ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 516 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Duplicate post removed

[This message has been edited by Mean Gene (edited 06-03-2004).]

T
I read some more about it. Makes sense. The pipe is one long cathode.

M
This system, cathodic ground is also used for fuel systems in gas stations. It does use a consumable rod that has to be tested and replaced as needed.

The parallel paths are one reason plumbers don't like grounded pipes, another is that some people don't follow the proper bonding procedure and/or don't know what they're doing and there's nothing like being knee deep in water and having a 3 inch spark jump off a pipe when you break a union.

B
“…dog's leash or an antenna”? Totally weird.

B
I swear the new gas meters look like plastic and feel like plastic when you rap on them.

Bob,
I used to bond gas all the time, until I had an AHJ tell me to remove it per So Cal Gas Co. I called So Cal Gas & asked for a formal opinion on this... I received a letter from them... 2 or 3 cities that have asked for this since then, I showed the letter & 1 of them nixed requiring me to do this... This plays out as the fun of doing a job with 2 entities butting heads with each other... If they want it, I bond it... But after being told to remove it, I only do it where requested... Should I bring the NEC requirements up to the gas company? [Linked Image]

-Randy

I
Randy I can only go buy the products I see in use here.

Here it would be impossible for the gas pipe not to be bonded, by way of the EGC to the stove or the EGC to a furnace / boiler.

I do not see how you can really comply with the gas companies request, with out cutting the EGC off of gas appliances. [Linked Image]

If they want to come in and put dielectric fittings in place that might work.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
T
“…dog's leash or an antenna”? Totally weird.

It's an East Coast thing.

R
Randy,
If the gas company objects to bonding the interior gas piping, tell them to look at their code, NFPA 54, The Fuel Gas Code, it is where the NEC gas piping bonding rule comes from.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
B
ThinkGood — Indeed, I should not question local practices or customs anywhere, especially 1000+ miles away.

Foot-in-mouth disease for me.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard