s. I ask for a Neer ECO-105 instead of a 2" 200A clamp-on entrance cap because it's less words to say. After all, I'm trying to drink a cup of coffee while I'm there and the less I talk, the more I can sip.
Posted By: MONOLITH Re: Trade Name or Number? - 09/21/04 12:11 AM
"After all, I'm trying to drink a cup of coffee while I'm there and the less I talk, the more I can sip."

[Linked Image]
Posted By: CTwireman Re: Trade Name or Number? - 09/21/04 01:30 AM
Mustang,

we dont want to lose a very important part of our trade. pretty soon everything will be known as a number!

I can't see how this is a big deal.

I worked for a large distributor and I can tell you the language of the wholesale business is all part numbers. Of course, the trade name is important, but you don't input "flex" into the computer, you input part numbers.

Where I worked, a new counter guy wasn't considered "good and trained" until he had hundreds of part numbers memorized.

We had certain contractors who were pretty savvy with part numbers. They were the "easy" customers. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Believe me, having the customer call out part numbers was far easier than "I need a couple 4" squares."

"OK, what kind? Deep, shallow, side bracket, 1/2" KO's, combo???" And on it went.

Sorry, part numbers aren't going anywhere soon. [Linked Image]

Peter
Posted By: mustangelectric Re: Trade Name or Number? - 09/21/04 01:37 AM
ok..ok..i see your point but how about only in the supply house..is that how you train a helper?

as far as what the big deal is...there is no big deal...i guess a 1900 is ok..

i just like to hear the lingo not the numbers..

when i first started in 76 we didnt have computers..we had a etch a sketch..

i think the number is ok in some context but it mostly depends on where your from i guess..some folks call it greenfield..imagine that!

mustang
Posted By: CTwireman Re: Trade Name or Number? - 09/21/04 02:05 AM
Mustang,

OK, now we agree on something. [Linked Image] When training an apprentice, they absolutely need to be taught and know the trade slang. No question about it.

My main point is that knowing the numbers makes part ordering 100 times easier.

Peter
Posted By: twh Re: Trade Name or Number? - 09/21/04 02:29 AM
Each manufacturer has a number for each part. Each wholesaler has a number for each part for each manufacturer whose parts they stock. Each contractor has a unique system, sometimes combining wholesalers' or manufacturers' parts, and other times not. Then, the manufacturers change their numbers, and we move to different contractors.

How many of you know what a squa0001 is? I'll give you a hint, it's smaller than a squa0003, and there is no squa0002 (actually there is, but it isn't electrical).

I insist on calling a duck a duck, and if I want to be specific, I ask for a Daffy, Donald or Daisy. duck0001 is b.s.
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Trade Name or Number? - 09/21/04 04:47 AM
Not to stir things up, but I would like to learn / remember / know more Manufacturers' Part Numbers than the Hand-full I can remember right now!
This would be very helpful when making Material orders by Phone or Fax (or even in Person), and the Person receiving the order pulls the Correct Part per My Description.
(Minimize Re-Stocking and Returns + Loss of productive time or lower counter-production... sound like a P.M., huh?...).
The Communication Breakdown between Myself and Supply House Staff from Trade-Name / Slang terms vs. Stock Number / Possible Matches, has occured minimally (so far!).
At present, the percentage of mistaken orders would be <3% - which is great! I am striving for <1% or less!

The Persons working at the Wholesale House are more familiar with Part numbers, so I should be trying to give them proper information ... IMHO.

Any suggestions on the best method to obtain this new goal? Mfg. Manuals?, Ask the Counter Persons?
Any suggestions are gladly welcomed.

Scott35
Posted By: DougW Re: Trade Name or Number? - 09/21/04 01:43 PM
I know T&B has a CD-ROM with their full catalog on it - as long as you can run Adobe Acrobat, it's actually pretty easy to use.

IIRC, most other Mfg's have them as well.

Since I don't have a laptop, and my Pocket PC has disappeared [Linked Image] , my job box in my truck has a bunch of the mini-brochures from Erico, B-line, etc...
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Trade Name or Number? - 09/21/04 01:50 PM
I feel your pain.

I used to work with a guy that did that on the job. If we needed switches, he would ask me "Do we have enough Cs115W's to finish the second floor"?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mustangelectric Re: Trade Name or Number? - 09/21/04 04:14 PM
hi again...i think it is great if you want to learn the part numbers, i do pretty well on that

the reason i brought this whole silly thing up is that it seems that more and more we are replacing a name with a number..thats great in todays world. it does pay off to be able to make a parts list using only numbers...i do it...i always give a description too...

i do not mind helping the parts house guys..you have to keep them happy...

on the job speaking to a client or an asociate i will call out a number and get a dumb look..then say oh a box or a connector..

when you are dealing with a helper who is still a green horn, an X needs to be an X and EYS needs to be an EYS...a fishtape is a fishtape ...

thanks for the great replies...

interesting jibberish

mustang
Posted By: JCooper Re: Trade Name or Number? - 09/21/04 10:04 PM
So just run out to the truck and grab a length of unistrut, or kindorf, or versabar, or superstrut..... I usually work in part numbers, after I started off in the warehouse of my company I know it makes the other guys jobs easier. But I have seen a problem with trade slang or brand names used that don't exist in other parts of the country, the last job I was on in Florida I asked the EC for smoe chicklets and he gave me a blank stare, they are otherwise known as dolphin connectors. Maybe somebody knows them as something else, but part number is a part number anywhere in the country. Just my .02

Jim
Posted By: Norstarr Re: Trade Name or Number? - 09/25/04 07:40 PM
I have a hard time remembering numbers so I rely on the guy at the counter to know the number. Hasn't been a problem. And if it is I just tell them to give me what I need, not what I asked for. lol
I do admire those of you that can recall all those numbers.
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: Trade Name or Number? - 09/25/04 08:12 PM
When I'm in the supply house or filling out an order to fax in, I always use the number if I know it. It assures that I'm going to get the right part. In the feild I use the trade name.

Someone else touched on this, but what about products with multiple trade names. What do you do then? What do you call those metal straps that will hold a box in the wall? I've always known them as Jiffy Clips, but I've heard them called F clips, Maddison clips and Battleship clips.

How do you order 1/2" x 1" staples? I always order SN-40's, even though our supply house has been sending us another brand (not Briscon) recently.
Posted By: GA76JW Re: Trade Name or Number? - 09/25/04 10:24 PM
some folks call it greenfield..imagine that!

Not sure what you mean by this.

Here they have taught me that "Greenfield" is the flex without the insulation and "Flex" has the rubber insulation. If that makes sense. So Yeah I guess some people do call it "Greenfield" [Linked Image]
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Trade Name or Number? - 09/26/04 10:57 AM
So what the hell is a "1900" anyway? [Linked Image]
Posted By: iwire Re: Trade Name or Number? - 09/26/04 11:43 AM
Scott I think this is a '1900'

[Linked Image from hubbellcatalog.com]

I just call it a 4" square with 1/2" KOs. [Linked Image]
Posted By: electure Re: Trade Name or Number? - 09/26/04 11:46 AM
The whole thing varies a lot with the locale.

If you went to a wholesaler here in SoCA and ordered flex, you'd get FMC. If you ordered Greenfieldor a 1900, you'd probably get a raised eyebrow and a "huh?".

My material orders usually include a description, and a part # "or equal". That way I get what I want....usually.
Specific items will get a # and a "no sub".

The more descriptive your order, the better chance you have of having it filled to your satisfaction. I've had guys in the field call in orders for "stuff", "whatchamacallits (You know, Scott, like the ones you sent before)" [Linked Image].
That just doesn't work...S
Posted By: iwire Re: Trade Name or Number? - 09/26/04 11:59 AM
When talking to the other people on the job I do not usually use part numbers.

But just as electure and Electric Eagle have mentioned when faxing in an order I give part numbers and just like electure I will say this part or =.

I think a lot of this has to do with if you are picking the stock up or having it delivered to the job.

99.9% of what I order is shipped to the job or shop. If it comes in wrong it will be at least 24 hrs before I get what I need. Add to that now I need to do paper work for returns. [Linked Image]

Having learned the hard way I have a milk case full of catalogs I bring job to job just so I can use part numbers on matrial requests. [Linked Image]

I did not know what a 1900 was, our number is Raco 232. [Linked Image].

While we are talking trade names does any other area use the term "Baldy"? [Linked Image]
Posted By: walrus Re: Trade Name or Number? - 09/26/04 12:44 PM
I remember no(and I mean none [Linked Image] ) part numbers, thats what a parts guy needs to know. If I want a 1/2 hub bell box, thats what I ask for. If the parts guy is any good, he/she goes and gets it. I'm usually amazed with the wholesalers I deal as the parts guys know the numbers as soon as I say what I want.
Posted By: PCBelarge Re: Trade Name or Number? - 09/26/04 01:19 PM
Bob
we have a bunch of "baldy's" on the job - especially now with so many guys shaving their heads [Linked Image]

Pierre
© ECN Electrical Forums