ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
240V only in a home and NEC?
by HotLine1 - 05/14/24 03:41 PM
Electricians revenge
by gfretwell - 05/09/24 08:24 PM
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 192 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#33202 01/21/04 01:39 AM
E
elecbob Offline OP
The job went great! I used all Leviton push-in jacks on the load end of the network and a 12 bay patch panel on the line end. For the phones I used the Leviton jacks on both ends. Everything rang out correctly with no cross connections.My supply house didn't have the Leviton parts in house so I went to the orange palace. I ordered a 3COM 3C16702A hub for the phones. I will install it and use patch cords to connect it to the jacks. The phone vender is installing a 66 patch panel and connecting it to the lines from the utility. The whole job equired 15 labor hours. Would I do it again? You betcha!
Thanks again for all your help.
Bob

#33203 01/21/04 10:19 PM
J
hbiss,

What would happen if you were to use a 8 pin jack for voice?

If you only terminate the wh/bl or wh/or pairs doesn't that limit the ability to change the function of that jack at a patch panel for structured wiring?

I' m in the middle of my first structured wiring job and know I still have a lot to learn.

#33204 01/22/04 12:07 AM
H
Elecbob, you're not in Kansas any more!

Push-in jacks= keystone jacks
Load end= work stations or extension jacks
Line end= telephone or server closet/room

You have to learn to talk the talk and walk the walk! This isn't electrical work.

For the phones I ordered a 3COM 3C16702A hub.
Huh? That's an ethernet hub for the network. Why are you supplying that anyway. That's up to the computer guy to provide.

#33205 01/22/04 12:51 AM
H
Jim:
Though it's probably done frequently, I never recommend that one wiring system be installed that can alternate between voice and data. We always provide CAT 5e (currently) for the network and CAT 3 for voice. The CAT 5 is terminated on 8 pin 568B jacks while the CAT 3 is terminated on 6 position 4 pin USOC jacks. The first two pairs are normally punched down, the other two are spares. The spares can be used for faxes, modems or even another phone. The additional jacks are added to the plate as necessary. The reasons for all of this are:

1) CAT 3 plenum is much cheaper than CAT 5e plenum.
2) CAT 3 is easier to terminate because you don't have to untwist tightly twisted pairs.
3) CAT 3 is easier to "tone out".
4) The network and telephone system are two completely different animals most often maintained and administered by different people.
5) The network wiring gets terminated on a patch panel which in turn is connected to a hub or router with patch cords.
6) The voice wiring gets terminated on a 66 or 110 block. From there the first two pairs are cross connected to a similar block from the key system or PBX. The spare pairs, where used, are cross connected to whatever they need to be connected to. You can't do this with a patch panel.
7) Most voice terminals (telephones) use the familiar 4 pin 6 position plug. While they will fit into an 8 position jack, the sides of the smaller plug can damage the two outside contacts on the jack.
8) Voice terminals use USOC jacks. The two pairs are the normal w/bl and w/or which are pairs 1 and 2. 568B data jacks use w/bl and w/gn as the corresponding pairs if you were to use it for voice. Very confusing especially since they are punched down in order of 1, 2, 3, 4 at the block.

#33206 01/22/04 11:31 AM
E
elecbob Offline OP
Sorry hbiss. I've been really busy with work and I composed the reply rather hastily. Next time I will wait till things slow down and I can take the time to write coherantly.
bob

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard