ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 364 guests, and 37 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Rowdy

I
iwire Offline OP
I would welcome any building inspector into my home, as I would a policeman, fireman, etc.
I've nothing to hide, and they're on my side.
Apathy will not help us...

I agree I have nothing to hide at my home either, I could invite the police or AHJ over anytime.

However I am not prepared to give up a right that many others have died for.

You are also right apathy will not help us, we must be diligent in defending the rights that we are lucky enough to have because of other peoples sacrifices.

I will step off the soapbox now. [Linked Image]

JMO, Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Is there no middle ground?
I absolutely will not defend the "rights" of a storekeeper to have a hazardous place where a 4 year old child can be electrocuted because someone thinks that they have the "right" to do things in any way they see fit.

G
I can understand public buildings,rental housing,office space etc.

But I shudder to think the cops could show up at my home with a warrant for some real or imagined "violation" with a building/electrical inspector in tow.

Once you get"in the system" your chances of being vindicated decrease dramatically. In the meantime,your house is condemmed,your family is out on the street,and you sit in the county jail,awaiting trial because your panel cover was off.

Far fetched? maybe. Ask the people whose homes are being taken away by municipalities under the guise of "imminent domain" and then sold to developers who build something that generates more tax revenue.

OK,I'm off the soapbox as well.

Russell

OK,
I don't want to teeter on my soapbox, either.
We already have a Code Enforcement dept. in nearly all our towns here.
They generally have an inspector that is overscheduled and really just pays lip service to those who have a neighbor's tree dropping sap on their Lexus. A real waste of time and money.
I'm not for invasion of privacy, but why act like a paranoid?
I rest my case...S

I
iwire Offline OP
Hey I am sure there can be some middle ground [Linked Image] I just do not see much middle ground in how 80.13(5) was written.

Your comment about a 4 year old child is well received here, with my 3 and 4 year old girls in sight as I type this.

why act like a paranoid?

Because there are always those that let a little power go to their head, never mind the power to enter residences at will.

In the area I work in we have regular inspections and the vast majority of the inspectors are great guys who would handle any power given to them responsibly.

However there are few I can think of that I would never want to have this power and one I know would be using this new power as often as possible. [Linked Image]

Bob

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 12-14-2003).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
S
Because there are always those that let a little power go to their head
one wouldn't think one need be more than a political turnip to hear the sound of jackboots lately Bob.

the two polar opposites that currently comprise 'authority' in our trade now run from the fascist authoritarians whom have cultivated thier own clics, to the anarchist 'don't need no essstinkin' badges' camp you allude to

any authority i would allow past my threashold, on my job, or otherwise in my affairs works for me , and if this trade had a #!@* shredof self respect it's leaders would see to this being the norm, dealt with an even hand throughout the nation.

D
In my State, we have had this in our State code for a long time. As a inspector myself, the Authorities use this to their advantages to gain access into homes and businesses. I beleive in some of this, except when it comes to the child protective service agencies. They seem to use us to try to take every child away. Almost to the point of where you are almost on the homeowners side, and it always seems to fall right around the holidays.
As in my 5 years as an AHJ, I have produced for the police over $400,000.00 of drugs and stolen property.
Doug

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard